Trespassers will be violated.Scarecrows is a 1988 horror film.Following their robbery of the Camp Pendleton pay-roll, a group of ex-military personnel hijack a plane to bail to Mexico. They end up getting double-crossed by one of their own, who parachutes out of the plane with the money. The rest of the gang gives chase, and they all end up at some cornfields and a farmhouse where an extremely vicious and territorial group of scarecrows are prowling around.
This movie contains examples of:
- Antagonist Title
- Asshole Victim: Some of the bank robbers. Averted with Corbin.
- California Doubling: Set in California, filmed in Florida.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: One member's corpse is found stuffed with the heist money.
- Dark Is Evil: The film is set entirely at night and the scarecrows are downright horrifying.
- Death by Materialism: Roxanne keeps going after the money even after realizing how dangerous the scarecrows are. Gets her killed brutally.
- Department of Redundancy Department: "I think this place is possessed by demonic demons." Immediately lampshaded.
- Eye Scream: Al the pilot loses an eye when barbed wire is wrapped around his head posthumously.
- Facial Horror: When Jack returns as a scarecrow, he has no lips.
- Final Girl: Kellie.
- Fingore: A zombified Bert has his fingers accidentally bitten off.
- Roxanne ends up accidentally tearing her fingers off when her hands get impaled into the ground with a pitchfork and she has to yank it free.
- Genius Loci: The farmland itself may be this, or it may be the influence of the scarecrows. When the robbers enter the area, things start to go active, but once they all leave everything suddenly becomes inactive once again as if it's going back to sleep.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Corbin blows himself up along with Kellie's resurrected father to save Kellie.
- Ironic Echo: One of the scarecrows' mind games. They mimic the things that the people on the farm said after killing them in order to freak the remaining living people out.
- Nothing Is Scarier: No explanation is offered as to why the scarecrows are alive, though some of the criminals have theories.
- The remaining pictures and belongings in the farmhouse suggests that the owners were dabbling in black magic, and after they died (or left the area) whatever spells they cast remained on the land.
- Off with His Head!: The resurrected Bert gets his head sliced off.
- Rule of Scary: The film is more or less fueled by it.
- Sanity Slippage: Curry loses it aided no doubt by the scarecrows playing the mindgames.
- Scary Scarecrows: As should be apparent.
- Villain Protagonist: The majority of the living characters with the exception of Kellie and her dad are bank robbers who kidnapped the two because they needed a plane. Some of the robbers have Anti-Hero shades, some don't.