Just For Fun: Happy Tree Friends: The Anime
So you didn't expect this version of the Happy Tree Friends
? Believe it or not, the Fandom
has transformed the little, cute, colorful critters into really popular anime characters
, giving them depth and creating a lot of fan stories involving them.
Many can be seen here: Happy Tree Friends
(you still have to make an account to see all the portrayals). Those who have a pixiv-account
can find even more under the "HTF", "HTF擬人化" (Basically "HTF Humanization") and "ハピツリ" ("Hapitsuri") tags. The characters are human and more developed
than the actual, canon characters, though there is no possible way to join all the interpretations of a character into one.
Note: This is only a large fanon creation, there is not an actual, official anime.
The most common themes or conceptions portrayed in the anime styled fanstories or fanart are:
- Abduction Is Love: Flippy with Flaky.
- Alternate Universe Fic: The Happy Tree Friends in high school.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Flippy towards Flaky. He is a serial rapist in most pictures.
- Better as Friends: Flaky and Nutty.
- Bishounen: Everybody. Cuddles, Toothy, Nutty and Sniffles are the kid version.
- Black Comedy Rape: Really often used.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Giggles, Petunia and Flaky, although Giggles' strawberry hair is associated with strawberry blonde, while Petunia's blue hair is associated with black hair.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Flippy and Flaky.
- Character Development: For all the characters, in many varying directions.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Splendid, Nutty, Lumpy.
- Comedic Sociopathy: When Flippy and Splendid meet.
- Comic Trio: Really often, Flippy, Flaky and Splendid.
- Covert Pervert: Many characters, but especially Flippy (when it involves Flaky) and Splendid (when it involves anyone).
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Flippy whenever any other male character gets near Flaky. Bonus added with the fact that Flippy is portrayed as an obsessive Yandere.
- Curtains Match the Window: Most of the time.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Flippy, from the war.
- Distressed Damsel: Giggles for Splendid.
- Flaky is this too, for both Flippy and Splendid.
- The Ditz: Lumpy, Splendid, Nutty.
- Everyone Is Bi: (Excluding Ka-Pow! characters), and has been in relationships with members of both sexes in at least some stories.
- Evil Laugh: Flippy.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: Flippy, Splendid, Lumpy and The Mole are usually grouped together (sometimes called "Four Gods"), since they are the characters who have the reputation of having the most kills:
- Flippy: The Cynic.
- Splendid: The Optimist.
- Lumpy: The Realist (he still has his moments, but he's closer to this than the others).
- The Mole: The Apathetic.
- Five-Bad Band: The Four Gods and Lammy:
- Gender Bender: Though most characters have been bent a few times, Flaky is the most popular choice, mostly due to the fact that fans have been confused regarding her gender for a long time.
- Japanese love Lumpy
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The evil side of Flippy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Cuddles and Toothy, Lifty and Shifty (at times - see above and below), Giggles and Petunia.
- Humanity Ensues: The characters are humans.
- Idiot Hero: Splendid.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Flippy with Flaky, most of the time.
- Incest Subtext: Lifty and Shifty.
- The Ingenue: Giggles and Flaky. Giggles is a sort of happier version of this trope, while Flaky is more withdrawn, timid and much easier to move to tears.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Many stories in which the difference in age between Flippy and Flaky is quite big.
- Jerkass: Lifty, Shifty, Nutty and the Ants (who only ever show up to torment Sniffles).
- Mad Scientist: Sniffles, sometimes.
- Murderers Are Rapists: Flippy.
- One Head Taller: Lumpy whenever he's in a pairing. Probably because he's taller than anybody else in the original series.
- Flippy and Flaky are often portrayed like this, too.
- Opposites Attract: Flippy and Flaky, Sniffles and Nutty (unless they're Just Friends).
- Out of Character / Evil Twin: Flaky is portrayed as having an evil side / being Cute and Psycho in some pictures. Others see it as her evil twin.
- And others see it as her and Flippy's evil daughter, who took the looks after her mother and her father's insanity. This is most probably due to a really popular artist who created some pictures with the potential spawn of Flippy and Flaky.
- Perpetual Frowner: Handy. Mostly due to the fact that he's frustrated because he is an amputee.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Splendid appears sometimes in Flippy / Flaky serious comics and wrecks the mood. Nutty too, but he appears less often than Splendid.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Nutty and Sniffles. Splendont and Splendid are an inverted example color-wise, because, personality-wise, Splendid is the hot blooded, enthusiastic of the two, while Splendont appears stoic or deadpan most of the time.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Giggles and Petunia.
- Romanticized Abuse: Apparently... many people think Flippy's most attractive side is the fact that he murders and abuses (physically and mentally) everyone around him.
- Platonic Life Partners: Cuddles and Flaky are shown to hang out together alone really often, but fans rarely pair them up or assume they have something going on. This is mostly due to the fact that Cuddles has a canonical girlfriend - Giggles- and that Flaky is automatically paired up with Flippy, despite that she has hung out with Flippy less often than she has with Cuddles.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Giggles.
- Shown Their Work: It's easy to brush fans off as only liking the art style or the characters, but much of the art proves how faithfully they watch the show. An excellent example is this very page image, which depicts characters in notable scenes throughout the series.
- Sibling Team: Lifty and Shifty.
- Smoking Is Cool: Flippy is often drawn smoking.
- The Quiet Stoic: The Mole, most of the time.
- Those Two Guys: Lumpy and Russell.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Lifty and Shifty.
- Tomboy: Flaky, even though she's this only when compared to Giggles and Petunia, mostly because she hangs out with guys more than with girls and due to her lack of Tertiary Sexual Characteristics in the actual show. When it comes to their personalities, she's shy and quiet compared to them.
- Trickster Twins: Lifty and Shifty.
- Tsundere: Petunia is this, sometimes.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Again, Flippy, Flaky and Splendid. Cuddles, Giggles and Toothy.
- Wife Husbandry: There are many side-stories in which Flaky is under Flippy's care as a little kid or she befriends him when she's still a child, only to fall in love with him later. One example is here.
- Wimpification: Flaky. Even more than she is in the original cartoon.
- Evil Flippy gets this treatment too.
- Yandere: Flippy with Flaky.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Almost all the characters.