isn't just a web radio show, they also post Let's Plays
to their YouTube channel
. They have so far posted over 1000 videos spanning over 300 hours of content.
Recording Now / Waiting to Air
The individual Let's Plays provide examples of:
For tropes from The Legendary Let's Play, click here.
- Bat Family Crossover: Three of the four Open Lounge presenters appear along with the original three D-Pad hosts for the first playthrough of 5 Days a Stranger
- Berserk Button: 5 Days a Stranger's Walk command:
DON'T USE THE FEET! Don't use the FUCKING
- Immediately lampshaded by John in the only area where you have to use the feet to leave.
- Butt Monkey: Tails.
- Call Back: The second 5 Days a Stranger LP is loaded with references to the original run. Some of them are even intentional.
- Completely Missing the Point: When John looks at the DeFoe Manor map to see what's there that he hadn't encountered before...
So, front yard, tomb
... first floor, second floor... this little path right here?
- Epic Fail: During Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Rick repeatedly insists he tested his video recording software ahead of time. So naturally, when they try to record... they find themselves trying to play at roughly one frame per second. Bring on Knuckles Chaotix!
- Fun with Subtitles: The ROM used for Super Metroid had mandatory subtitles... in German or French. The guys found a new favorite word in FORSCHUNGSSTATION.
- Guide Dang It: Rick had to stop a few times during Pokémon FireRed Version to check what wild Pokémon lived in certain areas. Turns out, more than a few times he was just wasting his time.
- The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link both involved heavy doses of this, due to the scarcity of useful in-game clues.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The 2012 Super Bowl LP predicted the AFC team would win 34-31. They would do just that... the next year.
- Interface Screw: The recording laptop cursor is stuck in the center of the screen for the duration of 5 Days a Stranger, and the game cursor tweaks out at random.
- Missing Episode: Due to a recording quirk* , Kirby Super Star's playthrough could not be replicated and recorded.
- A handful of series were lost before they could begin in a hard drive failure, including Kirby Super Star Ultra. The team has since declared the game cursed.
- A space of about 20 minutes is missing between Parts 17 and 18 of The Adventure of Link, which left John's sudden and total disappearance from the rest of the game unexplained.
- Mood Whiplash: The first four episodes of 5 Days a Stranger feature the hosts joking around about the camp nature of the game. Until Day Three. John starts taking it a bit more seriously after getting properly creeped out by an 8-bit game.
- An even faster example occurs in the middle of a sentence in this video.
- Not So Omniscient After All: Let's Predict Super Bowl XLVI! It helps that the show is recorded in Patriot Nation. It didn't, however, help them win the Super Bowl.
- Let's Predict Super Bowl XLVII! pitted the Baltimore Ravens against the San Francisco 49ers. Once again, Tecmo gets it wrong.
- Rage Quit: Super Metroid. Only an hour in, even. All because of the Scrappy Mechanic below.
- Schmuck Bait: "Touch the fire!"
- Scrappy Mechanic: Walljumping. An entire 15-minute episode has the whole party struggling and ultimately failing to use the move. The LP was cancelled shortly after for being too much of a pain in the ass to play. It is unknown whether they were aware they were attempting a notably difficult Sequence Break as opposed to playing normally.
- Walking downstairs in 5 Days a Stranger.
- Both times they played. They seem to have forgotten between playthroughs that you can click outside of the frame to walk, which normally turns the stairs into a non-issue.
- Significant Reference Date: Sonic Week was made to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the first game's release.note
- Both 5 Days a Stranger LPs began on July 28th.
- The Mega Let's Play announcement video was published on the 27th anniversary of the original Mega Man's release.
- Additionally, the series began on the 21st anniversary of Mega Man X's release.
- Super Bowl Special: Let's Predict Super Bowl XLVI!, XLVII!, and XLVIII!
- Tempting Fate: Rick says pretty early on in 5 Days a Stranger that there is no point where the game doesn't in some way direct you to the solution. Cue twenty minutes trying to figure out that the game wouldn't let John continue because he didn't read the newspaper.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: John and CJ both have trouble with their Australian Accent.