The TV specials provide examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A gigantic pirate captain... before his Heel–Face Turn.
- "Batman" Gambit (heh heh...): Puff is quite the Magnificent Bastard when he needs to be, apparently allowing himself to be trapped or lose his powers so his young wards will have to discover themselves.
- Down the Rabbit Hole: The movie version of Puff tends to take children to fantasy worlds where they have to confront metaphors for their own problems.
- Heel–Face Turn: The giant pirate does this when he becomes a chef.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: The tall, red-headed doctor and the bald, bearded doctor... who not only suffer from Genre Blindness, but are both Nay Theists.
- See-Thru Specs: Puff's smoke rings have this effect. Looking through them allows Puff and Jackie to see that the giant pirate Very Long secretly wants to be a baker.