Born In East L.A.
stars Cheech Marin
as a Mexican-American who is mistaken for an illegal immigrant and deported to Mexico.
This movie provides examples of:
- Chekhov's Gun: The money Rudy was supposed to deposit was used to save Rudy and his new girlfriend Dolores from the Coyotes.
- Saved from the Coyotes? Was this only in the (considerably extended) TV version?
- Citizenship Marriage: At the end, he manages to sneak back into the USA and hastily marries Dolores so she will not be deported - she lives in Mexico but is from El Salvador and risks being sent back there as she has had her ID stolen.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jimmy
"GODDAMN IT! GODDAMN YOU! SON OF BITCH I HATE THIS FUCKING LIFE!"
- Distracted by the Sexy: There's a couple of gags where an especially attractive redheadnote Latino woman (who was one of Cheech's garage customers in the movie) would literally make everyone else stop in their tracks and stare whenever she walked past. She makes a last appearance at the end of the film.
- El Spanish O: "You wanna wait outside? Outside-o."
- The Film of the Song: Which is a parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA".
- Foreshadowing: Rudy's mom rented the house across the street. In the alternate scene, the tenants were the Coyotes.
- Groin Attack: More like Groin Tickle.
Little guy: You better give us the money, or you better give us somethiiiiing! (grabbing Rudy's groin)
- I Just Had To Say It
Rudy: Is there anything else? I like to eat my breakfast before it grows green hair on it!
Rudy's mom: As a matter of fact, there is.
Rudy: I had to ask.
- Jerkass: The crooked immigration officer in a cowboy hat and sunglasses.
- Los Angeles: At the start and end.
- Mood Whiplash: Jimmy
- Oh Crap: Rudy tries to call home to get picked up. But just realized his family went to Fresno.
- Precision F-Strike: Rudy tends to say "shit" whenever he's angry.
- Real Men Drive Pink: Rudy drives a pink lowered Volkswagen to work.
- Ronald Reagan: He's mentioned several times. When the immigration officer asks Rudy who's the president, he answers John Wayne by mistake, which is "proof" enough that he's an illegal despite his protests and his ability to clearly speak English.
Rudy: I'M AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, YOU IDIOTS! THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IS RONALD "DICKHEAD" REAGAN!
- Those Two Guys