"He said these were the kind of nights where if you were to drive down dirt road, you were five times more likely to find a car or pickup wrapped around the base of a tree, smoking and twitching from a cooling engine crushed up against the driver. Johnny would say it was all because of the full moon, and that was why he’d always try to get these nights off. Instinct Rising
He said it was only the crazy people who were up and about during full moon nights.
I thought this, and then I realized that I was outside, sitting on my front porch, staring blankly into the darkness."
is a novel published on deviantArt by Ty Rhine, aka Coyote Caliente
/Red-Desert-Writing. A dark supernatural drama featuring cars, drugs, werewolves, romance, drugs, and cars.
Texas boy Croy Gilder lives a quiet life because he knows nothing else. He thinks he just needs to go with the flow until he finds what it is that defines himself. When he discovers his heritage as a werewolf in a series of explosive events, he begins to wonder if this may finally be the definition he goes with—all the way up to the point it comes crashing down.
Provides Examples Of:
- Ambiguously Evil: The Sentinels. They exist of their own volition, policing the werewolf population to uphold The Masquerade out of debatable necessity. Their enforcement can get disproportionately brutal, to the point where it seems as though they do it simply because they enjoy it.
- Canis Major: Croy, over ten feet at the shoulder in his full werewolf form.
- Chronically Crashed Car: Jerry's Mustang. He learned to repair it himself just so that he could intentionally abuse it even more.
Jerry: Never woulda guessed, huh?
Croy: Guessed what?
Jerry: That I’m that person. The one who sees a car for what it is—just something to use. I’ll throw money at it and then tear it up another week later just because I can. Shoot at it to make a point.
- Cool Car: Again, Jerry's Mustang. Modified with off-road tires, raised suspension, and a mounted spotlight. It was red at some point, but age, rust, and countless abuses have worn it down some.
- Hand Cannon: Jerry carries around a S&W .500. It seems strange and excessive at first, but werewolves turn out to be very tough.
- Healing Factor: The more wolf-like a werewolf becomes, the faster they heal. While on a rage-fueled rampage, Croy takes a "mustang to the face," pinning him down while he takes three point blank .50 cal shots to the chest while in his full form, and it only knocks him out. Any wounds caused by silver will heal at a normal human rate.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Janise isn't really tiny, but Croy easily dwarfs almost everyone else.
- Jerk Jock: Aiden.
- Karma Houdini: The Sentinels.
- Lightning Bruiser:
- Never Gets Drunk: Alcohol has no effect on werewolves. Absinthe is fairly potent, however.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Theme Naming: Subverted with Croy. After Jerry seems interested in his name, Croy looks it up, only to find nothing relevant whatsoever.