Literature / An Alternate History of the Netherlands
An Alternate History of the Netherlands is an Alternate History
story by The Kiat from AlternateHistory.com
and also of Counter-factual.net. He did this after being inspired by Europa Universalis
and playing too much as the Dutch.
The Point of Divergence is that the Pacification of Ghent in the Dutch Revolt was much harsher, forcing all Dutchmen to unite against the Spanish. The Dutch not only won, but also liberated the southern Netherlands or what would be Belgium in the timeline. From then on, the Dutch create the most extensive empire on Earth, edging out the British a bit. Also there was the different outcome of the The American Civil War
, Sweden annexing
Russia permanently after The Great Northern War
, and a Commie Land
in the Balkans.
More info here. http://ahnuniverse.weebly.com/ http://kiatspace.blogspot.com/p/alternate-history-of-netherlands.html
AHN exhibits tropes of:
- Alternate History Wank: Sort of for the Dutch Commonwealth.
- Balkanize Me: Happens in the Union of Balkan Socialist Republics. However, the term in-universe is Iberianization, where a united Spain broke into pieces like Catalonia, Portugal, Basque Republic, etc., leaving Castille as the final successor of the formerly great nation.
- Commie Land: The Union of Balkan Socialist Republics. Its demise doesn't end well.
- The Empire: The Dutch, but it eventually evolved into a Commonwealth similar to the lines of Britain.
- Richard Nixon the Used Car Salesman: James Dean became the US President in the 70s.
- Shout-Out: The US Civil War in this timeline was a bit inspired by the Timeline-191 series of Harry Turtledove.
- What If?: The Pacification of Ghent is much more brutal, prompting Catholic and Protestant Dutch alike to unite and oust the Spanish, thus expelling them from both North and South Netherlands.