Film / Treasure Island 1950
The 1950 film Treasure Island
was the first color adaptation of the novel
. It was directed by Byron Haskin and starred Bobby Driscoll as Jim Hawkins and Robert Newton as Long John Silver, in a performance that did much to shape popular notions of what it means to Talk Like a Pirate
The film was produced by Walt Disney Productions, and is the first Disney
movie to be entirely live-action. (At one point there was a plan for a short animated sequence illustrating a story being told to Jim, a la Song of the South
, but this idea was ultimately abandoned.)
It has an unofficial non-Disney sequel, Long John Silver
(1954), with Byron Haskin and Robert Newton reprising their roles but an otherwise all-new cast.
This film provides examples of:
- Bowdlerise: Adhering to studio ethics, Disney toned down the violence for a 1975 reissue of the film in order to get a G rating. The uncut version was submitted to the MPAA in 1992 with a PG rating.
- Chromosome Casting: The novel had only one minor female character, Jim's mother; the movie has none at all.
- The Dragon: Israel Hands
- Go Mad from the Isolation: Ben Gunn, after being marooned on the island.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Averted. It is surprising Disney was able to make this film in the 1950s with all the violence it contained.
- Infant Immortality: Jim Hawkins gets a knife to the shoulder.
- Large Ham: Long John Silver.
- Papa Wolf: Silver towards Jim. He turns on all the other pirates to save Jim's life.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner:
- Long John gives a rather cold-bloodedly casual one to George Merry in regards to Mr Arrow.
Have you forgotten, George? I'm the one what's taking care of Mr Arrow.
Now, now, matey. [smirks] Matey.
- Public-Domain Character: Everybody from the original novel, which is how Haskin and Newton got away with making an unofficial sequel.
- The Starscream: George Merry.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Newton's Silver is the Trope Codifier.
- Wham Shot: At the very end of the stockade battle, Long John Silver shoots Captain Smollett.
- Would Hurt a Child: A few of the pirates attempt to kill Jim, Israel Hands being the most notable.
- Famously averted with Long John.