When a character with immense power makes a crater with it. The ability to "crater" something may be achieved by whacking it with some variety of Super Strength
power, or unleashing some kind of pressure shockwave that does the same. On some occasions though, a character may invoke Crater Power
by using someone else as a medium
A common variant is for a character with super jumping powers
is to land and form a crater on impact, demonstrating the character's Nigh-Invulnerability
Sometimes happens when attempting a Three-Point Landing
. Compare/contrast: Ground-Shattering Landing
, Ground Pound
, Shockwave Stomp
, and Impact Silhouette
. See also Chunky Updraft
Anime and Manga
- Happens a LOT in battles in Dragon Ball Z.
- Naruto has Pain make one by flattening all of Konoha.
- After the time skip, Sakura does this all the time.
- Tsunade probably did this fairly frequently before she got an office job.
- A crater is formed every single time Neji uses the Eight Trigrams Palm Rotation.
- This happens when Team 7 is inside Orochimaru's hideout.
- Naruto's Rasen-Shuriken technique eventually gains this power.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- In a tournament fight Jack Rakan delivered a punch that made a huge fist-shaped crater in the sand.
- Ku Fei and Negi created a crater arm wrestling.
- It happens often in AKIRA.
- Lots of examples in YuYu Hakusho, once you get to the B-class and higher characters. Sensui (in Holy Energy mode) even lampshades it.
- Yasutora Sado/Chad from Bleach has La Muerte, a huge punch that makes a skull-shaped crater into the wall or ground behind the enemy.
- Lina Inverse from The Slayers leaves a crater each time she casts her signature spell.
- InuYasha takes this Up to Eleven with the Wind Scar, an attack that ploughs four massive claw-like furrows into the ground with the force of his swing.
- He also does this with fairly standard punches.
- Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist does this while throwing a fit after hearing that his father Hohenheim is dead, since he wanted to kill him himself.
- Milky Rose pulls this off in Pretty Cure All Stars DX by punching the ground under Big Bad Fusion.
- In Thor, this is how Thor likes to land.
- The Matrix Revolutions has Smith make a crater in the final fight with Neo.
- In the Made-for-TV Movie The Death of The Incredible Hulk, Hulk turns into Banner during a fall out of an airplane and lands, leaving a crater.
- Happens on occasion when teleporting in Jumper.
- This is how careless Flying Brick Hancock lands... em, crash-lands every time, except when he drops on something more expensive than the mere highways and pavements.
- Done a couple of times in Kung Fu Hustle, once by the Beast who pounds the protagonist's head into the ground repeatedly at the bottom of it, then by the protagonist with the Buddha Palm strike leaving a 20' across hand shaped crater.
- In Man of Steel, when Superman or any other Kryptonian jumps or lands they leave a crater in the ground.
- In the Whateley Universe the supervillain Crater uses gravity control to do this to Tennyo.
- Ron does it in Kim Possible when he's doing his Mystical Monkey power thing.
- In "Death Punchies" episode of Regular Show, Rigby repeatedly punches Mordechai, digging a crater into the Earth so far that lava almost kills them.