Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Exalted
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress
: Fanfic Recommendations
is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropriate category, and to format it according to the template.
Authors, and Websites
The Freedom Stone Forums
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Astra Kiseki
- Pairings: Yes.
- Comments: Originally the forum for an Exalted webcomic, the Freedom Stone ended up a hub for various fan fiction and fan art for Exalted. It has a NSFW forum exclusively for pornographic works, a very small kink meme, and a cluster of skilled authors, some who do short drabbles, some who do novel length epics, and some in between. Unfortunately, it's mostly dead at this point.
by Lydia Laurenson (a.k.a. Shataina) (warning: it gets fairly brutal in parts, and there is one scene of implied rape)
Fate and the Iron Tiger
- Recommended by Mike
- Synopsis: Shataina's Story begins as a story about the mortal Dynast Mnemon Lin Shataina, who Exalts as a Zenith-caste Solar during the middle of a major Dynastic party and flees to the South. It then follows her as she gathers followers and works to overthrow a corrupt kingdom.
- Comments: Well, for starters, it's long — about 290 double spaced pages, according to the author. It is a continuation of the author's senior thesis (the "prelude" section is simply a slightly updated version), and the other parts of the thesis can be found on the main website. It also happens to be a Dead Fic, as Lydia has moved on to writing for White Wolf as an intern, and doesn't have time to update anymore. It is written with good attention to detail, and begins as an interesting look at the reactions of a Dynast who has suddenly become Anathema. Although the main character is something of a self-insert (and really, looking at the name and the author's online handle, that should be obvious), she never wanders over to Mary Sue land. Well, no more than is implied by the rules of the setting. Shataina's Story is a novelization of the events of a game of Exalted, and therefore there are a few things that don't quite make sense in character (as Lydia was influenced by out-of-game things when playing Shataina).
by Dr. Bender.
St. Cyntherea's Institute
- Recommended by Senevri, Unhappy and Grant MK 2
- Synopsis: A heroic mortal comes into possession of a Jade Daiklave, and pretends to be Dragonblooded. Caught between two Supernatural martial arts schools and the machinations of the Sidereal, hijinks ensue.
- Comments: Ignore the whole TG aspect, which is mostly background noise thus far, this is better than either of the two official Exalted novels I've read, unfortunately it's only the first chapter.
- It's only one chapter, but it's still over 40,000 words.
- Not anymore. Now there is a second chapter. So there is much rejoicing.
- A somewhat regular update schedule has apparently reared its head, along with a proper title page, as there are now five chapters!
- This one is a difficult one for me. It certainly has some interesting twists and the quality of the writing is better than average, but it feels like transforming men into women has become the main point of the story. Gender bending that could have been an excellent way of throwing new light on relationships and questioning gender seems just to be done for the sake of doing so. So recommended, but hesitantly and with concerns for whether this might start to overwhelm the general plot.
- The fic seems to have entered the author's magical realm, and lost its original draw of cunning hijinks.
- Recommended by Peteman
- Synopsis: A series of short stories depicting the Yozis as mentally unstable children in the real world. It can get into some creepy territory, particularly with the Ebon Dragon's child avatar.
Keychain of Creation
- Recommended by Ormembar Senevri
- Synopsis: Sesus Ulyssian is the first mortal student to ever step between the gates of the Imperial Naval Academy. This story chronicles his desperate struggle to measure up to his Exalted peers, dodge reprisal from the Immaculate Order, and prove that a mere human can make a difference in the face of an uncaring and oppressive society.
- It also has its own page. The story is currently ongoing and told in quest format, so if you want to participate, go here.
- Unfortunately, the author has lost interest and is writing other quests now.
by Padraig O Ruanai
Of the Time Before
A Green Sun Illuminates The Void
- Recommended by Exploding Frogs
- Synopsis: A crossover with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, told in the style of the Legend of the Titans from the Ink Monkeys articles. No one from Exalted is directly named, but it's very clear who is who if you're familiar with the series. Of the creation of the Divine sisters and their peers, and of Equestria and of the Elements of Harmony.
- Pairing(s): Luna/OC is hinted at, but never confirmed.
- Comments: Truly magnificent, and somehow manages to be Original Flavor for both canons. You will honestly believe, after having read this, that the ponies might really have had their origins in Creation. There are a few spelling and grammar errors here and there, but they don't detract that much from the story, at least not to the point of throwing one entirely out of it.
by Earth Scorpion
Glorious Shotgun Princess
- Recommended by Reyemile II, Senevri
- Synopsis: A crossover with The Familiar of Zero. Louise's failure to summon a familiar earns her an Infernal Exaltation—and with it great power, uncanny insight, and a perverted demon in her head that just won't shut up.
- Comments: Immaculately written, well plotted, and demonstrating an expert understanding of both source materials. Worth reading even if you're not familiar with either series.
- It has its own trope page!
by Gregg Landsman
Cast in Gold
- Recommended By Fenix, Gamerex27, Andyroid, Peteman
- Synopsis: The Exaltation of the Unconquered Sun is a tricky thing. Especially when it doesn't come with a manual. Jane Shepard, who was able to talk Spectres into suicide before getting a spiritual superweapon grafted to her soul, has a new advantage. Crossover with Mass Effect.
- Comments: It's written by the same author who wrote Nobody Dies. Notable moments include Shepard literally punching the Kepral's Syndrome out of Thane.
- I second this fic. Before I read it, I had no idea what Exalted was, nor did I have any desire to play it or any other tabletop Role Playing Games. Now, I have a strong urge to do so. The purpose of the Exalted blends seamlessly with facing the threat of the Reapers. Even more remarkable is the fact that, even with all the added powers, Shepard still comes off as a realistic character with minimal Sue-ish qualities.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by The Road, Aegeus
- Synopsis: In which the Unconquered Sun Exalts one Ikari Shinji as a Zenith Caste, and the plot shoots off the Evangelion rails shortly thereafter. Or, if you prefer the author's own words: "What makes a hero? A Cause? Survival? Power? Maybe all of the above."
- Comments: Well written, but not flawless. Commendable for taking certain characters in directions that are simultaneously logical from a character development viewpoint, and also almost unprecedented in the realm of Evangelion fanfiction (or at least, what Evangelion fanfiction I've read).
- What's interesting about this fic is that it uses all the bits of Exalted power that don't get as much attention. Shinji's Solar Hero Style isn't that useful against the Angels, but he gets to show off Solar Medicine, Solar Bureaucracy, and even Solar Cooking. His powers affect every aspect of this story in some way.