Film: One Missed Call
"That's not my ringtone..."One Missed Call is a 2008 American remake of J-horror movie Chakushin Ari. The main plot is that a spirit inside cell phones will call itself and play for the owner what they'll sound like when they die shortly after. This version stars Shannyn Sossamon and Edward Burns.
Tropes used by the movie:
- Abusive Parents: Social Services suspected this to be the case with Marie Layton. Actually subverted - it was an abusive sister. Marie Layton discovered the abuse just before she and Ellie died
- Black Chick Dies First: Poor Meagan Good.
- Cultural Translation
- Dark Secret: The killer ghost wasn't of the mother of the two girls, it was the older sister.
- Evil Phone
- For the Evulz: After its first few victims, the ghost really seems to have no reason to kill anybody besides plain old sociopathy.
- Haunted Technology: the phone.
- It Won't Turn Off: Once again, the phone.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: The aforementioned ringtone-that-is-not-theirs.
- Orphanage of Fear
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Remove the battery from your phone? The call will still get through. Cancel your cell phone service and break the processor chips in your phone? It'll still ring.
- You Can't Fight Fate: You would think that trying to avoid saying the "last words" a victim hears would null the prophecy, but... actually, none of the characters thought of that. A Prophecy Twist is still possible, on special occasions.