Released in 2005, June Bug
is an independent comedy-drama about newly-weds Madeleine and George.
Madeleine is an art dealer, and is pursuing a North-Carolinian painter for her outsider-art gallery, so the couple take this opportunity to visit George's family, who live close by.
June Bug provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Ashley, while Madeleine tries to help Johnny with his schoolwork
- Accidental Misnaming: Madeline casually called Peg Pam at the beginning.
- Adult Fear: The death of the infant during childbirth.
- Alliterative Name: Johnny 'Johnsten. Junebug would have been this.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Ashley believes that the baby will solve her and Johnny's marital problems. Sadly, it didn't.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The three women; Peg (Blond), Madeline (Brunette) and Redhead (Ashley).
- Chekhov's Gun: Ashley's love of meerkats. She firsts mentions it during her excited ramble when meeting Madeleine. Johnny tries to tape a documentary for her about them, but it doesn't really work.
- The City vs. the Country: Madeline is a City Mouse in contrast to George's Country Mouse family. However, the film neither demonizes the city nor idealizes the country.
- Fourth Date Marriage: George and Ashley married only after a week of knowing each other.
- Freudian Trio: The three main couples.
- Eugene and Peg (Ego)
- George and Madeline (Superego)
- Johnny and Ashley (Id)
- Genki Girl: Ashley often gets very excited.
- High School Sweethearts: Johnny and Ashley, though not the happiest example.
- Infant Immortality: Depressingly averted.
- Insatiable Newlyweds: Madeleine and George's sex life is rampant, in contrast to the rest of George's family.
- Mood Whiplash: Ashley going into labor is a pretty standard enjoyable, humorous scene. It doesn't last long.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever happened between brothers George and Johnny, it must have been very bad.
- Parental Marriage Veto: George's parents seems to dislike his and Madeline's marriage.
- The Pollyanna: Ashley always finds way to be optimistic.
- The Rainman: The Autistic painter Madeline is trying to hire.
- Secondary Character Title: Junebug is the name Ashley wants for the baby. Comes into Artifact Title after the depressing outcome.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Nothing really changes at the end of the movie, though it seems Johnny does care for Ashley and George's family doesn't dislike Madeline.
- Wham Line: "Listen, we lost him."