Film: Yellow Brick Road
YellowBrickRoad is a 2010 horror film. In 1940 the entire population of Friar, New Hampshire spontaneously walked into the forest surrounding the town. Rescuers recovered a single deranged survivor but the rest of the townsfolk either disappeared entirely or else were found dead of exposure or various acts of violence. 70 years later, a husband and wife explorer team have been seeking access to the official records of the incident to no avail. When the records are unexpectedly released, they quickly organize a team of scientists and set off in search of the secret behind an entire town's self-destruction.
This film provides examples of:
- Alien Geometries: The distance the party travels within the forest seems to add up and make perfect sense while the group is walking. When added up later the distances do not make sense at all.
- Apocalyptic Log: Invoked deliberately with the regular videotaped interviews to check the crew for Sanity Slippage. They probably weren't expecting it to actually work though...
- Arc Words: "Bad berries."
- "Enjoy your picture show."
- "This is our home."
- Ax-Crazy : Daryl
- Brown Note: Shortly after Daryl's capture the omnipresent music seems to actively attack the campers, distorting into continual white noise that nearly incapacitates them.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The records clerk.
- Chekhov's Gun: The berries.
- Driven to Suicide: The apparent fate of the original walkers and seemingly anyone else who travels the road who are not murdered by their companions first.
- Gainax Ending
- Genius Loci: the forest itself.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Cy finally decides Liv will have to kill him as he is losing the battle against his impulse to kill her.
- Incessant Music Madness
- Lovecraft Country
- Wild Wilderness: the forest.
- A Wizard Did It: Jokingly suggested almost word for word by the team as a possible explanation for the music. Whether or not The Reveal at the end confirms it depends on your interpretation.