some caption text
"Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager
, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency
, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie
, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal." — Amazon
In the sequel Supernaturally
, Evie finds that normal life is boring after her exciting life at the IPCA as well as finding herself in yet another Faerie plot.
In the third and final book, Endlessly
, Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate.
What happens when Buffy the Vampire Slayer
has a baby with The "X" Files
These books provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Evie is this.
- Adults Are Useless: Despite lodging tonnes of complaints to her supervisor, Evie still isn't believed when she says Reth is stalking her and is refused another faerie. Until he gives her a burn on her arm, in front of a prisoner and said supervisor...
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: At the end of Endlessly, most of Earth's paranormals go to another realm and become spirits.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Sort of inverted with Evie. She is the chosen one to bring about not the apocalypse, but to help all paranormals return to Faerie.
- Betty and Veronica: Reth and Lend.
- Bad Powers, Good People: See Your Soul Is Mine.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Jack.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Faeries are implied to be this.
- Broken Bird: Vivian
- Buffy Speak: The main character is a sixteen-year old girl, and narrates in first person. It was bound to happen.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Evie jokes about being this.
- Changeling Tale: Jack and also Evie, of the "mum got impregnated by faerie" variety.
- Cluster Bleep Bomb: Lish the mermaid, who needs a computer to communicate through her aquarium, curses Reth out of sympathy for Evie. The computer censors her swearwords to bleeps, which Evie finds so funny that she starts literally saying "bleep" herself.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Jack.
- Compelling Voice: Vampires.
- Complete Immortality: Lend and his mother
- Curtains Match the Window: Reth, Fehl, and the Dark Queen.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Vivian, in a weird way.
- Depower: At the end of Endlessly, Lend loses his immortality.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Reth, even with his glamour on.
- Evil All Along: Jack, in attempting to manipulate Evie to kill the Faeries.
- Exact Words: The Faeries, though Evie seems to be the only human who realizes this. Seeing Reth in action is all the confirmation required.
- Fantastic Racism: The IPCA hasn't much respect for paranormals. Evie herself has to overcome this when she's forced to work with a vampire.
- Freakiness Shame: Evie thinks that Lend's true form, a water being, is gorgeous.
- Glamour: The entire basis on why Evie is in the IPCA.
- Glamour Failure: All paranormals to Evie.
- Government Agency of Fiction: As stated in the blurb, the IPCA - International Paranormal Containment Agency.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Lend. And Evie.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Evie and Lish. Before she dies, anyway.
- Human Mom, Non-human Dad: Inverted for Lend. Played straight for Evie, whose father is a Seelie Faerie.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Evie's dream life involves lockers and drama. Justified since she's lived in IPCA her whole life with hardly anyone to talk to.
- I Just Want to Be Special: After the first dream turned out boring after living her whole life at IPCA.
- I Call It Vera: Evie has a pink rhinestone-studded taser. It's called 'Tasey'.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Arianna.
- I Know Your True Name: The only way to gain at least some measure of control over faeries.
- Jerkass Genie: Leave it to Reth to deliberately misinterpret anyone's commands to his benefit.
- Land of Faerie
- MacGuffin Girl: Evie and Vivian have the ability to open a gate to the Faerie land so that the paranormals can become their true selves.
- Man in White: Reth sports a white Victorian style outfit in Supernaturally. His motives are never that good.
- Manipulative Bastard: Reth, and Jack.
- Mayfly-December Romance: David and Cresseda, and Lend and Evie, though this is subverted in the final book.
- Missing Mom: Evie.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Twice. Once when Evie realizes she left her bag of trackers in Ireland; a second time after she frees Reth.
- Nature Spirit: Lend's mom, and Lend himself.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Vampires, despite being weak while feeding on human blood, when they feed on paranormal blood...
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Lish, Evie's best friend, who lives in a tank and communicates via computer voice.
- Our Souls Are Different
- Our Vampires Are Different: Not entirely different. They have attractive glamours, but underneath look extremely 'expired' . Also, they don't die in the sun and do have reflections — but those affect their glamours so they avoid them anyway.
- Our Were Wolves Are Different
- Parental Neglect: Vivian's faerie "parents" and Evie's faerie father.
- Pink Means Feminine
- Portal Door: The faeries use this to get around.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Fehl, she's Unseelie.
- Sadistic Choice: Reth instigates this when he forces Evie to make him change his name or he'll kill Lend. She saves Lend.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Lend's default form is a teenage/young adult male.
- Stalker with a Crush: Reth. Just, Reth. Though it is revealed he had a "good" (read: 'by faerie standards') reason.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Werewolves under their glamours. Reth the faerie for the 'trickster' and 'above humans' aspects.
- Talking in Your Dreams: Evie with Vivian in book one. Continues with a more friendly tone in book two even though Vivian is now permanently comatose.
- Tempting Fate: 'Tonight is perfect': at the prom. One page before Reth kidnaps Evie. For the second time.
- Tykebomb: A mild case - Evie is raised by the IPCA as their special agent.
- The Fair Folk: Reth, Fehl— and more.
- Void Between the Worlds: When using the faerie paths, they pass through a black void that has no sound and nothing in it except the people that are traveling through it. In Supernaturally, Evie gets trapped here.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Lend can change into any person that is about the same size as himself.
- Weaksauce Weakness: For faeries, it's soft drinks and any iron. Yes this includes kitchen utensils.
- We Can Rule Together: Vivian wants this with Evie.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Vivian - she eats souls, but only because she's lonely and doesn't know any other way. She even thinks she's doing them a favor.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Vivian's - and Evie's - main power.