Film: You Again
You Again, 2010 comedy and romance directed by Andy Fickman and staring Kristen Bell, Odette Yustman (she hadn't changed her last name to Annable then), Sigourney Weaver, Jamie Lee Curtis, Betty White, and Victor Garber.When former high school loser Marni Olsen realizes her brother is about to marry her high school rival Joanna, she sets out to expose the fiancée's true colours. Things get out of hand when it turns out that her mom Gail and the bride's aunt Ramona are in a similar situation.In need of some Wiki Magic.
This work contains the following tropes
- Alpha Bitch: Joanna formerly.
- The Bride With A Past: Marni realizes her brother is about to marry the Alpha Bitch who made her life miserable in high school.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Played with. When Joanna first meets Marni as Marni's future sister-in-law, she seemingly doesn't recognize or remember Marni in the slightest. Later when Marni confronts her in private, Joanna shows that she remembers perfectly and is unrepentant, dismissive and condescending. Later, after Marni blows up the wedding rehearsal by exposing Joanna's lies, Joanna admits to Marni that she really is sorry and only invoked the trope because she was terrified of the fact that she was marrying the brother of her former victim.
- The Cameo: Dwayne Johnson, uncredited, as the Air Marshal on Marni's plane; and Cloris Leachman (also uncredited) as Helen. And, of course, Hall And Oates perform at the end.
- The Cheerleader: Joanna and Gail were this in high school.
- Cool Aunt: Ramona to Joanna.
- Could Have Avoided This Plot: there seems to be no rational reason as to why Joanna didn't tell Marni from the start - or at least, when the two got alone together - that she regrets her old ways, choosing instead to put salt on her wounds while still acting like a Jerkass towards her. How exactly was that supposed to work out fine for her?
- Cringe Comedy: Try to watch the scene where Tim gives a speech at the wedding recital without cringing. I dare you.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The scene in the kitchen after the wedding is ruined, until revealed to be otherwise, is shot to make the audience feel like the ex-bride-to-be is about to commit suicide after the wedding is ruined.
- Fun with Acronyms: Marci Oliva Olsen. M.O.O.
- Generation Xerox: Played with. Marni was a dork in school and Joanna was the Alpha Bitch. While the same situation applies to Gail and Ramona, it was Gail who was the popular one and Ramona always left in the dust. For Grandma Bunny, see Here We Go Again.
- Here We Go Again: Grandma Bunny turns out to be an old rival of Joanna's grandma Helen.
- Meganekko: Marni initially.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Joanna, though she re-Took a Level in Jerkass partway through the movie.
- Review Ironic Echo: Roger Ebert couldn't resist beginning his review, "Oh no, not You Again."
- Rule of Pool: The conflict between Gail and Ramona started when the latter pushed the former to a pool during prom. They reconstructed their friendship after falling to the pool after their catfight.
- Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up: The main premise.
- Teens Are Monsters
- The Bride With A Past: Joanna.
- Title Drop: Played for Laughs
- Took a Level in Kindness: Joanna, though it takes Marni the entire movie to realize it.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Marni does some low things trying to get back at Joanna, and Joanna herself regresses to her former Alpha Bitch personality partway through the movie.
- We Used to Be Friends: Gail and Ramona. They got better.