Video Game / Giants: Citizen Kabuto
And you get to play all of them (sort of)Giants: Citizen Kabuto
(hereafter called Giants
) is a Third-Person Shooter
video game with real-time strategy elements, released by Interplay Entertainment
in 2000. It was the first game developed by Planet Moon Studios, who went on to make Armed and Dangerous
and the Wii rhythm-action game Battle of the Bands
The cast features a group of quirky heroes and villains including:
- The Meccaryns: high-tech, cockney, spaced-out space men.
- Sea Reapers: A race of mostly blue skinned humanoid magic users.
- Kabuto: a massive protector of the Sea Reapers who turned against them.
- Smarties: the put-upon locals who provide most of the comic relief in the game and later serve as base builders in the RTS sections.
This game provides examples of:
- Big "NO!": The death of Timmy. He returns as a ghost for a last bit of comic relief, though.
- Boldly Coming: What is Regs first reaction upon crashlanding on an alien planet and being separated from others? Why, get it on with local females!
- Cute Monster Girl/ Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism: Sea reaper females are blue humanoids, sea reaper males are more monstrous looking and have only one eye. image to compare◊
- The Dumbledore: Yan. He's more then a little insane, though, and has this problems with portal exits...
- Everything Fades: Or in this case, gets eaten. A horde of small insects crawls from underground and eats the whole corpse in seconds.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: Transformed Delphi finally finds Kabuto and whacks him one. Kabuto falls. Roll credits! Or...not, as Kabuto gets back up after Delphi is back in her normal form. You'll have to beat Kabuto after all - but you have to do it with a Mecc.
- Healing Factor: Delphi regenerates in water.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Baz can only carry three weapons, but one (the mortar launcher) of those can be nearly as big as him.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Made all the more annoying by the lack of a save feature. Many of these were fixed in later versions.
- Interspecies Romance: Delphi and Baz
- Also Reggie and Timmy's Mum.
- Kaiju: Kabuto. Enormous, insanely powerful... And he grows even bigger and even more insanely powerful the more it eats.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Parodied with Delphi and Yan. The very idea of being Yan's daughter makes Delphi hurl. Repeatedly. Then it turns out she's not his daughter after all.
- Mobile Shrubbery: One of items player can use is a brush, that hides player from the AI. They will still notice a bush that moves past them and follot it, but won't shoot at it.
- Mook Maker: One of Kabuto's abilities when he's big enough.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Delphi is quite a foil to Sappho in both personality and appearance. The Sea Reapermen are shown to be hostile jerks for the most part and frequent in-game Mooks, but seeing as one of them serves one of the Meccs a few drinks at a bar without much fuss, they may just be following Sappho's orders.
- Neutral No Longer: Meccs are initially not interested in conflict between Smarties and Sea Reapers, only helping out in order to get what they need to leave and then to return the favor. After Timmy dies, they decide they are going to fight Sea Reapers.
- Not Quite Flight/Super Speed - The Sea Reapers' turbo ability.
- A Space Marine Is You: Meccs.
- Spiritual Successor: To Sacrifice.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Baz and later Delphi
- Timmy in a Well: Inverted and parodied. You (as the Meccs) have to repeatedly follow Timmy down the well.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: From a TPS to an RTS to a racing game to a giant monster simulator.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Think about it. One of the three playable factions involves a giant monster (hence the title) who increases in abilities by eating resources... and OTHER UNITS! Yes, even the ones which are human-controlled!
- You Require More Vespene Gas: RTS mode has two resources, Smarties and Vimp Meat. Smarties act like power, in sense that once you have them, they stay with and build your buildings. Vimp Meat is Lumber, requiring player to periodically go out and hunt down packs, then bring the meat back to base so that Smarties will continue building.