Characters: Fruits Basket
The following tropes can be applied to the characters of the manga
series Fruits Basket
open/close all folders
The heroine of the story, Tohru ends up in the Sohma household after her mother dies and she sets up tent on their property. She forges friendships with Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure, and eventually comes to befriend the rest of the Sohmas as well.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has blue eyes in the anime as opposed to the brown ones of the manga.
- All-Loving Hero: She loves everyone, even Akito, who is disliked by nearly the entire Sohma family, and does not hold grudges against anyone.
- All of the Other Reindeer: When she was younger.
- Badass Pacifist: This non-Action Girl teenager manages to calm down Kyo when he reverts to his true form and then she also speaks gently to Akito even when she's screaming and swinging a knife around.
- To add to the first point, Kyo's true form is not only hideous and reeking of dead human flesh but also super strong and super agile. Kyo, in blind fear of being rejected by her, slashes her arm, which noticeably hurts her a lot. She does puke at some point due to the rotten-flesh stink.
- And to add to the second: Akito is the God(dess) of the Zodiac. A terrifying mix of Manipulative Bitch, Broken Bird and Yandere, who is in a state of complete terror and anger since the Jyuunishi are being released from the curse one by one, which she sees as them abandoning her... and it's her biggest fear coming true. So after stabbing Kureno, Akito is at the lowest point of her whole life, screaming and swinging the knife she used on him. And yet Tohru manages to not run away, and offer her kindness... which would eventually kickstart Akito's Heel-Face Turn.
- Be Yourself
- Book Dumb
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Gentle Girl to Kyo's Brooding Boy.
- Brown Eyes: Manga
- Care Bear Stare: Hiro thinks she can do this because she can love and tolerate the shit out of anyone.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She can be this on occasion but on the most part she's level headed.
- Cool Big Sis: Towards Kisa.
- Cooldown Hug: With Kyo's monster form.
- Crash-Into Hello: Kyo falls through the roof, shouts at Yuki, and then Tohru trips and falls on him.
- Curtains Match the Window: In the manga.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Determinator: One of Tohru's many mottos is to "never give up". As such, she continues to press on and on until she achieves the goals she has laid out for herself, including breaking the Sohma family's curse.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Invoked; Tohru is warned by Kagura not to claim she loves Kyo because she pities him.
- Extreme Doormat: Tends to veer into this territory.
- Face Fault: Truly, out of ALL the characters, she makes the MOST face faults out of ANYONE. Makes sense though, being the normal person among a family of people who can transform into talking animals.
- First Kiss: Gets a bit complicated.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Tohru" is more commonly a boy's name, but her father gave it to her to emphasize her femininity — "like adding salt to something sweet to enhance the flavor", in his own words.
- Golden Moment
- Grow Old with Me: With Kyo.
- Hair Decorations: Usually has ribbons in her hair.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Kyo.
- Heroic BSOD: After Kureno tells her that he has no desire to see Arisa again as well as the truth about Akito, Tohru stays in the same spot for hours, until Hanajima comes to save her.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Has low self esteem hidden under her eternal smile.
- The Heroine: The protagonist who is saving the Sohmas from themselves.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: In the anime.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Ever since her mother told her the fate of the cat in the Chinese Zodiac origin story, her favorite animals have been cats. She is so fond of them that if the Year of the Cat existed then she would want to be born in it. It makes sense that she falls in love with Kyo.
- Magic Skirt: Courtesy of her school uniform which is so absurdly short she would get arrested for it in other places which makes it all the weirder how it manages to stay in place.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: During Katsuya's funeral, Tohru's relatives openly speculate if Tohru was born from an affair. Their "evidence" was that Tohru didn't physically resemble Katsuya, and that Kyoko was a Former Teen Rebel.
- Nice Girl
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: To her mom, before she died.
- Not So Different: In the manga's climax, parallels are drawn between how Tohru's devotion to her dead mother ties her down emotionally and the Sohma clan's curse. Specifically their 'bonds' to Akito, who does all of her evil and bitchy deals to not be abandoned by them.
- Orphan's Ordeal: She has a living grandfather and other relatives, but lived in a tent because she didn't want to burden them. Considering how badly her aunt and cousins treat her when she has to move back with the grandpa, she can't be blamed.
- Plucky Girl: Eternally optimistic but never delusional. As for the bravery, see her entry on Badass Pacifist.
- The Pollyanna: In the anime, where nothing at all gets her down, unlike in the manga.
- Romance Genre Heroines: Of The Nurturer variety.
- Sorry I Fell on Your Fist
- Stepford Smiler: In the manga. She gets better.
- Talking to the Dead: Keeps a picture of her mom in her wallet.
- Team Mom: Taking care of the Sohmas (the ones in Shigure's house at least) is technically payment for living there, but it goes deeper than that.
- Tender Tears
- We Really Do Care
- What Would X Do?: She always quotes Kyoko.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A more child-like, clumsier version. All the politeness and domestic talent, and so much inner iron she overwhelms everyone she nicely confronts. Also good at cooking Japanese style dishes. In fact, she once had an Imagine Spot about being a Japanese princess.
Yuki Sohma (The Rat)
Kyo Sohma (The Cat)
- Abusive Parents: His father hates him, refers to him as "it", and claims his mother committed suicide from shame and disgust at having him. Very late in the manga, it is heavily implied that she did love him in her own way, and was actually Driven to Suicide by her husband.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: develops a habit of lightly tapping Tohru's head with his fist later on in the manga.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Despised by more than one member of the Sohma clan since he's the cat. Specially by Akito, and to a smaller degree Yuki.
- Berserk Button: Threaten Tohru and you will regret it.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Brooding Boy to Tohru's Gentle Girl.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Not really good about voicing his feelings on anything let alone romantic ones.
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted because he's mean outside, but isn't exactly evil.
- Also subverted in that as shown at the end of the manga, the spirit possessing him was a very kind cat, who loved God and only wanted his friend to live his next life surrounded by people.
- Chekhov's Gun: Beads? A "cursed form?" Well, this certainly won't show up in a few dozen chapters.
- Cute Kitten: He gets teased about this.
- Cute Little Fangs: Has them during some comedic moments
- Does Not Like Shoes: Goes barefoot at nearly every possible moment, even during a footrace!
- Does Not Like Spam: Much is made of Kyo's dislike of onions, leeks, and miso. It's occasionally used as blackmail to get him to do something. And when he willingly cooks with leeks to make something for Tohru when she's sick, it's one of the earliest indications of how dear she is to him.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He fears people getting close to him, since he has difficulty to know if they genuinely love him or just pity him for his curse.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Near the end of the manga, Tohru falls off a cliff. While she's lying on the ground unconscious, Kyo kisses her. To be fair, Tohru regained consciousness for a bit when she noticed Kyo was crying. She said some comforting words to him, then lost consciousness again, and then he kissed her. He also wasn't exactly sure whether she was fully conscious or not, as he even confirms that she wasn't after their second kiss when she acts completely shocked that it's their second and not their first.
- Fiery Redhead: Usually shouting, or breaking something.
- First Kiss
- First Name Basis: At the start of the manga, he called Tohru "you." After The Climax of volume six, he switches to "Tohru."
- Green-Eyed Monster: The first evidence of his attraction to Tohru.
- Grow Old with Me: With Tohru.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It's incredibly easy to set him off, even without the above Berserk Button.
- Happily Adopted: He has something of a Cuteness Proximity-style change to his personality when his foster father Kazuma is mentioned. His biological father registers somewhere near the Gendo end of the Sliding Scale of Bastard Fathers, so no wonder.
- Hellish Pupils
- Instant Bandages
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Aside from the 'cat if hugged' thing, he has a second one. Those beads? They keep him from transforming into a monstrous, car-sized, stinking monstrosity.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He IS a jerk, but a nice jerk (especially later on).
- Longing Look: Towards Tohru
- My Beloved Smother: His mom tended to keep him sheltered and away from other people. Implied later on to be his father's decree.
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: He constantly fights Yuki and loses.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: The Roguish Male to Yuki's Noble Male.
- No Social Skills: Because of his tremendous issues.
- Picky Eater: He hates leeks. A lot. Still made Tohru some leek soup when she was sick.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: To a naked Kagura, after she transforms back.
- Power Limiter: The beads. They also serve to block Power Incontinence.
- Sitting on the Roof: Shigure lampshades it. "Sulking on the roof is how he shows he cares." He also has a touching moment at that spot with Tohru where he talks about his adoptive father.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: With his cousin Kagura. Also with Tohru until the end.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside
- Sprouting Ears: Especially in the anime.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his father. Other than sharing the Sohma name, facial features and anger issues, there is no connection with Kyo and his father.
- Through His Stomach: Cooks for Tohru when she's ill — despite teasing.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Tsundere: Male version.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Subverted. He gives Tohru a harmless knock on the head as a 'Thank You' for easing him out of one of his moods Shigure put him in. However, he allows both Kagura and Uotani to assault him with no physical retaliation at all. He even worries that he roughed up a woman when he learns of Akito's true gender.
- In the manga, on his first day at Tohru's school, he slams a girl's head into her desk to discourage her attentions. Granted, it was a panic reaction when he was in danger of being embraced, but its being Played for Laughs is a little disconcerting.
Akito Sohma (God)
Voiced by: Wakaba Murasaki (JP), Chad Cline (EN)
The head of the Sohma family and God
of the Zodiac. Akito is arguably the Big Bad
of the series.
- 0% Approval Rating: Most other members of the Sohma clan can't stand her. Considering the fact that she's abused them all physically and verbally at least once, one can't really blame them.
- Abusive Parents: After her father died, Ren made her life miserable, raised her as a boy, and constantly pounded it into her that she was alone and no one would ever love her.
- All That Glitters: Akito was told that a small black box contained her father's soul. It didn't.
- Antagonistic Offspring: At on point, Akito tried to strangle his/her own mother.
- Attention Whore: A very creepy and self-destructive version. Not as much as Ren, though.
- Beautiful All Along: When dressed up in a female kimono, she's very beautiful. Lampshaded by Ritsu's comment when he gets to see dolled-up!Akito and is shocked by how gorgeous she looks.
- Berserk Button: If you're a Sohma, do NOT tell Akito you're leaving the family in ANY way.
- Whether you're an outsider or family member, don't get close to any of the Zodiac members. You will regret it.
- Bifauxnen: So much so that the revelation that Akito is not in fact male qualified as a Shocking Swerve.
- Big Bad: Essentially the main villain of the story. Although her mother might be willing to steal that title from her.
- Bokukko: Aside of being a Bifauxnen, she uses "boku" to refer to herself. She keeps doing so after her Heel-Face Turn.
- Break the Cutie: Attempts this on Kisa and Tohru. Has this inflicted on her as a little girl, via Ren.
- Break the Haughty: Oh, so much.
- Broken Bird: Manifested less as hypercompetency or great worldliness, but rather through wild mood swings, from crying at the fear of abandonment, to physically abusing family members, including blinding Hatori in one eye, pushing Rin out a window, repeatedly thrashing Kisa, and stabbing Kureno (one of her lovers). All of which springs from a really bad childhood with a loving Disappeared Dad who died when she was a little girl, a very cruel and arguably crazy Evil Matriarch of a mother, and being forcefully raised as a boy to avoid being seen as a threat by said mother, who poisoned her with hatred and insecurity.
- Chronic Villainy
- Crashing Dreams: Akito has a flashback dream where she asks Shigure if he loves her. After Shigure responds, gives her a flower and kisses her, he says her name, at which point so does Kureno, causing Akito to wake up in the car.
- Creepy Child: As a kid, she's seen painting her room black and claiming she hates everyone, after she snaps as a product of Ren's psychological abuse.
- Corporal Punishment: On top of being a Manipulative Bastard. Some examples are: slapping Kisa on-screen in the anime (and apparently beating her bloody in the manga), slapping Momiji (and apparently Shigure) at least once, beating Yuki and Kyo in the past, throwing ceramics at Yuki and Hatori's faces (Hatori is almost blind in one eye as a result), throwing Rin out a window and later forcibly cutting her long hair before locking her up in a dark room, stabbing Kureno etc.
- Does Not Like Men: Inverted; Akito hates women. Despite being one in the manga. Or, more than hating women as a whole, Akito hates those who try taking the Sohmas away (even if they're Sohmas themselves), due to Ren's abuse.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Tells that to Tohru in the middle of a Villainous Breakdown in the manga.
- Several desperate variations of this are scattered throughout the last third of the manga where it's revealed that Kureno's curse had already been broken a long time ago. Though it's not explicitly stated, a young Akito realizes that Kureno is looking at her differently after he is released with distant eyes - i.e. eyes that no longer understand the bond that Akito tried to hold onto so tightly and pity Akito for doing so. Akito cries for Kureno to stop looking at her like that and begs him to stay by her side. A similar instance occurs with Momiji. Really, anyone looking at her with 'those eyes' sets off this feeling in her, though she reacts in various ways - at the New Years Banquet during which Yuki tells Akito he's not going to blame Akito for anymore, Akito is reminded of Kureno's look and smashes what seems to be asmall sake bottle into his face.
- Easily Forgiven: The Sohma come to forgive, while Rin doesn't, and hates herself for it. This is because they were so over her by that point (especially with the power of Tohru's healing personality), that they didn't even hold a grudge against her (except Rin).
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Eye Scream: Performed on Hatori and very nearly on Yuki.
- Evil Plan: Originally it was to possess the Zodiac, then it became drive Tohru away and then possess the Zodiac.
- Fauxshadow: She does a Heel-Face Turn about 30 chapters later.
- Female Misogynist: Due to Ren's influence.
- Freudian Excuse: ...Except it really isn't an excuse. More like a "List of Grievances".
- Flower Motifs: Associated with red camellias (benitsubaki), which are a symbol of love in the language of flowers. This is also the kind of flower Shigure gave her when she was little and he confessed his love.
- Freak Out: Happens quite often.
- God in Human Form: Akito is the "God" of the Zodiac, who the other Zodiac members are psychically linked to.
- Heel-Face Turn: She eventually reforms in the manga, in part due to Tohru's kindness.
- Heel Realization
- Hikikomori: She was homeschooled during her high school years, due to her frail health.
- Ill Girl: More in the anime than the manga.
- The manga implies that Akito gets sick or at least pretends to get sick when she throws fits. After learning that Kureno freed Rin from captivity, for example, Akito refuses to eat because "her heart is in pain".
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Let Me at Him!: The older Sohma members have had to hold Akito back from continuing to beat other members of the family on numerous occasions.
- Limited Wardrobe: Almost always seen in a male kimono, but is seen in suits during functions out of the Sohma estate and a longsleeved turtleneck during the one instance at Tohru's high school. Towards the end of the manga, she wears a female kimono.
- MacGuffin: See the All That Glitters entry.
- Manipulative Bastard: Can keep the Sohma under a tight leash with mood swings and abuse.
- Mind Rape: Akito is both a perpetrator and a victim. Thank you, Ren.
- Mommy Issues: Oh boy, where to begin?
- Mood-Swinger: Can be calm one moment and having a screaming tantrum the next, though this is partly done on purpose in order to keep the members of the Zodiac in line.
- Never My Fault: She cannot fathom being to blame for anything. Have sex with Kureno, while most can see that Shigure clearly loves her and then kick said lover off the Sohma estate when they sleep with Ren, Akito's mother as Revenge? It's her Zodiac to do with as she pleases. Lock somebody in isolation when they try to steal a "special" box that Akito knows is clearly empty? It's perfectly justified to put somebody's life in danger and what on earth is Kureno thinking betraying Akito and freeing said person from harm? And then Hatsuharu calls her out for almost killing Isuzu twice because she hates women for no good reason. Akito counters with telling him that it was really his fault that she was put in danger at all because he dated Isuzu anyway knowing that Akito hated her. Surprisingly, Hatsuharu agrees that he is partially to blame for Isuzu's suffering. Justified, since it's difficult for members of the Zodiac to think badly of Akito due to her supernatural influence over them as their "God".
- A particularly vicious example can also be found when Akito attacks Hatori with what looks like a vase, blinding him in one eye, and immediately starts asking the maimed doctor "Hatori, what's wrong?" before accusing Kana, Hatori's innocent would-be fiancee, of being responsible for Hatori's pain. Kana ends up agreeing, and the whole situation goes downhill from there.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Though by the end of the manga it's revealed that there's not really a villain to begin with in the story (except maybe Ren), Akito fills this role because she is definitely seen as a villain to the younger Sohma family members for how she treats them and had she not said yes to the presence of Tohru in Shigure's household, the curse would never have been broken.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Despite being a Domestic Abuser towards the Zodiac members, Akito loves getting close to them, especially the boys and men.
- Please Don't Leave Me: This is said whenever a Zodiac member's curse is lifted. This is a result of her mother's abuse. When Kureno's curse is lifted, she went ballistic and started screaming hysterically. Momiji's curse breaking, however, is a little calmer and she asks him to stay with her and be taken care of by her. He didn't accept her offer, though.
- Psychotic Smirk
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: She has always known she's a girl and identifies as such too, but Ren demanded her to be raised as a guy before she was born because of her insane, petty jealousy, under the excuse that a "female leader" would make the Sohmas look bad.
- She's A Man In Anime: Because the anime stopped before Volume 17 was released, the animators made Akito biologically male. They make it very clear◊.
- Slasher Smile
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond
- Tsundere: She was in her way to become one, until Ren's abuse finally got to her head and she became a Yandere. Yuki recalls her yelling at him once, then stopping herself and gently picking up a bowl.
- The Reveal: Her real gender.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Everyone not in the know (except Uotani) reacts like this to The Reveal about Akito's gender and identification. Then there was the fanbase's reaction...
A good example is what happened to Tohru when she (and the fanbase) learned about it through Kureno. Apparently, she was so shocked that she stood in the snow for hours.
- Unstoppable Rage: Do NOT make Akito mad.
- Villainous Breakdown: An absolutely epic one.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Not by choice.
- What Have I Become?
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: From either Akito towards others, or from Ren towards Akito.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: A good part of Akito's Manipulative Bastard strategy
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Whether or not one can excuse his or her actions, Akito counts. Despite beating the living daylights out of several Zodiac members for the majority of their childhood(s) and emotionally abusing everyone, Tohru can't help but feel sorry for him or her. One, she learned just how badly Akito herself was emotionally abused, and how her upbringing influenced her outlook on life. The psychological abuse heaped onto her by her mother and Evil Matriarch extraordinaire, Ren, led to a pathological fear of abandonment, driving her to do anything to make sure no one will leave her. Being told that no one loves you, everyone will abandon you, and no one even respects you, and having your boyfriend sleep with Ren to spite you for sleeping with another man (which you partly did to get back at said boyfriend, and partly to stop said man from abandoning you) will do that to you.
- Yandere: Hoo boooooy...
- You Should Know This Already: ... Are we still supposed to not know that Akito is a girl and has always been a girl? It's one of the plot points Furuba is better known for at this rate.
Other Zodiac Members
Shigure Sohma (The Dog)
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Comedic moments aside, Shigure of the anime seems a lot more tortured in regards to involving Tohru with the Sohma family's affairs (going so far as to actually stop Akito from verbally abusing Tohru in the woods and subsequently begging her to go after Kyo for everyone's sake) than the absolutely unrepentant Shigure of the manga.
- Bishie Sparkle: When he sings about high school girls.
- Bishōnen: When he goes to Tohru's school, several of her classmates mention how good looking he is, and one of Mitsu's coworkers stated that she was attracted to his good looks as well.
- The Chessmaster: It's strongly implied that Shigure knew how to break the curse and started moving things into place once he found someone who could do it. He's not too proud of this, even though he did it to save them all and win Akito's love. Said manipulations included sleeping with Ren (who he said looked like what Akito raised as a girl would look like) and being deliberately distant with her.
- Actually, Shigure explicitly states in the manga that he mostly cares about getting Akito- the rest is a nice bonus, but it's not why he tries to break the curse.:
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Ephebophile: Flirts openly with high school aged Tohru when he first meets her, is eager to meet her friends before Kyou describes how...colorful they are, buys her a blatantly Fanservice-y Meido outfit for White Day hoping she'll clean his house in it, and goes to Tohru's high school under the pretense of retrieving her belongings when he was really going to check out the high school girls (sings a little song about it, too). Averted with Isuzu when she offers her body if he tells her how to break the curse, but in full force when played for laughs, namely when he laments that Hatori didn't tell him he was going to give her a check up.
- Friends with Benefits: With Mayu, though it was a mutual arrangement from the start — Shigure said "You're lonely, I'm bored — let's date". It was never a genuine romantic relationship, they were aware of it, and in the end Mayu broke it off because she just couldn't keep pretending it was.
- The Gadfly: Sometimes a means to an end, other times just for fun.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He sleeps with Ren to retaliate against Akito for sleeping with Kureno. He and Akito were not in a romantic relationship at the time.
- Harem Nanny: Takes care of Yuki, followed by Tohru and Kyo.
- I Banged Your Mom: To Akito. Akito was not amused.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At the start of the series, when Shigure and Yuki discover Tohru camping in the wilderness behind their home, Shigure reacts by pointing and laughing uproariously. He quickly becomes protective of Tohru, to the point where Hanajima and Uotani liken him to a grandfather spoiling his granddaughter. Shigure also happens to push his editor's buttons to the point where she's about a hair away from committing suicide, but he never does so out of maliciousness, he just likes pushing other people's buttons.
- Karma Houdini: Arguably, his manipulations and mind screws (especially in regards to Akito, the girl he loves and yet still manipulates) never got him in real trouble.
- Manipulative Bastard: In the manga, especially towards Rin and Akito. To his credit, he didn't take Rin's offer, but he still manipulated Akito.
- Shigure himself lampshades this, alling himself 'the dirtiest one of all,' because he is willing to use everyone to achieve his goals.
- It may take more than one read-through to realize it, but almost everything Shigure does, from asking Akito to allow Tohru to live in his home to being decidedly 'cruel' towards Akito to telling Tohru to leave the house for an errand at exactly the same time Kureno would be out on the street waiting for her is actually completely planned. Seriously.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Sometimes, when conversations turn serious, he turns to this so he can keep up the facade that he knows more than he lets on. When he's not doing this, he's probably manipulating you.
- Papa Wolf: Shigure dotes on Tohru quite a bit, although whether or not it's for his own personal gain is another matter. It's a little more obvious in the anime, where he actually tells Akito to leave Tohru alone by the end and actually gets up to stop Akito from ripping Tohru's hair out.
- Parental Substitute: Sorta, as Yuki's caretaker. Also present, to some extent, in his relationship with Tohru.
- Completely averted in regards to Akito. When being questioned by Hatori and Kureno as to why Shigure's so cruel to Akito in the last parts of the manga, Shigure's response is that there are enough people being so 'gentle' with her and that he doesn't want to become yet another one of Akito's replacements for her "father".
- The Plan: The driving plot of the manga is Shigure trying to use Tohru to break Akito's ties with the zodiac so he can have her to himself.
- Romance Genre Heroes: Of The Charmer variety. He's a bit of a subversion in that while he is quick to claim and project the air of the charmer, he's downright cruel in the way he manipulates and emotionally abuses the one he actually loves and the others around her to get what he wants.
- Shipper on Deck: He was a real jerk about it, but it's his actions that ultimately lead to Mayuko and Hatori dating.
- Smoking Is Cool
- True Companions: The Mabudachi Trio (with Hatori and Ayame)
- Unflappable Guardian: One that uses Obfuscating Stupidity to his advantage.
- Urban Legend Love Life: The only proof this might hold some water is Mayu-Sensei.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: And then Kureno slept with Akito.
- Your Cheating Heart: Turns out he once slept with Akito's mother, Ren. He claims this was only because she slept with Kureno (and because Ren looked like Akito would've looked like, had she been raised as a woman). Akito got so upset about this that she immediately kicked him out of the main Sohma estate.
Kagura Sohma (The Boar)
- Childhood Friend Romance: She wants this with Kyo.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Kagura forces Kyo to promise to marry her. She eventually stops holding him to it.
- Cool Big Sis: Was described as one by Natsuki Takaya herself.
- Constantly Curious: In the Back Story, during her first meeting with Kyo.
- The Cutie
- Dogged Nice Girl: She kept forcing herself on Kyo, even though he clearly doesn't like her and is terrified of her.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: After being rejected by Kyo definitely, when her mom asks her what's wrong, she says she's just realized how self-centered she was and rejects her pity.
- Full Boar Action: as the boar of the Zodiac. In the beginning she is quite aggressive as well.
- Genki Girl: Extremely energetic about her feelings for Kyo.
- The Glomp: To Kyo
- Gray Eyes: In the anime.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Tohru
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Love Redeems: Subverted; she tries to invoke this, but realizes in due course that it was as selfish as the behavior she was trying to redeem herself from.
- No Sense of Personal Space
- Older Than She Looks: She's a 20-year-old college student, and she both looks and acts like a high schooler.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Knows martial arts and has violent outbursts, but has a very girly sense of style.
- Tsundere: Type B. She's uber sweet around her friends and family, but very aggressive when around Kyo.
- Yandere: She's a bit, ahem, violent when she's around Kyo. She eventually learns to tone it down a lot.
Momiji Sohma (The Rabbit)
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Bishōnen: Once he has a growth spurt in the manga.
- Brown Eyes: Though he was shown with blue eyes in a cover illustration.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half Japanese, half German.
- Cuddle Bug: Loves hugging people, especially Tohru, even though it means he'll transform.
- Dramatic Irony: His mother had her memory of him erased and only knows him as a random Sohma child, and his little sister Momo doesn't know he exists, but his mother expresses concern that "his mother" will worry, and his sister asks to act as her big brother.
- Gratuitous German: Moreso in the manga.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Nice, affectionate, helpful, a great kid.
- He Is All Grown Up: Later in the manga.
- Hollywood Genetics: Blonde German mother plus dark-haired Japanese father equals blonde son, apparently. Same for his sister Momo.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Towards Tohru, in the manga.
- Older Than He Looks: Looks and acts like a child, but is actually around Tohru's age.
- Also displays seriousness at some points in the manga, which is usually quickly followed with childish antics. It's implied that he's more mature than he looks, and puts on a cheerful, childish facade.
- Parental Abandonment
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Says something like this when Akito asks him to stay and be taken care of by her once his curse lifts. Akito doesn't take this well.
- Stepford Smiler: His mother's reaction to his cursed form hurt him terribly, but he pretends it doesn't bother him.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Sometimes dresses up in female clothes.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rare male example due to cross-dressing.
Hatori Sohma (The Dragon)
- The Atoner: Shigure's discussions with Hatori indicate that Hatori feels very guilty about his role in the family as the memory-wiper, especially as the one who had to erase the memories of all of Yuki's friends when they were younger.
- Berserk Button: A more emotionally subdued version but he's very self-conscious about his zodiac form.
- Bilingual Bonus: Hatori turns into a seahorse instead of a dragon. A Japanese word for seahorse is 竜の落し子 (tatsu no otoshigo), which translates to "dragon's baby."
- Bishōnen: Similar to the other members of the Zodiac and the Sohma in general. Kakeru asks if there's something he eats to be so good looking.
- Brainy Brunette
- Brown Eyes
- Curtains Match the Window
- Deadpan Snarker: To balance out the over-the-top Ayame and Shigure.
- Eye Scream: Akito nearly blinds him in one eye after he says he wishes to marry Kana.
- Hospital Hottie: He's the family doctor.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Well, yes and no. He actually transforms into a seahorse.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Toward Kana.
- Not So Above It All: Has a few of moments of not being completely mature and poised. He tricked Yuki and Kyo into taking a photo of them seemingly smiling together only to playfully give the camera to Tohru by putting on her head. He gave Shigure more injections than necessary because the latter was being annoying. He also threatened to tell Shigure's colleagues every embarrassing story he knew about him since he was four if he told Tohru the secret of his zodiac form.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to his best friends Shigure and Ayame.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Over the hurt eye.
- Secret Relationship: With Kana, until he tells Akito about it. Akito does not respond well.
- Second Love: With Mayuko.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: At a few key points. He cried the first time Kana told him she loved him.
- True Companions: The Mabudachi Trio (with Shigure and Ayame)
Hatsuharu Sohma (The Ox)
Ayame Sohma (The Snake)
- Aloof Big Brother: In the Back Story. By the time the series starts, he's gotten over it.
- The Atoner: Feels guilty for his treatment of Yuki when they were kids, and for how he treated a girl who loved him when he was in school.
- Big Brother Instinct: Eventually develops this towards Yuki in an attempt to make up for his mistreatment of his brother during their younger days.
- Bishōnen: Considering he's Yuki's brother...
- Camp Straight: Or possibly Camp Bi the Way.
- Played straight when he confesses his feelings for Mine.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Much more than Shigure. He always makes perverted comments towards Tohru, which always make Yuki and Kyo mad.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: It's the long hair and his effeminate behavior.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Ayame" is usually a girl's name.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Played for laughs with Shigure as a long-running joke between them.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- It's All About Me: Played for Laughs a lot, but it's also a genuine character flaw that has caused him to be callous to Yuki and others. When he finds out a girl he had been cluelessly cruel to in high-school is in town, he's all in a tizzy to comfort her, thinking she must have been broken and mooning over him all these years. Then he finds out she'd simply moved on and is Happily Married.
- Large Ham: It's refered to as "steamrolling people with his personality."
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Mundane Made Awesome: Ayame eats his soba, with great confidence.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Justified when he's in snake form, as he's extremely susceptible to the cold and needs to rely on another person's body heat. Not that this explains him from getting into bed with Kyo (fully clothed) in the middle of the night and snuggling close.
- Rapunzel Hair: Down to his back.
- Shipper on Deck: Seems to support Yuki/Tohru and Kyo/Kagura judging by how he wants to embroider "I live for Kagura" on Kyo's clothing and "I live for Yuki" on Tohru's clothing.
- True Companions: The Mabudachi Trio (with Shigure and Hatori)
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With Yuki. This page probably demonstrates it best.
Kisa Sohma (The Tiger)
Hiro Sohma (The Sheep)
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Big Brother Instinct: Invoked in the manga after the birth of his younger sister, Hinata. Present to an extent in his desire to protect Kisa and Rin, although he's younger than both of them.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Brooding Boy to Kisa's Gentle Girl.
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Failure Knight: Thinks he failed to protect Kisa from Akito's fury and that's why she was hurt; he fears staying close to Kisa will draw Akito's wrath to her again. Later, he blames himself for not being able to aid Rin, having witnessed how Akito threw her off a window and being paralyzed at that.
- Good Parents: Notable in that it is almost unheard of in this series. Unlike most of the Zodiac, Hiro has kind parents who love him just as he is.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Lashes out against Tohru for her close friendship with Kisa that comforted Kisa when he couldn't. Realizes this was a dumb move when Kisa warns him to back off.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hypocritical Humor: "I can't stand people who complain all the time."
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Jerkass Façade
- Momma's Boy
- Mouthy Kid
- Only Child Syndrome: At first.
- Pet the Dog: His real love and concern for Kisa and Rin soften his Jerkass Façade considerably.
- Puppy Love: With Kisa.
- Secret Keeper: For most of the manga, the truth about Rin's injuries. It weighs heavily on him. And he breaks down in tears when he can't hold back anymore and explains the truth to Haru.
- Somebody Doesn't Love Raymond: One of the few people not immediately charmed by Tohru, he at first actively baits her. See Green-Eyed Monster.
- Straight Man: Becomes this a few times in the Beach arc after he decides to cool his hostility towards Tohru compared to Cloud Cuckoo Lander Tohru and occasionally Kisa.
- Too Clever by Half: Very smart for his age and knows it. This usually doesn't keep his mouth from getting him in trouble or give him the emotional maturity to handle difficult situations.
- Tsundere: To Kisa. Eventually acts this way to a degree with Tohru as well; while Hiro is never as effusively affectionate toward Tohru as most of the other cursed Sohmas, he does show genuine concern for her and her well-being.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: His mother is a dangerous mix of Cute Clumsy Girl and The Ditz, which sometimes makes him panic.
Ritsu Sohma (The Monkey)
Isuzu "Rin" Sohma (The Horse)
- Abusive Parents: Mom and Dad pretended to love her, until she noticed their love was fake. They became horribly abusive afterwards, until Kagura and her parents found out and took Rin into their custody; she was so badly damaged, though, that she simply couldn't bond with them despite their good intentions.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Bad Dreams
- Broken Bird: Her Abusive Parents damaged her so badly that she finds it incredibly difficult to open up and bond with people.
- Destination Defenestration: When Akito confronts her in regards to her and Haru, Rin says she's the one who started their relationship. An enraged Akito throws her out the second floor window. She survives, but is seriously injured.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: When she meets Tohru and is awed by her kindness and warmth, Isuzu hates herself for wanting to confide in her and cry on her shoulder.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Dresses like that sometimes.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Tohru's reaction after seeing her naked (post-transformation).
- Hime Cut: Fits her Elegant Gothic Lolita theme.
- Ill Girl: Her traumatic past cause her health problems more than once. Specifically, she has stomach ulcerae and often is bed-ridden due to them.
- She also has a few psychological problems, indicated by her hallucinating that Tohru is her mother whom she is begging not to be angry with her.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting
- Ms. Fanservice: By Word of God, "she's the character in charge of sexiness." Thankfully, she has enough of a complex personality that this isn't all there is to her.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: In-series she's called more often by her nickname "Rin" than by her given name "Isuzu". Her nickname is tied to her real name in two ways; "Rin" is an alternate reading of the second kanji of "Isuzu" (鈴) and the kanji in question means "bell", while "rin" would refer to a bell's "ring".
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: She offers herself to Shigure to get him to tell her how to break the curse. Thankfully, Shigure declines.
- Rapunzel Hair: Until Akito crudely cuts it off as "punishment."
- Scars Are Forever: Has heavy scars on her back, thanks to her evil parents.
- Screw Destiny: She actively tries to break the curse.
- Traumatic Haircut: Courtesy of Akito, as punishment for following Akito's evil mother, Ren's, orders.
- Tsundere: Towards Tohru, after they become friends and towards Hatsuharu after she breaks up with him.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Delivers a shockingly direct one to Kagura, after the latter slaps Tohru across the face and yells at her that she needs to confess her feelings properly to Kyo. Despite all of Rin's aloof behavior towards Tohru, she flips her shit, physically grabs Kagura, and screams in her face that she has no right to raise a hand to Tohru. God only knows what she might have done if Kagura hadn't been shocked into realizing she'd crossed the line and given Rin a Cooldown Hug and a sincere "I'm sorry".
Kureno Sohma (The Rooster)
- The Atoner: As a teen, Kazuma treated the former Cat (his grandfather) quite badly. Upon meeting the new Cat, Kyo, he takes him in, having never been able to forgive himself for that.
- Bishōnen: And he's 39.
- Important Haircut
- Lethal Chef: He can't even prepare decent tea.
- Older Than He Looks: He's 39 during his first appearance in Volume 6. At the end of the series, he should be about 41. You wouldn't guess any of this just by looking at him. Even Takaya admits she draws him very young looking.
- Papa Wolf: He will not allow anyone to mistreat Kyo. He even calls out Kyo's biological father when the man tries to enlist Kazuma's support in locking Kyo up once he's out of school.
- Parental Substitute: To Rin and Kyo.
- Abusive Parents: She raised Akito as a man and constantly told her that she was worthless and no one would ever love her.
- Bigger Bad: She's more or less responsible for shaping Akito's personality.
- Child Hater: She once said that she hated how the then-tiny Ayame, Hatori, Kureno and Shigure swarmed to her and cried. She didn't know it, but their tears were because they sensed she was pregnant with Akito, the future God of the Zodiac. She also notes that she has always hated Rin, and Akito remembers her as a cold mother.
- Dramatic Irony: The reason Akira loved Akito so much was because he believed her being the God of the Zodiac was a sign that his love with her was special.
- Evil Is Petty: She more or less singlehandledly screws up the family by abusing the head of the Sohmas to insanity, all because she was jealous that her husband would love their child more than her. At one point, she tries to kill Akito over a box, which she believes holds some treasure left behind by her husband. The reveal that the box was empty just emphasized how obsessively twisted Ren was.
- Evil Matriarch: Ooooh, boy...
- Female Misogynist: She had Akito raised as a boy under the excuse that the Sohma family having a female head would look bad, but it was really because of her petty jealousy over Akira and Akito's close relationship. Her misogynist tendencies eventually rubbed off on Akito.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: When discussing making Akito the head of the family, Ren outright referred to her as "that."
- Jerkass Has a Point: Ren notes that the outside world will ultimately prove too attractive an alternative to Akito's presence for the Zodiac.
- Love Makes You Evil: Ren originally worked as a maid in the Sohma state, then she was the first person who took care of Ill Boy Akira and reached out to him. Her Face-Heel Turn came when she got pregnant and became obsessed with the idea that Akira would care more for their then-unborn child than for her... and you know what came next.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Meddling Parents: To some degree. She doesn't believe in the bond but she doesn't do anything about it except trying to use it against Akito.
- Nervous Wreck: She suffers much more than Akito. She initially wanted to abort Akito because of her fear of losing her husband's love to their daughter. When Akira passed away, though, she turned into an Abusive Parent and got worse from there.
- Smug Snake: Beautiful, evil, sly, manipulative, and not just despicable, but in the end, very incompetent. She has to manipulate her desperate niece Rin to get her late husband Akira's box (Rin then fails and is horrifyingly "punished" by Akito), is humiliated by Shigure when he tells her he only had sex with her because she looks like an older Akito, and once her plans crumble she's left as an Empty Shell of her former self.
- Yandere: Even more than Akito!
- Bishōnen: He had an "unearthly beauty", according to people.
- Doting Parent: He adored his child Akito, because he believed her being the God of the Zodiac proved that his love with his beloved wife Ren was special.
- Ill Boy
- Lonely Rich Kid: As head of the Sohma family, people can seldom approach him. Not helped by his horrible health.
- Your Days Are Numbered: He was terminally ill for a very long time.
Hiro Sohma's mother, she makes relatively few appearances late in the manga. Gives birth in the manga to a non-Zodiac daughter, Hinata, making Hiro a big brother.
Voiced by: Junko Yamamoto (JP), Julie Mayfield (EN)
Ritsu's mother, and the manager of a hot springs owned by the clan.
Voiced by: Yuka Imai
(JP), Parisa Fakhri (EN)
- Affectionate Nickname: Tohru calls her "Uo-chan".
- Cool Big Sis: After lecturing to three middle school aged yankii wannabes, they start respecting her and one starts calling her Oneesama.
- Freudian Excuse: Her parents divorced when she was little, her mother walked out on her with her new boyfriend and her father spent most of his time drinking. The absence of her parents' love resulted in her joining a gang.
- Grumpy Bear: Until befriending Kyoko and Tohru she was grumpy and violent.
- Japanese Delinquents: See Grumpy Bear. Even now, she still carries a metal pipe and wears a long skirt as part of her school uniform.
- The Lad-ette
- May-December Romance: Is paired with Kureno Sohma, who is nine years her senior, at the end of the series.
- New Job Episode: Does various part time jobs.
- Parental Abandonment: When she was very young, her mother left her and her father to marry another man.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She and Kureno fell in love with each other over the course of two meetings. However, due to Kureno's obligation to Akito he decided to never see her again even after learning that she wanted to. They are reunited at the end of the series.
- Volleying Insults: With Kyo.
- Affectionate Nickname: Tohru calls her "Hana-chan".
- All of the Other Reindeer: Her infamy first brought her bullying at first, then almost complete isolation... until Tohru and Arisa break through her defenses.
- Book Dumb: She's not really, but she fails her tests because the make-up ones are easier.
- Childhood Friend Romance: If her feelings for Tohru are romantic after all.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Expressive Hair
- Good Parents: Her parents and grandmother are endlessly loving and supportive of her, especially when she was being bullied and ostracized. They also aren't too bothered by her powers. Her little brother Megumi takes after them and is pretty protective of her sometimes.
- Invisible to Normals: Hanajima's denpa waves.
- May-December Romance: It's hinted that she and Kazuma, Kyo's adoptive father, start dating at the end of the series.
- Psychic Powers: She reads auras and can potentially kill with her "denpa waves". That almost happened in her backstory, where she loses it after being brutally bullied by a boy and wishing for his death... then her powers go haywire and he almost dies.
- The Stoic: Always monotone, rarely emotional.
- When She Smiles
- Big Sister Worship: He's especially doting to Hana.
- Creepy Child: Genre Savvy enough to deliberately exploit it.
- I Know Your True Name: According to him.
- Likes Older Women: He's pretty subtle about it, but he mentions once how "interesting" it is for him to be the only boy amongst three women (Saki, Tohru, and Arisa). Then there was his forward comment about visiting Arisa at work to see her in a miniskirt...
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks like a younger, male version of Hana. However, he and his sister deny it.
- When He Smiles: Like his older sister, he has a charming smile, but he hides it.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Upon hearing the plan of the Prince Yuki Fan Club girls, he gives them a speech about how they're being selfish by forcing their one-sided affections on Yuki and that he would come to hate them for driving away the people he allows into his life. His words even reach Saki, who had been suffering from her own mild jealousy of Tohru's friendship with the Sohma family.
- When he was even younger, he provided his older sister with comforting words.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Tohru quotes Kyoko's words quite a few times in the manga; also Kyoko helping Kyo and Arisa in the flashbacks.
- Subverted in regards to Tohru's feelings for her father, as she has few memories of him and after Katsuya died, Kyoko became catatonic with grief to the point of ignoring Tohru. A young Tohru believed back then that in a way, Kyoko's grief meant that her father was taking her mother away also. Years later, the thought still haunts her because she knows Katsuya was a good person and Tohru can't believe she ever thought that way to begin with. It's also the reason why she adopted what few of his speech patterns she could remember - she was trying to remind Kyoko of Katsuya.
- May-December Romance: They had an eight-year age difference with Katsuya being 21 and Kyoko being 13, and they still fell in love.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Katsuya was a student teacher when he met Kyoko, but he still qualifies.
- Posthumous Character
Kyoko Honda, née Katsunuma
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: She gave birth to Tohru when she was in her late teens.
- Adult Fear: A flashback reveals a pregnant Kyoko terrified that her relationship with Tohru would go the way of hers with her own mother.
- Also, when little Tohru got lost, Kyouko went ballistic on the police because it was very hard to find her.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Inverted — Katsuya makes fun of Kyoko because she doesn't have eyebrows. "Miss No-eyebrows" becomes his Affectionate Nickname for her.
- Broken Bird: Until Katsuya offers her a helping hand.
- Broken Pedestal: Arisa was not happy to discover that the "Red Butterfly" she'd admired had turned into a Doting Mother. However, after she slowly warmed up to her and when she helped Arisa quit her gang, she admired her again.
- Delinquents: In her teenage years.
- Fiery Redhead: More evident in her youth.
- Former Teen Rebel
- Grumpy Bear: For a while.
- Happily Failed Suicide: After Katsuya dies and the rest of her family abandons her, she decides to throw herself into the sea. Hearing a mother and child talking reminds her of Tohru and snaps her back from the brink, and after that she vows never to abandon Tohru again, considering the attempted suicide her greatest failure.
- Love Redeems: Thanks to Katsuya, she became such a loving person.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: She tries to leave the gang she was a part of and clean up her act; as a result, said gang puts her in the hospital, and when she gets out, she loses her chance of getting into high school and is disowned by her Abusive Parents.
- Open-Minded Parent
- Parental Neglect: Kyoko's Freudian Excuse when she was young, since the Katsunumas emotionally ignored her and were only worried about her giving them a bad rep.
- When Katsuya died, Kyoko had an emotional breakdown and started neglecting Tohru for a while. Thankfully, she snapped out of it before any lasting harm could be done, but she regards it as My Greatest Failure.
- Red Baron: Was known as "The Red Butterfly" during her delinquent days, since the image of the red taillight on her bicycle was said to resemble a flitting butterfly as she rode it.
- Team Mom: Where Tohru got it from.
- Teen Pregnancy: She was around 16 when she gave birth to Tohru.
- We Have No Daughter: Her father says this to her face when Kazuma asks them if he has their permission to marry her. Kazuya then takes Kyoko in, and they're soon married.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: After marrying Katsuya, she is happy to be a loving mother and House Wife and finally experience living in a happy family... and then, in Uotani's backstory, we see that she beats the tar out of a group of delinquents to save Arisa. In Yuki's flashback to when little Tohru went missing, we also see her threaten to "rain death upon [the police's] miserable souls" if they don't find her baby. That's the kind of inner iron that separates the pushover Extreme Doormat House Wife from Yamato Nadeshiko.
The Student Council
- Adorkable: The initial stages of Machi's attempt to communicate with Yuki normally definitely qualify.
- Birds of a Feather: With Yuki, due to their Abusive Parents and being pushed towards perfection.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: To Yuki.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: All Machi wanted to do was make sure her baby brother stayed warm while he slept. Her parents came in and assumed she was trying to smother him with a blanket.
- Parental Neglect: Both Machi and Kakeru were forced by their parents into a bitter inheritance rivalry, the result being that she became quiet, removed from society, and despised anything she considered "perfect." Her mother then openly tells a friend that Machi is "dull" and that she prefers her new baby boy. Oh, and Machi is forced to live by herself, because her parents think she'll try to murder her little brother. Even though she was putting a blanket on him while he slept.
- Satellite Love Interest: Seriously, what does she do other than be Yuki's girlfriend?
- Shrinking Violet
- Sibling Yin-Yang" With Kakeru, even though they are only half siblings.
- The Unfavourite
- Tsundere: A very mild shade of this - she chases Yuki all around the school one day just because she saw him. Why? Just to say hi, damnit!
Prince Yuki's Fanclub (Minami Kinoshita, Mio Yamagichi, Mai Gotou and Rika Aida, with Motoko Minagawa as Alpha Bitch)
- Beta Bitch: Minami.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: If you're a girl and you're anywhere near Yuki, then be ready to be jumped by these girls.
- Didn't Think This Through: When Motoko is about to graduate, her second-in-command is all set to take over leadership of the fanclub next year. The author notes in an aside that she still hasn't realized Yuki's going to be gone, too.
- Girl Posse
- Harmless Villain: They constantly plot against Tohru, but they're never really able to carry out any of their harassment, since they're terrified of Arisa and Saki. They also try it on Kimi but she just blows them off. Machi has a little more trouble with them until Kakeru and Yuki intervene.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Their attitude towards whoever they perceive as a threat to Yuki: Tohru and later Kimi, specifically.
- Romantic Runner-Up: All of them, for Yuki.
- Stalker with a Crush: Definitely.
- Unwanted Harem
Mine Kuramae (Ayame's assistant)
Mayuko "Mayu-chan-sensei" Shiraki
Mitsuru aka Mit-chan
Tohru's paternal grandfather
Voiced by: Hiroshi Masuoka (JP), Brice Armstrong (EN)
- Cloudcuckoolander: Like his granddaughter.
- Love Redeems: When his son was alive, their relationship suffered from a strain. When his wife passed away, he changed and became the kind-hearted man Tohru knew.
- Miniature Senior Citizens
- Nice Guy: He was the only person in the Honda family who didn't ostracize Kyoko, and later he remains kind to Tohru even when all of her other relatives treat her like shit.
- No Name Given
- Grandpapa Wolf: Do not make any crude comments about his granddaughter. Even if you're family, he will hit you.
- Your Favorite: The food which he brings to Kyoko's grave.
Other character tropes