Long John Shoutout
Anytime you find a pirate in fiction or media, expect him to always have "Long John" in his name, as a Shout-Out
to Long John Silver from Treasure Island
, but not a direct Whole Plot Reference
to Treasure Island
Compare Captain Colorbeard
- In issue #16 of Cartoon Cartoons, a Courage the Cowardly Dog story featured a ghost pirate visiting the Bagge farm. His name was Captain Long John Longjohns.
- Non-pirate example with blues singer Long John Baldry, named because he was tall (6 feet, 7 inches).
- Early in The Beatles career they went by the name "Long John and the Silvermen."
- Warhammer has Long Drong Slayer, a mercenary Dwarf pirate captain who leads a band of piratical dwarf death-seekers festooned with every pirate cliche they can pack.
- In Freefall, when Helix was excited about the idea of him and Sam becoming space pirates, Helix started to call himself "Long John Aluminium".
- The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh:
- Tigger imagines himself as the pirate 'Long John Tigger', during a fantasy in the episode "Babysitter Blues".
- In the episode "Rabbit Marks the Spot", Rabbit claims that a false treasure map that he created belonged to his rabbit pirate ancestor Long John Cottontail. At the end of the episode, the real Long John Cottontail shows up, scaring Pooh and the others away, much to Rabbit's confusion.
- The Garfield and Friends episode "The Legend of Long Jon" featured Jon's pirate ancestor, Long Jon Arbuckle, who was hated by all the people that lived in the village, until the end, where it was discovered that he was actually a benevolent agent for George Washington.
- Long John Scarechrome was one of Prime Evil's mooks from Filmation's Ghostbusters.
- The novelisation of the Puff the Magic Dragon animated movie had a pirate called Very Long John Black and Bluebeard Kidd.
- Duck Dodgers has the Space Pirate captian, Long John Silver. Dodgers questions if this is copyright infringement to which the captain assures him that it's in the public domain.
- Although not a character per se, "Long John Silver's" restaurant is obviously a shout-out to the infamous Stevenson character.