Not even gravity defying teapots can make her enjoy it.
A MLP:FiM Fanfic
by Skywriter, centered around Princess Celestia and run on pure hilarity.
For thousands of years, Celestia was thought to be inseperable from her tea. For thousands of years, Celestia's loving subjects showered her with gifts of tea pots, exotic tea flavors, and tea parties. For a thousand years, Celestia put on a smile for her subjects.
But the truth is, Celestia hates tea. She's hated it since day one. She drinks it only because everyone has come to assume she likes it over centuries of her drinking it so as not to offend those who gift it to her and prepare it. But when her faithful student Twilight Sparkle returns from an ambassadorial mission with a present of a new tea flavor, Celestia decides to come clean with her millenia-old secret. What's the worst that can happen?
Can be found here
Has a follow up of sorts which reveals the original story to have been written by Twilight Sparkle
it's considerably less comedic and considerably more meta. It can be found here
An unofficial continuation by JadeCriminal
tweaks the final outcome to make it less bittersweet: Pinkie Pie In: Princess Celestia Hates Tea
Princess Celestia Hates Tea contains examples of:
- Beware the Nice Ones: Celestia incapacitates all of the ponies assaulting her note , cloaks herself in flames, and destroys part of the Royal Castle to announce that yes, she is Celestia, and no, she doesn't like tea.
- The Chains of Commanding: Celestia pretends to like tea again after seeing how important it is to her subjects. Her devotion to her subjects is the only thing keeping her from retching with every sip.
- Completely Missing the Point: After Celestia proves to Twilight that she is the real Celestia and she doesn't like tea, Twilight, in an effort to preserve her worldview, assumes that Celestia is actually Discorded and doesn't like tea because of that. And then forces her to relive every memory of "enjoying tea" to "restore her." The more you think about this thought process, the dumber it is.
- Downer Ending: Celestia is forced to pretend to like tea again, because of the obscene amount of chaos that will occur if people think she hates tea.
- Easily Forgiven: True to her character, Celestia forgives Twilight for throwing wild accusations that got herself blasted by magic and assaulted by her own guards. And blowing up her castle and the ensuring political mess.
- Greater Need Than Mine: Celestia kept the lie of her love for tea for thousands of years for the sake of her people and her loved ones. She accepts to holding up the lie again for the same reasons at the end of the story, even after she had to willingly submit herself to what could be called Mind Rape for her.
- Humiliation Conga: By the simple act of confessing she doesn't like tea, Celestia turns Twilight, the other Elements of Harmony, her own royal guards, her sister against her, and sends her nation into a state of uproar.
- Masquerade: Celestia hates tea, while the whole world believes it to be her favorite drink. And nopony will believe otherwise.
- Broken Masquerade: And who knew not liking tea would cause such an uproar?
- Twilight attempts this in the sequel to prevent ponies from finding out that she was the one who wrote the story about Princess Celestia hating tea. Subverted in that Celestia already knows and doesn't mind it at all.
- Mind Rape: Played for Laughs, as just like restoring her friends from being discorded, Twilight forces Celestia to relive every time she drank tea to "restore her".
- Mood Whiplash: Something Celestia notices in Twilight immediately after revealing her secret.
- Physical God: Celestia finally lets loose to prove she is the real Celestia. And to announce she doesn't like tea.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Twilight pulls these on Celestia to get her to reveal her secret hate of tea. We all know how that turned out.
- Rule of Funny: Why is such a big deal made over the fact that Celestia doesn't like tea? How is Twilight's paranoid ramblings able to turn Celestia's own guards against her? How come nopony can cast a simple identification spell? Because it'd be funnier otherwise, of course.
- Self-Deprecation: Given the in-story nature of the fic, Twilight apparently enjoys this.
- Serious Business: Tea. There are enough ponies with tea-related Cutie Marks to pack the palace audience hall tighter than a can of sardines, the kingdom almost falls apart when Celestia announces she doesn't actually like it, and as a filly Twilight forced herself to drink tea over and over until she acquired a taste for it because if Celestia likes it then it must be good.
- Snowball Lie: It's mind-boggling to consider how much of Equestria's political stability hinges around people thinking Celestia enjoys drinking tea. And it all started with a little white lie to spare a well-meaning Luna's feelings.
- Springtime for Hitler: It's mentioned in the sequel that Twilight never intended her story about Princess Celestia hating tea to become so popular with the Canterlot literary elite. It was an accident that it even got published in the first place!
- Trademark Favorite Food: Deconstructed for laughs. Everyone in Equestria and beyond adamantly believes tea is Celestia's favorite beverage. When she tries to come clean and admits that she actually hates the stuff, her subjects refuse to believe it and accuse her of being the Changeling Queen or being Discorded.
- Twitchy Eye: Celestia develops one when Twilight announces that she is going to make her relive thousands of years of tea-drinking experiences to "cure" her.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Twilight thinks Celestia is acting out-of-character by confessing she hates her favorite beverage, and so Twilight assumes the Changeling Queen has taken her place.
- The Royal Guard is quick to turn on Celestia, because they learned their lesson the last time they ignored Twilight's warnings.
A Short Story by Twilight Sparkle contains examples of:
- All Just A Story Twilight Wrote: The aforementioned follow-up, it which it's revealed that Princess Celestia Hates Tea was a fanfic authored by Twilight Sparkle.
Pinkie Pie In: Princess Celestia Hates Tea contains examples of:
- Fix Fic: Zigzagged, nothing about the original fanfic is changed but what comes after makes the original ending less dark.
- For Science!: Revolutionary science that is.
- Immediate Sequel: Picks up with Pinkie's point of view around the middle of Princess Celestia Hates Tea.
- Mad Scientist: Pinkie Pie embraces this trope.
- Recursive Fanfiction:
- Spy Catsuit: Worn by Pinkie as she sneaks into Canterlot.