Actress born February 10, 1967, best known for such movies as Jurassic Park
, Blue Velvet
, Wild at Heart
, Citizen Ruth
, and Inland Empire
. Daughter of Bruce Dern
and Diane Ladd
.YMMV page here.
- Adorkable: As much as a woman in her mid-40s can get. Just look to these candid photos of her at the beach.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Was regularly teased and picked on in school due to her unusually tall (5'11") height and awkward behavior. "Dern the Nerd" was a favorite moniker among her childhood bullies.
- Black Sheep Hit: While the majority of Dern's roles have been in dramatic indie films with some kind of socio-political edge, her best known role is Dr. Ellie Sattler in the action-adventure blockbuster Jurassic Park.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Dern appeared as a child eating an ice cream cone in the 1974 film ''Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" (of which her mom Diane Ladd was a supporting cast member). After numerous retakes required her to eat twelve cones in one sitting, which she did without getting sick, director Martin Scorsese remarked to Ladd, "This girl could be an actress!"
- Christmas Cake: Didn't get married until 38, and is now again single.
- Cleopatra Nose
- Does Not Like Shoes: Is most often seen either barefoot or in sandals.
- Fanservice: The safari shorts in Jurassic Park.
- Or if you're a foot fetishist, there is a quite a bit for you in Citizen Ruth.
- Fan Disservice: On the flipside, the distorted shots of her face in Inland Empire.
- Generation Xerox: The daughter of two well-respected actors (Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd) has become a well-respected actress in her own right.
- Has acted alongside her mom Diane Ladd in a number of films (Where in many cases, Ladd plays the mother of Dern's character!), the most notable being Rambling Rose, in which they both received Academy Award nominations for their performances.
- Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame right by her parents'.
- Happily Married: Seemed to be to Ben Harper. Their separation and divorce after a decade together was a surprise to many.
- Nerd Glasses: While they only make sporadic appearances, she does wear a pair.
- From a 1993 interview in Playboy: "[Another thing that people don't know about me]] is that I wear glasses. I'm Miss Coke Bottles."
- Old Shame: Her appearance in the (never-released) low-budget horror film Grizzly II in the mid-1980s because she was young and needed the money. Just saying the film's title is good enough to get a priceless reaction out of her.
- Panty Shot: A prominent whale-tail in Citizen Ruth◊.
- Romance on the Set: Has dated a lot of her male co-stars. Has been in relationships with Nicolas Cage, Jeff Goldblum, Kyle Maclachlan and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.
- She Is All Grown Up: Went from this to this.
- She's Got Legs
- Statuesque Stunner
- Stock Underwear: Described her love for G-strings in a 1993 Playboy interview.
- Younger than They Look: Appeared to be much older than 25 in Jurassic Park.