"The day I was born started off bad, and it only got worse."A 1996 drama film directed by Anjelica Huston, adapted from the novel of the same name by Dorothy Allison.Set in rural South Carolina in The '50s, it tells the story of Annie Boatwright (Jennifer Lason Leigh) and her young daughter Ruth Anne "Bone" Boatwright (Jena Malone).Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Includes examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Bone's stepfather is very abusive towards her.
- Heroic Bastard: Bone.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Glen gets the holy hell beat out of him by Bone's uncles.
- Deep South
- From Bad to Worse: As the quote above implies, Bone starts off in and a bad situation, and it only gets worse from there.
- In-Series Nickname: Our protagonist is named Ruth Anne, but she has been called Bone since birth.
- Rape as Drama
- Would Hurt a Child: Glen has no qualms about this whatsoever.