He got that way with lots of love.
+ Giant hacks = Cute Godzilla theyoshifanboy:
So True :)
Though in my opinion, the bigger they are, the cuter they are :3
Cuteness is often associated with smallness
, but sometimes characters or creatures can look cute despite, or even partly because of, how big they are. This is the essence of the cute giant
Of course, cuteness is not so much about size as about various physical traits that are hard to pin down. Nevertheless, the association of cuteness with a giant does end up seeming contradictory.
Compare/Contrast with Gentle Giant
, but remember, some giants can be cute but not gentle
, or gentle but not cute
See also Canis Major
and Mega Neko
, examples of which tend to double as this for obvious reasons
Anime and Manga
- An episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha had a kitten come into contact with one of the Jewel Seeds, which granted its wish of wanting to grow up... and grow it did, becoming as tall as the trees. Despite being giant, it still acted like a kitten, not aggressive at all. Provided the page image for Mega Neko.
- Mana Emiya from Super Dreadnought Girl 4946.
- Totoro and the Catbus.
- Princess Shirahoshi from One Piece.
- Also, a couple of the giant kids during the Punk Hazard arc.
- Kyaa from Please Save My Earth.
- Axis Powers Hetalia: We have Russia personified as a buff and strong 6-foot-tall man, who is also quite baby-faced and has the mentality of a child. A very cruel, manipulative, creepy child...but still adorable.
- Diane, the Serpent's Sin of Envy from Nanatsu No Taizai, a giant who has the appearance of a beautiful teenaged girl.
- In More Minds by Carol Matas, the heroes realize that the underpinnings of their fantasy realm are coming undone when they encounter a vaguely familiar, strangely cute, towering giant—and then suddenly realize that he's an elf who has spontaneously become big instead of little.
- The Super Smash Bros. series often invokes this with giant versions of small characters.
- Yoshi◊ in Brawl was a memorable case of this.
- Via a glitch, it is possible to get Jigglypuff to be absolutely huge in Brawl.
- Doshin The Giant, though his game never made it to North America, did have a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Several Pokémon can fall under this. Snorlax in particular looks like a big cuddly bear-cat thing.
- Suika Ibuki of the Touhou series is normally pretty small and adorable, but has the ability to change her size at will. She's still adorable when she's huge, but you're probably not thinking such as you're trying to avoid getting squashed by her!
- Clifford the Big Red Dog more or less relies on this.
- Played for laughs on Futurama. The episode Mother's Day reveals that Farnsworth and Mom used to be in a relationship...until she tried to make his latest toy, Cutey McWhiskers, 18 feet tall with lasers, causing him to angrily proclaim, "Eighteen-foot-tall things aren't cute; that's why my Colossal Tammy Tinkle doll was such a flop! You don't understand me!" and break up. Later they reconcile, Farnsworth admits they're still cute at 18 feet tall then Mom reveals that there's an even taller model and he gets angry again...at first.
- Baby Huey is giant compared to his peer group.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender : Has Appa, elephant koi, and badger moles
- A lot of the float balloons in the Macy's holiday parades.
- Many animals in real life: