open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- A version happens in the first Kara no Kyoukai movie with a puppy dog that walks by the main character tracking blood. We then see the body of someone who just jumped off a building and the resulting pool of blood.
- In the opening sequence of Higurashi: When They Cry, Rena walks barefoot on some broken glass and drips blood onto the floor.
- Elfen Lied: Lucy in the beginning of the first episode where she's naked and walks through the pools of blood of the people she slaughtered and in the second episode when she's fighting Bandou. In the tenth episode after she kills Kouta's father and sister, she's seen standing in a pool of their blood.
- This also occurs in Howl's Moving Castle, when Howl turns into his true form and leaves wet footprints across the floor, waking up Sophie.
- Done subtly on the first page of Watchmen when the red-head prophet-of-doom walks casually across the puddle of the Comedian's blood, trailing bloody footprints.
- Played for Laughs in Astérix in Switzerland. After falling in the river, Asterix and Obelix hide from the Romans in a hotel owned by a sympathiser, but unfortunately end up tracking muddy footprints all over the place. The obsessively neat Swiss isn't happy about the prints, especially when he has to muck up the place even more by walking around in their muddy shoes to convince a Roman search party that he left the footprints himself after going for a stroll.
- Calvin and Hobbes: Crosses with A Lesson Learned Too Well:
Calvin (on the doorstep) MOMM! HEY, MOM!
Calvin's Mom: Calvin, stop yelling across the house! If you want to talk to me, walk over to the living room, where I am!
Calvin (having walked there): I stepped in dog doo. Where's the hose?
- In the Super Mario Bros. comic "Magic Carpet Madness", King Toadstool was gardening when the phone rang. He went to answer it, resulting in this trope. When the Mario Bros saw the footprints, they started pretending that they were free dance lessons.
Princess Toadstool: Haven't you ever heard of a doormat!? Look at our beautiful carpet!
- The Ring did this with Samara after she came out of the television, in the form of water from an old well.
- Played entirely straight in The Last Samurai, when Tom Cruise walks in the Japanese house with his boots on, and he realizes when he sees his host cleaning the muddy footprints behind him that this just isn't done.
- In Constantine, Lucifer appears as a well-dressed man, but his feet are bare and covered in muck.
- Played for laughs in Scary Movie 2. The characters find a trail of bright red footprints leading down the hallway, prompting one of the male characters to comment "Ew! Someone's on the rag!"
- This happens in the Fathers Day segment of Creepshow.
- In the 1942 film Cat People, there is a trail of muddy animal prints that turn into a human shoe prints.
- Subverted in Breakfast of Champions. When Kilgore Trout arrives in Midland City, he takes off his shoes and socks, rolls up his trouser legs and wades through the concrete trough of Sugar Creek. He intends to walk into the new Holiday Inn leaving muddy footprints on the front carpet to make somebody outraged and to answer them with an artistic statement about "man's first printing press." However, his feet leave no marks on the carpet, having been tightly encased in a fast-drying clear plastic substance that the Barrytron plant, thanks to a Crooked Contractor, has been illegally discharging into Sugar Creek.
- The Goodies. In the Kitten Kong episode the Comic Trio follow the huge paw prints of Tinkles the Kitten across London on their three-seater bicycle, and keep running into things because the giant purrball can just step over objects they can't.
- After Jean-Luc and Robert Picard have their fight in their family vineyard in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Family", Robert's wife, Marie, follows their muddy footprints through the house to find them drunk on the family wine in the parlor.
- Murder, She Wrote: In "Shear Madness", Jessica thinks she is alone in a rambling house during a storm. Hearing a noise, she heads upstairs and finds muddy footprints leading into one of the bedrooms.
- The Haunting Hour: In "Near Mint Condition", Mangler runs through some spilt food and Mark and Ted uses its footprints to track it from the kitchen to their mother's scrapbooking room.
- In the First Encounter Assault Recon games, bloody footprints mean Alma's child version (this page's poster girl) is around.
- Silent Hill. Several of the games, if not every one of them. The first game and some of the others actually measure how far your trail of monster-blood footprint is. In Silent Hill 3, there are disembodied bloody footprints accompanied by the sounds of a crying young girl that lead you past a few obstacles and help you find hidden areas. No explanation is given for this.
- Scrying in Clive Barker's Undying will sometimes show bloody footprints, showing you how to get through some puzzles.
- Doom 3 pulls off one scare by having bloody footprints appearing out of nowhere as something invisible walks away from you towards a locked door.
- You do this in Second Sight if you step in blood, and the Mooks freak out accordingly, particularly if you're in their line of sight but invisible.
- In Kuon, if your character walks through a pool of blood they will trail bloody footprints for a while afterwards.
- The Footprint Passages in Yume Nikki. This being a Surreal Horror game, there's no explanation, but it's still creepy.
- In Viscera Cleanup Detail one of the small annoyances is that stepping in a puddle of blood, dirty water, or slime will coat your shoes in the substance, leaving behind dirty footprints for a short while.
- This is a puzzle in Detention, where you have to pour a glow in the dark liquid into a puddle to follow ghostly footprints through a maze of doors.
- At the beginning of Exmortis 2 the player encounters an invisible being that reveals itself to you by treading across the floor with bloody feet.