A Mix And Match
of Spy Drama
and Odd Couple
. Often is lighter in tone than the usual Spy Drama
Truth in Television
- Black Widow and Bucky Barnes. Evident when Bucky took over as Captain America, but moreso in the ongoing Winter Soldier series.
- Michael and Nikita from Nikita.
- Chuck Bartowski and Sarah Walker from the television show Chuck.
- I Spy
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- The Avengers
- Spinelli's parents from Recess
- Get Smart is a parody of this genre (among other things).
- Scarecrow and Mrs. King featured a particularly Odd Couple, in which one was an experienced agent (Scarecrow, played by Bruce Boxleitner) and the other was Amanda King (played by Kate Jackson), a normal housewife complete with divorce, two kids, and live-in mother, who got involved in Scarecrow's spy hijinks in an amusingly contrived setup.
- Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable in Kim Possible.
- Adam and Fiona from Spooks actually were a Spy Couple, albeit in a darker toned drama. Until Fiona got killed by an annoyed Syrian. Adam got blown up by an exploding car in the season seven opener
- Snake and Otacon from Metal Gear.
- Mr and Mrs Smith a married couple that are both assassins, unknown to each other until they try to kill each other.
- Otacon and Adamska in the later parts of Stray.
- Carmen and Juni Cortez in Spy Kids. Also their parents, grandparents and the Giggles siblings.
- Michael Westen and Fiona Glennane in Burn Notice move in, out, and between this trope like it's nobody's business.
- Fillmore! and Third, although they aren't particularly odd.
- Sasha Nein and Milla Vodello from Psychonauts. Is there any question why?
- Jane and Jeff Blue from Undercover Blues, complete with their toddler daughter.
- The Continentals: A steampunk murder, mystery, adventure webcomic set in post Jack the Ripper England where Continental Operative Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe and his gender bending partner the adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg investigating a series of brutal "mangling" murders uncovers a tangled web of intrigue, adventure—And murder!!! Find it here.
- Alias has alpha couple Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn, who are a heroic version. Beta Couple Jack Bristow and Irina Derevko (Sydney's parents) are a different version - playing it straight at points in Season 2, and subverting it whenever Irina decided she was working for other people.
- Mary Pat Foley and Ed Foley in Cardinal Of The Kremlin.
- The entire premise of Undercovers.
- Joan and Arthur Campbell in Covert Affairs, who are the Beta Couple to Will They or Won't They? couple Annie and Auggie.
- As of season three, Auggie and Annie have firmly hit this trope.
- Finn McMissile and Holley Shiftwell from Cars 2 are merely partners, though Holley in the end falls for Mater, who is made an honorary spy later on.
- Jane and Jefferson Blue of Undercover Blues.
- Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, who appeared in four of Agatha Christie's novels and one short story collection.
- Boris and Irina from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, though theirs is described as a common-law marriage and the former may or may not be aware of the latter's status.
- Cammie & Zach from The Gallagher Girls
- In Belgariad sequel Mallorean, Silk and Velvet become this, although not without Silk being dragged kicking and screaming into the Deconfirmed Bachelor trope in the process. Still, they make far too good (and dangerously creative) team together and their fate is sealed (in fact, the Prophecy was adamant about them ending up together and seemed to feel Silk simply didn't know what was good for him without a little nudging).
- In the first two volumes of Belisarius Series, both Belisarius and Antonina are engageing in espionage on opposite sides of the world.
- Ivan and Tej in Captain Vorpatrils Alliance have traces of this.
- The Americans
- It has been known for the wives of CIA agents to assist their husbands on ops. In the dehumanizing eyes of authority, the wife is effectively an agent and the husband is The Handler. With due allowances made for the mundane Real Life of espionage it can actually resemble this trope, not least if the couple are close. However there is a dark side in that the unofficial status of CIA wives can give The Government an excuse for ingratitude.
- This of course refers to situations when only one is officially employed. The record doesn't seem to show many cases where both are officially employed and used in a team though that does not mean it never happens (this is, after all, espionage we're talking about).
- Additionally, the agent may be married to someone else who has government business, and they may support each other (if sometimes unwittingly) that way. Valerie Plame, for instance, is married to Joe Wilson, a career Foreign Service Officer.
- Of the ten Russian spies arrested in the USA in 2010, eight were married spy couples.
- Hu Simeng and Horst Gasde were a married couple in Berlin who acted as triple agents and played every agency in the area for fools.
- The authors of this ebook.
- Kenneth Benton Lisbon Chief of Station for MI6 and his wife Peggy helped in the managing of the famous "double-cross" network.