Webcomic / Chorus Of The Neverborn
Chorus of the Neverborn
is a webcomic
set in the world of Exalted
. Focusing on the city of Nexus and a family with two Deathknight parents, and their Half-Caste children and the situations they encounter. Some of the family are on the side of good
... well, mostly
... while others certainly are not
The comic updates at a slow pace — once weekly — and requires considerable knowledge of the setting to "get" everything; it isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy Exalted
check it out.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Creepy Child: The Inspector. So very much.
- Also, there's Haggle the Mortwight, who helped raise the Inspector... and comes across as quite childish. Breaking into someone's home to play a game with them (they die horribly) and another house to ask for candy (he asks, and then the next panel he walks out of their house sucking on a lollipop, without so much as a hint of blood on him. Moral of the story: the walking dead crave sweets, so keep some in your nightstand.)
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Petals.
- Destructo-Nookie: The Contessa and Lance seem to enjoy this. Well, she does, at least...
- Disproportionate Retribution: Freedom Man's reaction to hearing someone saying they want to be a better hero? He kicks them off a roof.
- To be fair, if they're a better hero then an Abyssal Exalt, they probably wouldn't even be phased by being kicked off a roof.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: The Silver Prince. As the description for that trope says, he goes beyond the natural limits of human appearance; his skin is paper-white and his hair is midnight-black.
- Eldritch Abomination: Captain Odysseus has one in his ship's hold.
- Emo Teen: Relic.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Wound declares she wants to be made a star by the leader of a Raksha carnival band, and deals with The Fair Folk never turn out well... although a filler strip implies she still winds up better than her brother who became Wyld Touched.
- Hearing Voices: The Neverborn speak to the Inspector. His parents have shut them out. Mostly.
- In the Blood: The Inspector and his siblings are Abyssal Half Castes, meaning they've got the potential to use some weaker Abyssal charms and are naturally attuned to death. They also are much more likely to be chosen to become full Abyssals by a Deathlord. This happens to the Inspector after Odysseus's ship wrecks. The Silver Prince comes for him, and he Exalts as a Day Caste... and Secret, he ain't.
- Living Ship: The Wyld did this to Captain Odysseus' ship.
- Mundane Utility: Why do you open up a hell portal in your closet? Well...
Contessa: WHY IS THERE A PORTAL TO MALFEAS?!
Petals: Well... we had to get the booze somewhere.
- Name That Unfolds Like Lotus Blossom: Well, this is set in Exalted...
- Offing the Offspring: The Contessa decides she needs to do this in order to stop the Neverborn from retaking her. While she, so far, hasn't had much success, Lance has proven to be not so adept at keeping the kids from getting into situations where they can off themselves (or suffer a Fate Worse Than Death), resulting in a Dwindling Party.
- Parental Substitute: After Inspector's Exaltation by the Silver Prince, the latter seems to have taken on this role for the former.
The Silver Prince: You are the son that I never had.
- Pyro Maniac: Lance is disturbingly fond of firedust. So is the comic's artist, or so her commentary claims.
- Restraining Bolt: The Wyld-touched beast in Captain Odysseus' hold is scared of the captain's cold-iron sword. Which he leaves stuck in the railing when he goes to release the beast to deal with the Inspector. Bad idea.
- Secret Identity: Lance masquerades as "Freedom Man" to fight injustice in Nexus. He isn't too good at it.
- And the Contessa is the Emissary.
- Shout-Out: To Barefoot Contessa, of all things. The Contessa's full name is "The Contessa Who Wears No Shoes".
- Stalker with a Crush / If I Can't Have You...: The Silver Prince is this way towards the Contessa, complete with Stalker Shrine. If she isn't amenable to a relationship with him once he gets her back, he's planning on "holding [her] prisoner until time stops."
- What Did I Do Last Night?: A drunken bender results in the Contessa losing her soulsteel blade and gaining an orichalcum one, much to her disgust.