Film / Love Stinks
1999 comedy film starring French Stewart
, Bridgette Wilson
, Bill Bellamy
and Tyra Banks
Seth Winnick (Stewart) is on the way to his wedding to Chelsea Turner (Wilson) when his buddy and best man Larry (Bellamy) pulls him into the airplane bathroom for a little chat - in which he begs Seth to call off the wedding.
Flash back a year prior to when Seth met Chelsea, at Larry's own wedding to her best friend Holly (Banks). Chelsea is an interior decorator whose beauty immediately catches Seth's eye, while Chelsea herself is attracted to Seth because he's a nice guy who happens to be single. The two ditch their dates and hook up that very day.
Before long, Chelsea has moved firmly into Seth's life as his live-in girlfriend. She's funny, sexy, and drop dead gorgeous, seemingly everything Seth could want - and is making increasingly not-so-subtle hints that she'd like to marry him. She doesn't take it very well when he makes it clear to her that he's really not interested in marriage, and the relationship quickly goes downhill when she decides to sue him for palimony.
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Black Best Friend: A twofer; Larry for Seth, and his wife Holly for Chelsea.
- Elvis Impersonator: Serves as the pastor at Seth and Chelsea's wedding. Justified, as they're in Las Vegas and Seth is an Elvis fan.
- Escalating War: Seth and Chelsea's relationship turns into this, with each one playing increasingly mean tricks on the other.
- How We Got Here: Nearly the entire film is a flashback, as Larry tries to convince Seth not to go through with the marriage.
- I Wrote Our Story: Seth, who is the scriptwriter for a TV show, begins basing his scripts on the events of his own life even as things with Chelsea begin to fall apart.
- Kick the Dog: Seth throwing Chelsea's cat off a bridge. Gracie doesn't actually get hurt because she's in a harness attached to a cord, but it's still a dick thing to do.
- Chelsea's no slouch either as she often takes advantage of Seth's cat allergy, such as when she brings Gracie to bed with her and deliberately brushes dander and loose fur in his direction.
- Large Ham: Seth frequently crosses into this territory.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Chelsea seems like this for Seth at first, as she certainly makes his life more fun and exciting. But when he's not willing to completely let go of his old life and marry her, things go from dream to nightmare.
- My Biological Clock Is Ticking: Why Chelsea's so fixated on getting married.
- Rule of Three: On their first date, Chelsea tells Seth that she has a rule in which she will not sleep with a man unless they've had three meals together.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Apparently why Chelsea fell for Seth. Though she seems to have been more interested in the fact that he was single.