Fanfic Recs: Fruits Basket
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fruits Basket fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and WebsitesNone yet. Shigure's Secret Homosexual Bondage Dungeon by Evil Asian Genius (Despite the title, this is not a yaoi lemon)
- Recommended by DrGeoduck, Zadia, allboyband
- Synopsis: Shigure reveals that he owns a Secret Homosexual Bondage Dungeon. Kyo and Yuki find themselves obsessed by the mystery of what this means, and they investigate. Will curiosity kill a cat and a rat?
- Comments: This story is sublimely funny and silly and very affectionate towards the characters. A short and wonderful read. Will make you laugh. A lot.
- Recommended by ChiTownBhoy
- Synopis: An AU fic which takes place in 1880 Arizona. Kyo is the son of a samurai family and works with a gunslinger to bring down an outlaw.
- Comments: While not the absolute best, it makes up for it in its uniqueness for a Fruits Basket fic. Successfully combining the Jidai Geki and The Western, it sets up a friendship between the cannon characters and the O Cs, and is more action-based than most Fruits Basket fics. But apart from the action, it also has the underlying theme of old vs. new; Kyo and Tohru are clearly out-of-place in the Wild West, while his friend is not.
- Recommended by Lotuschan
- Synopsis: A few centimeters lower, and Hatori doesn't forgive himself. - Chapter 95 Alternate Reality
- Comments: A "what could have happened" when Akito smashes a vase over Yuki's head. A great read if you enjoy Yuki, Hatori and some quiet introspective angst.
- Recommended by Animenutcase
- Synopsis: It's summer! And you know what that means... The Sohma Summer Vacation from Hell!
- Comments: The author has a very unique writing style that makes the story hilarious. She manages to come across as a Large Ham in writing, combined with Lemony Narrator. Character Exaggeration is rampant and it is wonderful. Because she didn't know much about his character, the author took some liberties with the characterization of Kureno, who becomes a Cloudcuckoolander Sitcom Archnemesis of the Mabudachi Trio. If you've ever wanted to see the Sohma family cross the Rainbow Road to the United States (specifically, North Dakota), a vengeful Akito hijack a ride with Kazuma to follow them, Hatori as the Only Sane Man and The Chew Toy, this is your story. The story is complete at 22 chapters. The sequel, unfortunately, seems to be a Dead Fic at 8 chapters.
- Recommended by Lotuschan
- Synopsis: For Yuki's sake, Kakeru was willing to play the fool.
- Comments: An interesting look into the friendship between Kakeru and Yuki, written from Kakeru's perspective. Kakeru's characterization is spot on, and gives a little perspective into why Kakeru acts the way he does.
- Recommended by chibiaries, Animenutcase, 8lah8lah8lah
- Synopsis: Tohru meets Sephiroth in the universe of Kingdom Hearts. Dancing mushrooms are involved.
- Comments: The author somehow makes this crossover work, with increasingly hilarious oneshots after the The Edge of the Map, the fic that detailed Tohru's first encounter with a Final Fantasy VII character. Basic knowledge of the fandoms involved is necessary for understanding this fic, although more in-depth knowledge will help you catch the in-jokes. Tohru uses her skill of Talking the Monster to Death very well, leading to several Crowning Moment of Funny and Crowning Moment of Awesome. For a crack fic everyone is surprisingly in character.
- This troper totally seconds. Knowledge of Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts isn't exactly required, but it does help. Tohru makes herself a force to be reckoned with not by swinging a Keyblade around (although she does have one) or by killing monsters - she's just herself. Her Crowning Moments Of Awesome are both hilarious and adorable. Sephiroth has no idea what he's getting himself into. A great reminder of why Tohru is this troper's favorite character.
- Recommended by Gemini24
- Crossover with Bleach
- Status: Unknown
- Synopsis: Kyo & Ichigo met as kids & hadn't seen each other since. Years later Ichigo & Kyo meet again, but Kyo is in trouble with a Hollow chasing after him. Can Ichigo & Rukia help save Kyo from the hollow named Nekomata? Why is she after Kyo & who is she?