Did the Earth Move for You, Too?
aka: Did The Earth Move For You
Inevitable Stock Phrase when somebody is kissing/having sex during an explosion, earthquake, or similar event. The phrase comes from Ernest Hemingway
's For Whom the Bell Tolls,
when the hero and his lover are describing the intensity of the sexual pleasure they had (no literal earth-moving is involved
). Naturally, the phrase lent itself to much spoofing.
open/close all folders
- A German advertisement for a health fund had a randy couple in the middle of a golden wheat field as all the various things around them that could injure them were pointed out. At the end of the ad, the women remarks, "Even the Earth moves," as the last thing is pointed out... a combine harvester approaching from offscreen!
Comics — Books
- German comic Rudi used this with a couple in a background gag who have sex when a real earthquake strikes.
- X-Factor: Played straight in the Nation X oneshot. Longshot and and his ex-wife, Dazzler, have just finished having sex when he asks if she felt the ground shaking earlier. She states that was probably just her. They've just missed the entire island full of mutants taking on a giant.
- A one-panel gag in The Cartoon History of the Universe has two large dinosaurs say this (while the main narrative discussed continental drift).
- In The Dark Knight Strikes Again, after Wonder Woman snaps Superman out of his Heroic BSOD... the two most powerful beings go at it full-bore. There are literal earthquakes and tidal waves. When they're done, Diana actually says "Clark. The earth moved."
- In JMS' Spider-Man run, Peter and MJ reconcile and whilst they're holding each other Doctor Doom (who was being attacked at the airport they were in) moves from underneath the rubble, prompting MJ to ask 'Did the ground just move?' and Peter to respond 'It always does'.
- Invoked in one strip of B.C.. B.C. notices that a volcano is about to erupt, he then walks up to the Cute Chick and kisses her just as the volcano erupts. He then points out that if you don't have timing you've got nothing.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- In True Lies, when Arnold's character and his wife embrace and kiss while a nuclear bomb goes off behind them.
- During the underground grotto dance scene in The Addams Family Values as Morticia and Gomez finish the dance, all the champagne bottles blow their corks.
- Oceans Thirteen. In the middle of a seduction con, no less.
- Happened at the end of The Man Who Knew Too Little: Wallace kisses Lori while the bad guys' helicopter explodes in the background. "That felt like an explosion!"
- Subverted in Making the Grade when "Palmer Woodrow" has a three pumps and a giggle session with "Muffy", who has been asking lots of questions which will spoil his plans. He grunts on top of her twice, rolls off and says "I hope that was good for you. Wow, there's a Red Sox game on" He gets up, puts his pants on, and tells her "By the way, I never want to see you again" as he's walking out the door. She never even changes her bored expression.
- The Israeli movie Saint Clara: At the end, Clara (a teenage girl, a recent Russian-Jewish immigrant, with psychic abilities) is kissing a boy in a movie theater. There's an earthquake, but she tells him it's just a low number on the Richter scale (I forget the exact number).
- In the gangster spoof Johnny Dangerously, this is parodied (along with Sexy Discretion Shot): the title character and his love interest start kissing passionately, the camera pans up to some fireworks... and it cuts to another character, who looks up at the fireworks and remarks "Looks like Johnny's getting laid!"
- When the title aliens' ship crashes in Critters, teenager April is making out with her boyfriend in a nearby barn. April feels the ground shake from the impact and remarks that "The earth moved", to which her beau (who's barely gotten to second base yet) asks: "Already...?"
- In DOA Dead Or Alive, Christie and Max are in bed shortly after doing the deed. Suddenly, she says that the earth moved. Max, of course, takes credit, until Kasumi and Leon crash through the wall from Kasumi's room, as it is their turn to fight. Also, all fights are televised throughout the island.
- The Mission Success cinematic for the Brütal Legend mission "Pilgrimage of Screams" has the Screaming Wall let off a blast as Eddie and Ophelia kiss for the first time.
- When Kiff and Amy are kissing during a Buggalo stampede. It's revealed in another episode that members of Kif's species exchange DNA and get pregnant through skin contact, so a kiss may really be the equivalent of sex for Kif.
- Not to mention the Titanic episode in which Bender and "Robot Rose" kiss. Bender: "When we kiss, I feel like we're standing knee-deep in cold, freezing water." Which, of course, they are, being on a sinking ship and all.
- In Dexter's Laboratory, Dexter works on experiment that causes the whole house to tremble while his parents are making out on the couch:
Dexter's Dad: Mmm. Honey, you make the earth shake.
- Episode 4 of Sym-Bionic Titan, "Phantom Ninja" has the Monster of the Week crash land near a couple making out in a car:
"Hmm, you just rocked my world."
- In one episode of Sealab 2021, Debbie Love takes a vacation. After demanding a Happy Ending Massage from the masseurs, we next see all of them smoking (with the masseurs sporting some new bruises).
Debbie: "Now I won't say the earth moved...but it definitely jiggled!"