Creator: Laura Dern
Actress born February 10, 1967, best known for such movies as Jurassic Park, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Citizen Ruth, and Inland Empire. Daughter of Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd.
Tropes related to her carreer:
- Black Sheep Hit: While the majority of Dern's roles have been in dramatic indie films with some kind of socio-political edge, her best known role is Dr. Ellie Sattler in the action-adventure blockbuster Jurassic Park.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Dern appeared as a child eating an ice cream cone in the 1974 film ''Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" (of which her mom Diane Ladd was a supporting cast member). After numerous retakes required her to eat twelve cones in one sitting, which she did without getting sick, director Martin Scorsese remarked to Ladd, "This girl could be an actress!"
- Old Shame: Her appearance in the (never-released) low-budget horror film Grizzly II in the mid-1980s because she was young and needed the money. Just saying the film's title is good enough to get a priceless reaction out of her.
- One of Us:
- Dern is very enthusiastic about what she does; has a tendency to geek out pretty much whenever anything related to film or the performing arts is brought up, and ESPECIALLY if one of her films is brought up.
- Despite going completely against the roles she usually picks, she happily took her role in Jurassic Park because she thought appearing in a dinosaur movie would be the coolest thing ever, and she couldn't turn down the opportunity to work with Steven Spielberg. During filming she climbed inside one of the animatronic dinosaurs to see how it worked.
- Playing Against Type: What her role as Dr. Ellie Sattler in Jurassic Park effectively was.
- Romance on the Set: Has dated a lot of her male co-stars. Has been in relationships with Nicolas Cage, Jeff Goldblum, Kyle Maclachlan and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.
- Statuesque Stunner: She may not look like it, being dwarfed by most of her male co-stars, on camera, but she's actually 5'10".