is a science fiction novel by Kevin J. Anderson
This novel provides examples of:
- Designer Babies: The Truthsayers are a group of genetically-engineered people trained from birth with the use of the Veritas drug. While it is possible for a normal person to use the drug, the results are unpredictable. However, not all trainees become Truthsayers, meaning the genetically-engineered process is not perfect.
- Living Lie Detector: The Truthsayers.
- Meaningful Name: The drug Veritas, used to make Living Lie Detectors.
- Miscarriage of Justice: The plot revolves around a man wrongly convicted in a justice system where the use of Living Lie Detectors is supposed to make wrongful convictions impossible.
- My Grandson Myself: Done by the villain, who uses a cryopod to become a Human Popsicle for a few years before re-emerging to see how things are progressing.
- Telepathy: The Truthsayers use the Veritas drug, which temporarily increases their brains' receptive abilities, allowing them to detect another brain's EM impulses (i.e. read thoughts).