Literature / Caelum Lex
is a science fiction Space Opera Web Serial Novel
following the adventures of the space pirate vessel the Dionysian.
The story focuses on young doctor Leta Adler who is swept aboard the beat-up spaceship captained by exile and notorious criminal Fiearius Soliveré. Though initially out of place amongst the crew, Leta grows to identify with them, particularly in their mutual hatred of the Society, an extensive and morally questionable organization gradually taking over the Span.
Caelum Lex contains examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Fiearius Soliveré is, on the surface, a smuggler, a thief and an assassin that only looks out for himself and his own, but on occasion, performs heroic acts.
- Badass Crew: the crew of the Dionysian each has their own specialty and each member can kick ass in their own right. They're all loyal to each other and act more as a family than a pirate crew.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Before leaving his home planet on the Dionysian, Fiearius Soliveré worked as an assassin for the dubious government organization the Society, potentially murdering many innocents. This culminated in an event that caused both his wife and four year old son to be killed
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Leta Adler is depicted as cold, stern and unflinching particularly towards Fiearius, but in time she warms up to him and even comes to love him.
- Fish out of Water: When Leta initially boards the Dionysian, having been raised in wealth and luxury on her home planet, she does not fit in with the criminal crew nor understand their activities and methods.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Cyrus Soliveré and Adrasteia Atelier, both engineers from a young age, consistently override security protocols, wrangle together engine pieces and build any gadget needed for a specific mission.
- Jerkass Façade: Fiearius Soliveré emits a jerk persona to appear strong to his crew, worthy to his criminal allies and indestructible to his enemies.
- Nerd: Cyrus Soliveré is a prodigal engineer who loves his craft a little too much and spends a great deal of time nerding out about engines, sometimes with fellow nerd Adrasteia Atelier.
- The Smart Guy: Cyrus, the Dionysian's engineer and resident tech nerd, is often one step ahead of everyone else, coming up with ideas and plans and solutions that no one else on the crew considered.
- Space Pirates: the crew of the Dionysian are space pirates.