Just For Fun / Serra Elinsen
A rising voice in the genre of teen Paranormal Romance
, she has just released Awoken (Book One of the Viridian Saga)
, a book about a high school girl who falls in love with a boy who turns out to be an avatar of none other than Cthulhu
. She also credits her five children with a good deal of the book, and hopes it will make its mark as "better than Twilight
." Her Facebook
page can be checked out here.
She had a fanfiction.net account and a livejournal (she is rumored to have been a Catfic author), but deleted them due to cruel cyber-bullying
Mrs. Elinsen herself provides examples of:
- ... or so would the spreaders of Papist propaganda have us believe ! She's a Legalist. She even uses part of the Heavenly Goat's proverbs to salute her readers (see page quote)...
- No offence, but, please, STFU ! The "Guide" may have had an horrible childhood, but he was still manipulating a whole town and thousand of illegitimate children to follow his heretic agenda, and he took credits for things he never did. Sorry to blow up your trusting mind, but catholics did most of what he said he invented when he was in his diapers.
- What ? What does the guide's childhood has to do with any of this ? "The catholics did it when he was in hsi diapers "? Are yo u kidding ??? WHAT TH E HELL !!??! HOW FAR CAN SELF-DELUSION GET TO PREVENT SOMEONNE FROM GETTING THE FREAKING POINT ???!!!! YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITHE GUIDE, HE HAS THE GOSPEL OF JUDAS !!!!!???!!!!!!!!!????
- See the Desert Sisters's teachings to find the first recorded use of the bridge of the lamb thing and he used precedent proverbs that pre-date his actions. Legalist or not, it doesn't change the fact that this blessing is antiquated and ridiculous, mostly on this site. Someone should delete this Flame War before it gets worst.
- Anaprotestants are ALL nuts.
- May the bridge of the lamb fall upon you, unbelievers !
- Wouldn't this be an ecumenical matter?
- Cute and Psycho / Beware the Nice Ones: Depending on whether you ask her fans or the people who tried reviewing her book on Goodreads and missed the five-star button.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: She delivered an heart-wrenching speech of this sort to a mean cyberbully who tried to bash her work in... less than pleasant terms. She did give up before and deleted all her online fanfiction years before due to similar incidents, but since she Took a Level in Badass.
- Flyover Country: She is often seen as a realistic textbook example of the trope.
- The Fundamentalist: How she is often portrayed and how her reviews sometimes try to paint her. This is probably not true, but, to be fair, Reform Anaprotestantist caused some concern in the 1980s with the prevalence of polygamy, archaic gender ideas, teen marriage, weird (Heavenly Goat weird) origin stories...
- Happily Married: She tells us that she is, but everything in her life prior to the starting of her book was wholly supervised by her husband.
- And recently, she revealed that she started writing again only because of his suggestions.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls
- One Steve Limit: A Real Life aversion as her two sons are both named Matt, per Anaprotestant tradition. She calls them Matt A and Matt B.
- They're twins. Matt A is two minutes older, and thus the favored twin. Matt B resents this.
Her general works and style provides examples of:
- Brown Note: After the chapter describing the heroine's reaction to Riley turning a classmate insane in Awoken was used as a teaser, some readers just... snapped and seemed to lose a bit of their grip on reality. Were they already mentally unstable ? Is her style just so moving and controversial ? Was Cthulhu somehow involved ? We'll never know.
A reviewer: For the entirety of my reading, I found myself as if about to have an epiphany. I feel as if I was about to really understand your aim and to see what remained unseen in the mind, true meaning and oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO T Hou Shall not pass I woUld rather have a job WIPING SADAM HUSSEIN 4S ARSE ! There was what she said, what she meant, and what she thought, which was completely GAZE INTO THE ABYSS, OZYMANDIAS, and despair the lion and the lamb and THE FUCKING WARD robe made from the tree of knowledge, how d’you like them APPLE, THE BIG APPLE was brothel YOU are all servants of the seven-horned beast, REPENT anaprotestant’s children orgnizations with clowns daddy why is the clown looking at me you are my angel of music ash nazg durbatulûk ash nazg gimbatul
Another reviewer: What goals ? What Rr RRE U tHEIR GOAT (the All-Forgiving Goat is part of the anaprotesant tradition, being a representation of the spirit of creation, NDLR) ? IT 4S mE CASS anD RA ! IT 4S ME, THE gOAT ! I WANNA CREATE A WORLD WI tH HOTTIES !
Yet another reviewer:I know my theory is crazy but I mean all the fuss around his eyes, what if what the guy so where like his real tiger eyes and that scared him to death?.. And the title… Awoken… What if riley like, awoke from a dream just like tigers do when they stop sleaping!!!1!
- Clueless Aesop: Here is a selection of the sort of morals which reviewers of the teaser chapter directly assumed to be what was in the story. A surprising amount of it is... well, surprising :
A reviewer: Th IS Re LIGION GA vE Me THE HEA vENLY ANA pROTEStANT CLO wN ! TH iS REL iGION TAU gHT Me IT 4S No T BEC aUSE Y oU HA vE A DIPL oMA O r A J oB Or YO u THI nK ABO uT STU fF THAT Yo U ARE WOR tH ANY tNG ! T rUE WO rTH CO mES FR oM FA iTH B uT ONL y IF Y oU BELI eVE TH aT T hE AN aPROTE sTANT GO aT MA dE FO oD F oR THE S iNGER ON THE DA y THAT T hE MO uNTAiN GR eW LI gHT W iLL Y oU BE SAV eD !
Another reviewer: I love that in her book. How Riley loses all his personal traits and projects and the heroine was only waiting for someone to give her goals and opinions, and finally they don’t need any of this because they are together. Adorbs, right ?!
Another reviewer : [The story promotes] the idea that abusive relationships are desirable and that it’s healthy to have crippling insecurity and a martyr complex.
Another review :I love it when men push me around because I’m a woman and I don’t know what I want!
- Did She Just Romance Cthulhu?
- Follow the Leader: For general Young Adult Paranormal Romance.
- Hatedom/Hate Dumb: After the sixth chapter of Awoken was published for a teaser, she gained a faithful fanbase as well as one of the most virulent and precocious hatedoms ever known to man. Some think she is The Fundamentalist and criticize the potential Anaprotestant Su Btext, others claimed she was an avatar to the Beast from the apocalypse, the Antechrist and Keanu Reeves ; a few people think that her characters are not that much into one another, while others find the relationship obsessive and abusive ; some think the story could become irrealistic woman-oriented erotic empowerement fantasy, other think it anti-feminist story of a glorified Bastard Boyfriend and a co-dependent Shrinking Violet with low self-esteem. Especially glaring since the first few pages of the book haven't been published, so the readers missed all the build-up.