A 1971 thriller film, the directorial debut of Clint Eastwood
Dave (Eastwood) is a womanizing DJ who constantly gets calls from a woman asking him to play the song "Misty". He eventually meets the woman, named Evelyn (Jessica Walter
), and has a one-night-stand with her. Evelyn insists on making herself part of Dave's life and, at first, Dave likes the attention. However, his ex-girlfriend, Tobie, moves back to town and Dave decides to patch things up. After he attempts to tell Evelyn that he's not interested, she responds by attempting suicide. Dave and Tobie get closer, but Evelyn isn't going to take it and tries any way she can to keep Dave to herself, even if it means getting rid of Tobie for good...
This film contains examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Evelyn gets more violent as the film goes on.
- Black Best Friend: Al Monte
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted. The first of the two people Evelyn attacks in the movie is Dave's black housekeeper, but she survives.
- Or does she? We never actually see her again, after she's being carted off to the hospital, so there's every possibility that she passed away.
- Dave does refer to Evelyn, months later, as the woman who *tried* to kill her, suggesting she survived the ordeal.
- Camp Gay: Tobie's artist friend Jay Jay.
- Cool Car: Dave has one of these as well as a Cool House.
- Disney Villain Death: Evelyn is accidentally pushed off a cliff by Dave.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Evelyn.
- Not Good with Rejection: Guess who?
- Old Flame: Tobie, to Dave.
- Scenery Porn: The Carmel-Monterey coastline is shown to great effect.
- The Seventies
- Sexy Coat Flashing: Although, since it's Evelyn, the effect is rather more creepy than sexy.
- Stalker with a Crush: Notably, this is something of an Unbuilt Trope. Rather than the modern Double Standard of female stalkers being Played for Laughs, Dave is clearly sympathetic, and for the majority of the movie trying to do the right thing. He wants to get back with his ex, and he's trying to put Evelyn down as gently as possible. Evelyn, on the other hand, is portrayed as horrible.
- Title Drop: "Play Misty for me"
- Traumatic Haircut: Evelyn gives one of these to Tobie while holding her hostage.
- Yandere: Evelyn, of course.