A trilogy of family-friendly fantasy movies made by Charles Band for Moonbeam Entertainment, a subsidiary of the Direct-to-Video B-Movie
studio Full Moon
, which is better known for producing R-rated horror movies.Prehysteria!
involves a young boy named Jerry and his family embark on a series of adventures when Jerry finds some mysterious eggs which hatch to reveal a brood of baby dinosaurs. The five baby dinosaurs are named after famous pop musicians. Including Elvis
, a male Tyrannosaurus Rex, Paula, a female Brachiosaurus, Jagger
, a male Stegosaurus, Hammer, a male Chasmosaurus, and Madonna
, the female Pteranodon.
The first movie in the series, Prehysteria! is about Rico Sarno
, a museum curator, who enters a ancient temple in a South American jungle, and discovers a nest of five eggs. He steals them and brings them back to his museum. Frank Taylor, a farmer, sells fossils to Rico and in a mix up, the Taylor's dog takes a cooler, which has the eggs. The kids, Monica and Jerry discover the dinosaurs when they hatch and try to keep it a secret, until their father finds out. Vicki, a woman who works for Rico, sees the dinosaurs, she tells the Taylors not to give them back to Rico because he will expose them. Rico finds out the Taylors have them and hires two robbers to help him get the dinosaurs back.
Continuing in Prehysteria! 2 Mr. Cranston is a friend of the Taylors and he watches the mini dinosaurs while they are on vacation. The five miniature dinosaurs break out of the Taylors' farm and accidentally get shipped into a crate of raisins. The crate is found in a box car by Naomi, a girl whose father works at the train station and a rich kid named Brendan Wellington who she helped hide in the box car while being chased by bullies
. When the two discover the baby dinosaurs, desperate for attention because his father Brendan tries to keep them. Needless to say, things don't go exactly as planned.
This follows straight into Prehysteria! 3. This time, the five dinosaurs fall out of the back of Mr. Cranston's truck, and they make their way to another family's home. The dinosaurs help the MacGregor family, who is struggling with their mini-putt golf course. Ella MacGregor, is in love with her Scottish ancestry, but is dispondant that the mini golf course is going under. She finds the dinosaurs, and with her family's help, they re-build the golf course with a dinosaur theme, which helps them a lot. But Ella's evil uncle Hal MacGregor is determined to take over the course by all means, and Ella and her parents must hide the mini dinosaurs.
The film series provides examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: The baby dinosaurs are as playful and friendly as puppies.
- Artistic License - Biology: All of the baby dinosaurs in the films were juveniles. Turns out the puppets used for them are minture models of adult sized dinosaurs.
- Asshole Victim: in the first film, Rico Sarno. Mrs. Winters in the second. Hal MacGregor in the third movie.
- Big Bad/Dangerously Genre Savvy: Mrs. Winters in Prehysteria 2, who is much more competent, threatening and cruel than the other villains in the series.
- Big Damn Heroes: Madonna swooping in for the save being the most obvious.
- Big Eater: All of the babies.
- Carnivore Confusion: Despite being a Tyrannosaurus rex, Elvis is mostly vegetarian, with one his favorite snacks being, rasins. He enjoys eating dog food, though.
- Extreme Omnivore: He actually seems to eat just about anything he can sink his teeth into. At one point, he catches a fly with his jaws.
: (after almost feeding a vegetable to him
) Oh, I forgot, you don't eat leaves
. (Elvis snaps at her
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The dinosaurs' eggs seem to have this going on:
- Reddish-brown egg: Elvis
- Black egg: Jagger
- Brightly colored egg: Madonna
- Bluish egg: Hammer
- Brown egg: Paula
- Cutting the Electronic Leash: The father of Brendan in Prehysteria 2 violently throws his ringing phone against the wall, breaking it.
- Dirty Coward: Rico Sarno
- Domesticated Dinosaurs: The basic premise of the trilogy.
- Egg MacGuffin: The eggs the baby dinos hatched from were treated like this, until they hatched of course.
- Fat Slob: Good ole Rico.
- Fun Size: The dinosaurs. Vicki deducts that the dinosaurs were dormant in their eggs for so long that they'll never get any bigger than they are now (or, as Mr. Taylor puts it, "[they] got the runts of the litter").
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Five-Man Band: List for the baby dinos follows.
- For Science!: Rico Sarno's excuse for everything he does, he's really just in need of cash.
- Hand Wave: The explanation as to why the dinos are stuck in their small size. See Fun Size.
- Harmless Villain: Rico Sarno and ole uncle Hal MacGregor in the third. As well as Rico's two helpers in the first film.
- Herbivores Are Friendly: All the babies are heroic herbivores (except for Elvis and Madonna — Madonna being a pterosaurs, and fish eater. And Elvis, for obvious reasons...though he seems to like dog food).
- Hidden in Plain Sight
- Little Stowaway: The baby dinos in the second movie.
- Magical South American: Jefe
- Mama Bear and Papa Wolf: All the children are very protective of the babies.
- Musical Theme Naming: The five dinosaurs are named after singers and musicians: Elvis, Madonna, Jagger, Paula and J.D. Hammer.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: In the first film, Rico and his goons kidnap all the dinosaurs except Madonna, who escapes by flying through a hole in the greenhouse roof. How did the hole get there? One of Rico's goons tried to shoot Madonna.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Elvis, no doubt when he grows up.
- Non-Indicative Name: In-universe example:
- Parrot Pet Position: In the first film, Madonna's favorite thing to do was sit on Monica's shoulder.
- Polly Wants a Microphone: Madonna can mimic human speech like a parrot.
- The Pratfall: This would befall some of the villians. Thanks to the baby dinos.
- Prehistoric Monster: Totally and utterly averted. All the dinosaurs are adorable and gentle. Until you anger them.
- Ptero Soarer: Madonna
- Also kind of zig zagged; she's a fairly accurate model, appearance-wise (with the sole exception of lacking the short crest that a female Pteranodon/Geosternbergia would have), but in behavior she's more like a parrot than a Pterosaur.
- Really 700 Years Old: The babies are technically over 20 million years old. It's justified as their eggs where in some form of stasis before they hatched.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Every single one of the five baby dinos.
- Samus Is a Girl: Monica is not pleased at the amount of people who get Madonna's gender wrong.
(while Madonna is swooping in to save her siblings)
Thug: (angry) I'm gonna rip his little beak off!
Rico: (panicked) He's gonna rip his little beak off!
Monica: It's a she you crooks!
- Science Marches On: In the years that passed since these films were made we've learned that Elvis would likely have had feathers and Madonna's species should be named Geosternbergia instead of Pteranodon.
- Starring Special Effects: And really good special effects too!
- Stock Dinosaurs: Tyrannosaurus rex, Stegosaurus, and Brachiosaurus all appear as leads. They were all no doubt chosen specifically to appeal to young people.
- Subverted with Hammer, the Chasmosaurus.
- They also have a stock pterosaur, who also subverts this trope by being what was formerly an obscure genus of Pteranodon known as Pteranodon Sternbergi (now known as Geosternbegia)
- Straw Hypocrite: In the first film, Rico claims to be trying to revolutionize the scientific community but is really just in it for the money. In the second, Mrs. Winters claims that she wants to ship Brendan to a boarding school for his own good when in reality all she wants is to get rid of him.
- Stupid Scientist: Rico Sarno.
- Theme Naming: The three dinos are all named after famous musicians.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Elvis, the unofficial leader of the babies.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Brendan's relationship with his father in the second movie.