is a series of Paranormal Romance
novels by Dianne Duvall. It features a wide array of characters, including vampires (humans infected with a "symbiotic virus" that enhances speed and strength, but eventually drives them to a homicidal rage), gifted ones
(beings who look like normal humans but have "advanced DNA" that grants them special abilities), and Immortal Guardians (gifted ones
who have been hit with the same virus that turns humans into vampires—they get the speed and strength without the insanity). And humans, naturally. The series also features a smattering of sci-fi and a heavy dose of action, with battles between vampires and immortals, and a surprisingly well-rounded cast of characters.
As of May 2013, the series has three novels released (Darkness Dawns, Night Reigns
, and Phantom Shadows
), a novella (In Still Darkness
, included in a collection called Predatory
) and a fourth novel called Darkness Rises
due in October.
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Ami after she is rescued by Seth and David; Sarah, Melanie, and Jenna after they are transformed.
- Actually Not a Vampire: The Immortal Guardians. Richart is mistaken for one when he teleports to his girlfriend's home sporting fangs.
- Alien Autopsy: Done while Ami was still alive and fully conscious. Don't worry, though, her Bizarre Alien Biology allows her to heal completely.
- Always on Duty: Seth can be called anywhere in the world, at any time.
- Author Appeal: It's clear that Dianne Duvall thinks more people should eat organic foods. Also, she probably lives in North Carolina.
- Badass Driver: Ami; almost all of the immortals.
- Band of Brothers: The immortals see themselves as a family, even though only Richart, Lisette, and Etienne were related before they were transformed. Their extended family includes their human allies as well.
- The Cavalry Arrives Late: Marcus and Ami are left to face thirty-four vampires on their own. Richart shows up after the battle is over.
- Daywalking Immortal: Seth and David are old and powerful enough to be able to withstand the sun's rays.
- Dying Race: The Lasarans were infected by a virus that left all of the women infertile. Children are now very rare on their planet, which is why Ami is thrilled to discover she is pregnant. Marcus is worried about how the virus will affect her and the baby.
- Friendly Neighborhood Immortal Guardian
- Fully-Embraced Fiend: Bastien tends toward this, due to thinking he was a vampire for 200 years and that the Immortal Guardians were the enemy.
- Human Alien: Ami.
- Immortals Are Sex Gods: These are romance novels, after all.
- Interspecies Romance: Between immortals and gifted ones, and, in Marcus and Ami's case, between immortal and extraterrestrial.
- Kiss of the Vampire: A vampire's bite releases a chemical similar to GHB that causes the victim to be unable to feel pain, and forget any memory of the incident later.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They are affected with a virus that essentially replaces their immune system. They can recover from many injuries, but anything too severe will cause the virus to consume their whole body in an attempt to repair the damage. Also, the virus slowly drives them insane. Scientists are working on a cure, but have not found one yet.
- The Renfield: Chris Reordon, the other humans in his network, and the Immortals' "Seconds" all qualify as assistants of the non-evil variety. Vampire assistants usually don't last very long, due to the vamps' dangerous temper.
- Sliding Scale of Vampire Friendliness: The immortals are all on the "friendly" side (with Bastien and Roland closest to being hostile) and vampires all end up on the evil side eventually. Even the ones who start out normal will have bouts of uncontrollable violence, which they regret afterwards. Of course, some vampires start out as sadistic humans and only get worse.
- Staking the Loved One: Bastien is forced to kill one of his friends when the virus progresses too far for him to have any hope of recovery.
- Stronger with Age: Older immortals tend to be stronger, although this is subverted with Sarah, Melanie, and Jenna, who were all transformed willingly by Roland. They are stronger than many immortals right after transformation, although Seth and David, the two oldest immortals, are the strongest by far.
- Time Travel: Marcus' first love, Bethany, was sent back in time from the 21st century to the Middle Ages. Where she fell in love with Marcus' best friend, Sir Robert.
- Vampire Hunter: The Immortal Guardians, their Seconds, and Ami.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Literally. The Immortals eat only (organic) vegetarian meals and drink bagged blood donated by humans who know their secret.