Film / Born in East L.A.
Born in East L.A.
is a 1987 comedy film written and directed by Cheech Marin
, who also has the lead role as a Mexican-American who is mistaken for an illegal immigrant and deported to Mexico.
This movie provides examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: Of the music video.
- Bait and Switch:
- It seems as though Rudy was following the attractive redhead because he's trying to ask her out. Only to meet her at his workplace.
- Feo seems to be offering Rudy the job of electric chair executioner. He turns on the switch, the prisoner flinches in pain... then Rudy noticed he's sitting on the running tattoo needle.
- Chekhov's Gun: The money Rudy was supposed to deposit was used to save Rudy and his new girlfriend Dolores from the Coyotes.
- Saved from the Coyotes? Was this only in the (considerably extended) TV version?
- Citizenship Marriage: At the end, he manages to sneak back into the USA and hastily marries Dolores so she will not be deported - she lives in Mexico but is from El Salvador and risks being sent back there as she has had her ID stolen.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jimmy
"GODDAMN IT! GODDAMN YOU! SON OF BITCH I HATE THIS FUCKING LIFE!"
- Distracted by the Sexy: There's a couple of gags where an especially attractive redheadnote Latino woman (who was one of Cheech's garage customers in the movie) would literally make everyone else stop in their tracks and stare whenever she walked past. She makes a last appearance at the end of the film.
- Later in the movie, Rudy was looking at a Mexican woman in a leopard-spotted dress swaying her hips.
- El Spanish O:
- "You wanna wait outside? Outside-o."
- "El stop-o! God damn-o!"
- The Film of the Song: Which is a parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA".
- Foreshadowing: Rudy's mom rented the house across the street. In the alternate scene, the tenants were the Coyotes.
- Groin Attack: More like Groin Tickle.
Little guy: You better give us the money, or you better give us somethiiiiing! (grabbing Rudy's groin)
- I Just Had To Say It
Rudy: Is there anything else? I like to eat my breakfast before it grows green hair on it!
Rudy's mom: As a matter of fact, there is.
Rudy: I had to ask.
- Jerkass: The crooked immigration officer in a cowboy hat and sunglasses.
- Los Angeles: At the start and end.
- Mood-Swinger: Jimmy. Mostly during his introduction.
- Motor Mouth:
Rudy: First I went down to the factory to pick up my cousin, you know, I don't even know what he looks like, but my mother showed me a picture, and went to the factory to pick him up, and I won't lie to you but he's probably an illegal anyways, so anyway I went to look for him and he's not even there, and I was walking around the factory and all of a sudden the goddamn immigration raid, the guys came and busted him, and they think that I'm an illegal and grabbed me and threw me in the bus! And I want to complain about that officer right now, this guy was not only rude, he was degrading! So they deported me, and so they bring me down here, so here I am and-- all I wanted to do is go home now, okay?
Immigration worker: Well that's a real interesting story. Now would you mind repeating it to somebody as slow as I am can understand?
- No, You
Feo: Don't forget, brother. You owe us a $100.
Rudy: (gives him the finger) Here's one of them: fuck you.
Feo: The wrath of God will follow you, heathen!
(after Rudy is in jail for trying to pass the border)
Feo: Fuck me? No. Fuck you!
- Oh Crap!: Rudy tries to call home to get picked up. But just remembered his family went to Fresno.
- Precision F-Strike: Rudy tends to say "shit" whenever he's angry.
- Real Men Drive Pink: Rudy drives a pink lowered Volkswagen to work.
- Ronald Reagan: He's mentioned several times. When the immigration officer asks Rudy who's the president, he answers John Wayne by mistake, which is "proof" enough that he's an illegal despite his protests and his ability to clearly speak English.
Rudy: I'M AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, YOU IDIOTS! THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IS RONALD "DICKHEAD" REAGAN!
- Shut Up, Kirk!:
Rudy: I wanna see your superior officer right now! I know my right!
Immigration worker: Come and get this guy!
- Those Two Bad Guys
- Title Drop: "I was born in East LA."
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The two guys who drove Rudy and the others to East LA. They were last seen leaving the truck to take a leak.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Feo. He must have been a real ugly baby.