Fanfic Recs: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Frankie Rules by Tall T
Frankie Rules by Tall T
- Recommended by Andyroid
- Pairings: Mac/Goo
- Synopsis: Following the passing of her grandmother, Frankie Foster adjusts to life as the new proprietor of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. She's got a lot on her plate, including paperwork, Goo and Mac as a couple, and some annoyingly familiar faces...
- Comments: A fine blend of funny and touching that also works as a Fix Fic for some of the less-than-popular episodes of Foster's (like "The Little Peas" and "Everyone Knows It's Bendy").
- Recommended by Ninkobra
- Sypnosis: Mac has a secret to hide, related to his strange bruises all over his body. When Frankie decides to find out the truth, drama ensues and she discovers new-found (non-romantic) feelings for the little guy. Comes as a double feature with "Falling Apart", where things get even worse for Mac as his mother dies in a car crash and he is forced apart from Frankie who wants to adopt him.
- Comments: Playing with the show's idea of adopting friends, these stories are incredibly well done and heartfelt. It has several unexpected "F" bombs, yet it doesn't come across as gratuitous. It does have a small melodramatic undertone, but overall they are a worthwhile read for any Foster's fan. Also, while its basis is on the show's canon, it quickly deviates as you can see by the preview. As an added bonus, these stories are the basis of a series of over 70 consistently humorous one-shots.
- Interestingly this series has a bit of Fridge Brilliance to what happens after the events of "Falling Apart"; the fan base has agreed that Frankie is Mac's Parental Substitute so it's logical and sweet that Frankie becomes his legal guardian. And one of the one-shots set when Mac and Goo are teenagers shows that Mac occasionally calls Frankie "mom" due to the change in their relationship...and it doesn't hurt that Frankie's daughter calls Mac her brother.
- Recommended by Magnus Force
- Synopsis: When Mac accidentally runs into a stranger one day, he receives a blast from the past, plunging him, Frankie, Bloo and the others into a chaotic adventure of revenge and eventual redemption.
- Comments: A sequel to More Than My Friend and Falling Apart with dual authorship note . Utterly heartwrenching with quite a bit of Angst.