Film: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Space Sheriff Gavan: The Movie
between Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
and Space Sheriff Gavan
This movie contains examples of the following tropes:
- Acting for Three: Kenji Ohba not only reprises his role as Retsu Ichijouji (Space Sheriff Gavan), he also reprises his two major roles in Super Sentai, Shirou Akebono (Battle Kenya) from Battle Fever J and Daigorou Oume (Denzi Blue) from Denshi Sentai Denziman.
- And of course, at the very end the three of them are standing together on-camera, with Daigorou's arm on Retsu's shoulder. For those who don't know, that is a VERY difficult shot to do, since they were filmed outside and not in a green screen studio.
- The Alcatraz: Part of the setting, with the Gokaigers even planning a breakout.
- Aside Glance: Upon defeating the Gokaigers, Gavan salutes at the camera.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: All the Gokaigers, including Machalcon in his Big Damn Heroes, borrow Marvelous' Battle Cry, providing variations of their own (all except Gai, who can't come up with one).
- Book Ends: A shot of Gavan at the top of a flight of stairs.
- Combination Attack: Gokai Red and Gavan execute a finishing attack on giant Asurada called the Gavan Marvelous Dynamic - Marvelous plugs the Gokai Red Ranger Key into his Gokai Sabre for a Final Wave and does a powerful slash while Gavan uses his Gavan Dynamic, a powerful slash from his Laser Blade.
- Continuity Cameo: Well there's obviously Gavan, along with Battle Kenya and Denzi Blue. Several past villains appear as well.
- Continuity Nod: The Gokaiger mention to Gavan at the beginning of the movie that the Dekaranger have already cleared the Gokaigers' names with regards to the accusations by the Zangyack.
- Jerashid is wearing a wedding ring, consistent of when he last appeared in the series.
- Cool Old Guy: The trinity of Kenji Ohba.
- Crucified Hero Shot: Gavan.
- Dramatic Drop: Gai at the beginning, upon witnessing the aerial battle between the Gokai Galleon and Gavan's ship, and seeing his friends lose.
- Dungeon Bypass: How the Gokaigers quickly escape the Makuu prison: separated on different levels, they all shoot down at their feet, creating a hole on each floor to jump through.
- Early-Bird Cameo: This movie marks the first appearance of the Gokaiger's successors, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, who take on Basco.
- Evil Knockoff: Gavan Bootleg.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: Makuu Prison; Retsu is held at the very top of the structure.
- Graceful Loser: Surprisingly, Basco once he is thwarted by the Go-busters.
- Handshake Substitute: Marvelous and Retsu have a fist bump before the big brawl.
- Homage: The ending in which Gavan poses with Battle Kenya and Denzi Blue is a callback to the Grand Finale of Space Sheriff Shaider, in which the title character posed with Gavan and Sharivan.
- Hope Spot: The beginning of the movie has the Gokaigers believing they shot down Gavan's ship that was chasing them, until Electronic Starbeast Dol flies out of the flames and takes them down.
- I Owe You My Life: Marvelous helps Gavan to return the favor, since Retsu saved a young Marvelous and helped make him the man he is today by teaching him to be brave. The other Gokaiger go along because, as they say, Marvelous' origin is their origin, so by association they owe him too.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Marvelous and Retsu/Gavan.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Gavan is hired by the Zangyack to capture the Gokaiger.
- Lover Tug of War: Don between Shizuka and Kegalesia. Should he count as lucky or unlucky?
- Man Versus Machine: Gavan versus Bootleg. As Retsu says in the final battle, Bootleg might know all his moves, but a mere machine can't copy the human soul.
- Milestone Celebration: Of the Metal Heroes' 30th year.
- Mirrored Confrontation Shot: between Gokai Red and Gavan.
- Name's the Same: Gokaiger's Don and Don Horror, the Big Bad of the original Space Sheriff Gavan series. Although Don Horror doesn't appear in this movie, when Makuu Chief Asurada says that the blood of Don Horror is flowing through him, the Gokaigers lampshade this, saying they don't know who Don Horror is but their Don is more impressive, though Marvelous says that doesn't really matter either.
- Noodle Incident:
- While discussing Gavan, Denzi Blue mentions to Battle Kenya that he met him once. An off-screen Denziman/Gavan teamup perhaps?
- Jerashid is one of the inmates in the Makuu Prison. Since he had retired from villainy earlier in the series, it's unclear what lead to his imprisonment. He even starts to explain, but the Gokaigers blow him off.
- Overly Long Gag: the time Don takes to recover from a fall, in slow-motion.
- Production Foreshadowing: In the Go-Busters Early-Bird Cameo, Basco assumes they are "Super Sentai wannabes", before they reveal themselves to be the 36th Super Sentai team. Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger, an unofficial Super Sentai series which follows the adventures of an unofficial Sentai team trying to get their own TV show and be recognised as an official Super Sentai, first aired a few months after the movie was released.
- Remember the New Guy: Marvelous is revealed to have known Gavan some time in the past.
- Shot at Dawn: How the Gokaigers are supposed to be executed, complete with Unwilling Suspension.
- Theme Song Power Up: The Space Sheriff Gavan and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger main themes play during the Gavan vs. Gavan Bootleg/Gokaigers vs. Asurada double battle near the end of the movie. Also, the Gokaigers and Gavan quote their own theme songs at various points during the movie to inspire or motivate themselves/others (such as Gavan's pep talk to a young Marvelous).
- Time Shifted Actor: Averted; Kenji Ohba plays Retsu in Marvelous's Flash Back, but they only ever show him from the back or in distant shots (and apparently touched up the gray out of his hair) in order to hide his age.
- Transformation Sequence: According to the narrator, it takes one-twentieth of a second for Retsu to change into Gavan, while the Gokaiger only take one-tenth of a millisecond to transform.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Played for laughs; Gai gets manhandled by Luka and Don because of how late his rescue attempt was.
- Visual Pun: Gavan slashes at the screen in a certain pattern once the "cross"-over part was mentioned in the narration.