"Cyrene? 'Ow am I s'posed ta work on dat burny chunk 'o soot? It ain't like I can hides in da lava! Mork knows, I ain't tryin' DAT trick again."A stock phrase used after the hero has done some daring do that obviously was very painful and/or taxing. In saying this, the Hero is acknowledging that he is not open to repeating the experience as he tries to recover. It's a form of Lampshade Hanging to the kind of exaggerated heroics often displayed in action shows. Can also be used tongue-in-cheek in response to a particularly absurd suggestion. Contrast with Wasn't That Fun?. Not to be confused with We Are Not Going Through That Again, where a character refuses a new quest, not just a particular feat.
open/close all folders
- In a particularly Squick-y example from a Quizno's commercial, a talking oven tries to coax a guy into doing some unnamed act. The man looks down at his crotch and says, "I'm not doing that again. That burned."
- In the Tintin story "Explorers on the Moon", after a harrowing trip to the moon and back involving sabotage, stowaways, and near-asphyxiation, Captain Haddock reacts like this after Professor Calculus brings up the possibility of returning to the moon.
Haddock: What?! Us go back there? To the moon? Me, go back to the moon?! May I be turned into a bollard, blistering barnacles, if I so much as set foot in your flying coffin again! Never, d'you hear? You interplanetary goat, you! Never!!
- In Marionettes, Trixie says this after destroying Masquerade's Puppeteer armor with a Death-or-Glory Attack that drained her mana engine so severely that she can barely stand and momentarily forgets she only has three legs at the moment.
- Non-comedic version in Prophecy of the end. Laurel is in a coma, and in order to preserve the legacy/reputation of the Black Canary, Oliver has Sara pretend to be her to address the city. After she has:
Sara: I want you to promise me something, I want you to promise me...that you'll never make me wear this suit again.Oliver: You have my word.
- Used in the movie Jackass: Number Two, during the "Medicine Ball Dodgeball (in the dark)" stunt. After asking how it turned out after getting beaned every which way with medicine balls, Chris Pontius says, "That was fun. Let's never do that again."
- Bobby in X-Men: The Last Stand after being phased though the ground and back out again.
- In the second movie, when the team is escaping some military planes in their jet, Storm tries to shake them by doing a barrel roll. An ill-looking Wolverine asks her not to do that again, to which the normally wild teen John agrees.
- Mortal Kombat: Johnny Cage has a bad day during filming because the stuntmen kept screwing things up and didn't want to redo the scene again.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Jack Sparrow's response to blowing up a lighthouse (and nearly himself) is "Did everyone see that? Because I will NOT be doing it again!"
- A doe walks out of the woods and says, "That's the last time I do that for two bucks!"
- Gets used several times in Animorphs, usually by Marco.
Marco: That was cool.Tobias: Way cool.Marco: Let's never, ever, do that again.Tobias: Never. Ever.Ax: Repetition of that activity would be a very bad idea.
- In that particular case, morphing cockroaches and sliding down a spiral handrail for several flights of stairs, a ride a skateboarder would have traded both kidneys for.
- Ax also used this Stock Phrase ("I will not do this again") in a more dramatic Shoot the Dog context, when the plan involved him capturing Chapman and interrogating him in the To the Pain style for hours on end.
- When the kids morph ants—the ant morph has some very disturbing side effects. Turns out, the termite morph has very similar effects. That's another one nobody's ever doing again.
- Cassie says this when she leaves the Animorphs for a brief period, referring to a particularly grisly battle.
Live Action Television
- Captain Jack Harkness casually drops this in reference to pregnancy in the Torchwood episode "Everything Changes".
- In one episode of WKRP in Cincinnati Herb gets talked into pretending to be gay and hitting on another guy. The attempt fails, and when he gets back: "I am never doing that again! I get enough rejection from women!"
- In episode five of Sherlock, during a typical "bored Sherlock" rant:
Sherlock: It's either that or Cluedo.
John: Oh, no. We are never playing that again!
Sherlock: Why not?
John: Because it's not possible for the victim to have actually done it, Sherlock!
- In Game of Thrones, Tyrion attempts to gain the trust of Daenerys' dragons by releasing them from their chains. It works, but Tyrion found the ordeal a little too frightening:
Tyrion to Varys: Next time I have an idea like that, punch me in the face!
- Taken to an extreme by Sharwyn in Neverwinter Nights: "Dying was unpleasant, to say the least. Let's not do that again, shall we?"
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, if you take Flurrie through the plumbing via the toilet in Chapter 3 when you're taken into a more dilapidated locker room than the one you were in at first, she requests that she never does that again.
- In Katawa Shoujo, one H-scene in Emi's route has her and Hisao trying anal sex. It turns out that they both find it uncomfortable and swear to never do it again.
- Nob Spookums from Dawn of War: Retribution.
"It ain't like I can hides in da lava. Mork knows, I ain tryin' DAT trick again!"
- At one point in The Curse of Monkey Island, Murray the skull jumps out at Guybrush, landing painfully on the ground. He groans that he's not going to do that again.
- At the beginning of Escape from Monkey Island, pirates have invaded Guybrush's ship and tied him to the mast. Guybrush needs to kick over a blazer of coals and kick one onto a cannon to sink the other ship. Instead, you can choose to kick one of the coals at the pirates off-screen, who retaliates by throwing a knife next to Guybrush's head. Quoth Guybrush, "Better not try THAT again!"
- Homestar Runner:
- Strong Bad says this in the Strong Bad Email "the chair" after he removes his mask to prove that it is, in fact, his face, and that there's nothing but bone, muscle, and veins beneath it. Naturally, he does this while sitting in a high-backed chair, so the audience only sees a tiny, tiny sliver and hears the screaming.
- Done by Strong Sad in the email "radio", during Strong Bad's Imagine Spot to demonstrate how radio announcers never sound how they look. Strong Bad temporarily turns the voice of timid and extremely soft-spoken Strong Sad into that of a obnoxiously loud and energetic morning radio host. Strong Sad pleads with Strong Bad "Don't you ever make me do that again!"
- In a "Frogger" episode on Saturday Supercade, Frogger used his tongue to prevent a fatal accident. Unfortunately, the only thing he can latch onto is a cactus and, afterward, his tongue is painfully perforated with cactus needles. Cue trope title.
- In one Justice League episode, Metamorpho apparently sacrificed his life to stop a monster. Fortunately, Metamorpho is able to reconstitute himself with a satisfied but weary comment, "I'm not doing that again."
- And when the Flash finally hits top speed to defeat the Big Bad and the rest of the Justice League pulls him from the brink, we get the page quote. Earlier in the same episode, this is his reaction to the way he took out his evil, Braniac-generated doppelganger (punching through its chest and vibrating until it exploded, knocking him for a loop in the process).
- In the Challenge of the GoBots episode "Et Tu, Cy-Kill?", Leader-1 ends up having to fly in jet mode, at jet speeds, through a huge corridor filled with stone columns, dodging all of them. Afterward he transforms, falls to his knees, and says, "I couldn't do that twice."
- In the Steven Universe episode "Cheeseburger Backpack", after Steven inspires Amethyst to swing across a gravity vortex while holding the other two Crystal Gems, Pearl snaps at the two of them "Don't ever do that again!"