The hero is a peace maker. Smoothing over conflicts between warring people. And sometimes this hits closer to home.
Our hero has two sets of friends. They both like him, but they are unfamiliar with each other. Maybe they have never seen each other. Perhaps they have good reason to avoid the other. Ultimately the two meet, and it can get violent. Neither side is inherently evil, they just don't know each other. They may be trained to think of them as the enemy, or they might think they are a threat to themselves or to our Hero. Perhaps one side is a peaceful member of the side that the other demonizes.
Our Hero demonstrates his peacemaking skills and steps in quickly to smooth things over between the two. He introduces the two usually say something like "He's a friend." He shows that they are not enemies. This usually leads to the two sides making up quickly. Or not.
In short, two of the Hero's friends are fighting/aggressive, then the Hero steps in to introduce them to each other. Compare Character Witness
for when a less important character vouches for the hero.
- Young Justice's Collide has Robin assuring the rest of the team that an alternate dimension Jason Todd is a friend. Superboy was initially against the idea because Jason had earlier attacked Robin and "[he] don't like people who hurt [his] friends."
- Halo 3: When the Master Chief jams a gun under the Arbiter's chin, Johnson stops him with a quickness:
- Done even earlier in the original, where Chief tells Cortana this about 343 Guilty Spark. Ironically, that was seconds before they... stop being friends.
- Similarly done in Mass Effect 2 Lair of the Shadow Broker, when Liara pulls a gun on Vasir. Liara immediately declares that no she is not.
- Also happens several times if the player delays recruiting Tali to the point where they can bring Legion along. Maybe taking a Geth on a mission to rescue the AI-hating aliens from hordes of its identical evil cousins wasn't such a great idea, Shepard?
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, when Mario and Doopliss have switched identities, his partners are tricked into fighting him, and it doesn't help that Vivian (who had previously fought against Mario) is fighting alongside him. After Mario and Vivian defeat Doopliss, one of his partners asks him why Vivian is accompanying him. Vivian starts to explain, but Mario steps in and apparently tells them the whole story, convincing them to accept her.
- Batman Beyond: Bruce's dog, Ace, takes some time to warm up to Terry.
- Jackie Chan Adventures' second season, when El Toro, a one shot ally from the previous season, turns up, he attacks Tohru (since the last time they met him was before his Heel-Face Turn) until the situation's explained.
- Jonny Quest TOS.
- "Werewolf of the Timberland". The wolf Gray One has just saved Dr. Quest and Race Bannon from being attacked by the "werewolf" (a man in a werewolf suit), but they don't realize this and Race Bannon prepares to shoot the wolf. Jonny and Hadji arrive and call out to them, telling them that the wolf is a friend.
- "Calcutta Adventure". Pasha Peddler shows up in his helicopter right after the team has been attacked by a mook in a plane. Race thinks he might be an enemy, but Hadji tells them he's a friend.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Sokka has to do this for Zuko twice during "The Boiling Rock," once for Suki, who remembered him from when he destroyed her village, and once for his father Hakoda.