Chorocojo, previously known as Red Chocobo, is a popular video and screenshot Let’s Player
on Something Awful
. He is most well-known for his Let’s Plays
of the Pokémon
series and is likely the first person to ever Let's Play a Pokemon game.
All of his works are generally done with input/collaboration from fellow goon Zorak—a team they call "An Orbital Grouse"
His Crystal Let's Play has been referenced twice in the main Pokémon series, due to the lead translator of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl being a Something Awful regular.
His Let's Plays can be found on An Orbital Grouse's website here
and his stream here
. Highlights from his stream can be found on his Youtube channel, located here
His Let's Plays provide examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Pokemon Quartz ends up being a psychedelic nightmare induced in Foxy due to Misty's reckless TM experimentation.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: All over the place, but in particular is Lucas from the Platinum LP, who thinks Lady is a dracula.
- Even more so than Lucas is Professor Elm from the Crystal LP, who Roxy once caught taking a dump in her shoes and who also sowed salt in her garden one day. ...He also once gave her an exploding gerbil. She's still finding gerbil parts whenever she cleans.
- Cynthia: a strange woman who paws through Lady's things, or secretly a Chansey in human form?
- Badass Adorable: Most of Roxy’s team. Sammy’s Pokémon qualify as well.
- The stand out example on Hailey's team is Hansel, a cute little Audino that can suplex bears.
- Also Shakes, the happy dancing Maractus that defeated N's Zekrom and Cynthia's Haxorus entirely on her own, and also finished Ghetsis' Hydreigon.
- Big Beautiful Girl: Misty.
- Big Damn Heroes: Misty when she saves Roxy from Gatorface at the end of the Crystal LP.
- Berserk Button: Starmies.
- In the Endless Ocean LP, Chorocojo gets very angry any time bottlenose dolphins appear. They apparently have trolled him in real life.
- He also gets mad when animals that don't make sense show up on Zorak's boat.
- Chorocojo gets incredibly angry when Bear drinks piss in Man vs. Wild: The Game.
- And when Zorak messes up a jump...
- Or makes a supremely awful pun...
- Beware the Nice Ones: When a cute Pokemon is in trouble, expect Roxy to get VERY mad.
- Book Ends: The Platinum LP starts and ends with a three-panel exchange between an excited Jorge and a confused Lady.
- Born Lucky: Misty, apparently. A shiny and Pokérus in a single Let's Play?
- Brooklyn Rage: Vinny, from the roundabout equivalent of Brooklyn, is quite Hot-Blooded with a Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Broken Streak: The Black 2 LP uses the male Trainer, as opposed to the female trainers that Chorocojo had used for the past five Pokemon LPs. However, by this point he was tired of doing female characters, viciously lampshading it the last two times beforehand.
- However, during the segments where Chorocojo showcases Pokestar Studios filming, he alternates to the female trainer, Rosa.
- The Cameo: This image◊ from the first visit to the Battle Frontier in the Platinum LP has Roxy, Misty, and her Blaziken visible in the upper left.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Sammy and, to a lesser extent, Roxy.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Misty curses quite a bit, but the most notable one was her giant “FUCK” when she discovered she needed Wailord and Relicanth in order to continue her search for the Legendary Golems.
- Continuity Nod: The FireRed LP particularly has a number of references to the earlier ones, such as a news ticker referring to Wailmer corpses on the Hoenn shore.
- Also draws attention to a pair of Team Rocket execs in the Fire Red / Leaf Green versions that first appeared in Gen 2 (Gold / Silver). Recognizable pretty much only because of their teams.
- Sammy hears Misty's Atomic F-Bomb from the Wailord and Relicanth bit. From Kanto.
- Sammy also refers to the ability to talk to Sudowoodo - an ability Roxy apparently had in the Crystal LP - as a crappy superpower.
- Right after losing to Sammy, Sabrina has a premonition of Roxy. Remember that Crystal is set three years after Fire Red.
- Sammy wonders "who uses Kingler? Especially a girl Kingler" when fighting a trainer on Two Island with one - Roxy had used a female Kingler. Making it even funnier, said Kingler promptly one-hit KO's Sammy's Kabuto with Guillotine, which Roxy's had also frequently done.
- After getting Togepi, whose entry says it's considered a symbol of good luck, Roxy says "at least I didn't capture a harbinger of doom and bearer of bad luck. Then again you'd have to be an idiot to catch one of those." Misty captured an Absol and then immediately wondered why she did so.
- When Lady gets the TM for Dream Eater in the Platinum LP, she mentions "something on the news about Dream Eater involving a duck."
- Cuteness Proximity: Roxy in the Crystal LP nearly goes into a coma when her baby Smoochum hatches.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lady. Misty to a lesser extent as well.
- Expanded Universe: There are several minor facts and sidestories about characters and events either that never come up over the Let's Plays or are added as interludes by Zorak. (i.e. The theory of Lady being a vampire or Red's random drawings. ◊)
- Even in their video let's plays, they have a tendency to build up elaborate explanations for why irrational things happen.
- Flanderization: Misty's weight. She starts off looking like the default protagonist, but becomes more and more overweight over the course of the LP, without really eating anything except for a Zigzagoon the readers pestered RC to catch, and remains plump for every other LP.
- Gamer Chick: Sammy.
- G-Rated Drug: From the Platinum LP, Chansey eggs.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Misty.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Implied for Misty.
- Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action: Invoked. Misty briefly experiments with breeding her Pokémon, mating her Seviper with a Pikachu. It’s also touched on with one of Sammy’s favorite shows, “Will They Breed.”
- Idiot Hero: Haley, partly due to her Country Mouse status. She openly admits to being Book Dumb and Dumb Muscle, and she's also much less sarcastic and more benevolent than the other protagonists.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Roxy, with most of the cute Pokémon she comes across.
- Interspecies Romance: How Sammy views Bill's "obsession" with Pokémon.
- Cargo Ship: Her opinion on Celio's "obsession" with gemstones is very similar.
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Misty and Vinny are not the nicest people around and did morally questionable things at times but can be nice if they wanted to.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Chorocojo himself has a moment of this in FireRed when his Kabuto is hit by a Guillotine attack, which he had used frequently in the Crystal LP.
Is... is this what I've been doing to people? D:
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: According to the fake Wikipedia page on the Elite Four, the Elite Four once created an album which attempted to “combine the genres of Metal, Electronica, and Country Western by the medium of Japanese Whaler-Ship Foghorns.”
- Only in It for the Money: Sammy when she decides to battle the Elite Four.
- Otaku Surrogate: Sammy. Most of her adventures are started either by running out of juice or wanting to buy a new video game.
- She also goes out to kick Team Rocket's ass because news coverage of the Silph Incident is airing instead of her anime, and she wants it back.
- Painting the Medium: When Sammy's stumbling through the pitch-black Rock Tunnel without Flash, the Let's Play switches from text-and-screencaps to MP3s.
- Pokémon Platinum: Platinum Version: If one were to look at the archived version of the Platinum LP, almost all of the art has been colored and touched up. The FireRed LP has also had some of the artwork redone in higher quality when it was put back up on the website.
- Public Domain Character: Hey y'all, it's me! Namazu!
- Re Cut: Chorocojo has recut his LPs a few times, cleaning up the art and coloring them. His Platinum playthrough was totally colored before it was archived.
- Sanity Slippage: After getting hit on the head hard by a rock while climbing up a waterfall outside Victory Road with a Finneon (not the brightest idea in the world to begin with), Lady becomes disoriented, and acts a bit... weird, and a bit stupid. She even makes note of her head wound multiple times and still does nothing about it. She gets better, though.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Inverted with his Platinum play through. Lady is savvy and cocky, Jorge is overly caffeinated and eager.
- Shout-Out: Many of them to various video games in the FireRed Let's Play, due to Sammy being a Gamer Chick.
- Smug Snake: Misty.
- Surrounded by Idiots: How Chocorojo portrays Vinny and Lady, with lots of moments of mocking the characters around him, especially the rival. Though the latter is Played for Laughs.
- Take That: Silver, the rival who abused his Pokemon and only wanted strong ones, was nicknamed Smogon in the Crystal LP.
- The Platinum LP has several jabs at his fans, who always insist on him choosing the female character.
[Are you a boy? Or are you a girl?]
Chorocojo: Condom hat or dapper beret. You all picked condom hat. I can't say I'm surprised you picked the condom hat.
[All right, so you're a girl? Tell me, what is your name? Your name is Lady?]
Chorocojo: THERE. DID I PICK GIRL ENOUGH YET?
- What the Hell, Hero?: All of Foxy's adventures were caused by Misty forcing an incompatible Dream Eater TM on her Ludicolo and testing it on Foxy.
- Word Salad Title: The Elite Four apparently released a song titled “Catching Tadpoles with an Acoustic Guitar That is Also a Death-Robot Possessed by the Soul of Genghis Khan.” The music video got ten million views on YouTube.
- Would Hit a Girl: Smogon, the rival from the Crystal LP. His hitting Roxy becomes something of a Running Gag.
- Why Did It Have To Be Giant Metal Birds With Swords For Feathers: Sammy has a deathly fear of Skarmory due to a childhood incident (which, incidentally, is also why she spends so much time inside playing video games).
- Wrestler in All of Us: Haley of the Black LP is quite strong and enjoys wrestling in general. She also avoids one pokemon battle with an unfortunate Team Plasma grunt by simply suplexing them, and takes out another later with a reverse DDT.
- Her Audino, Hansel, also seems to be a wrestler.
- Lady is also a huge Crasher Wake fan and admits that she wouldn't mind learning from him.