Child of Grace
is a Harry Potter
fanfic written by Lady Azar de Tameran. This fic uses the widely fandom used
premise of "Harry as a girl"
, as well as combining it with the idea of Harry as a Slytherin.
The result is Holly Potter
, who befriends Draco, Blaise, and Millicent, has powers that canon Harry does not possess (such as mind-reading, telepathy, and blocking spells without a wand), and figures most plot twists out in the original books from the get-go, even though she goes all through the same adventures as Harry anyway.
Since it's an Alternate Universe
fic (emphasis on the "alternate"), your mileage will
The fic is now a Dead Fic
, having been last updated in 2010 and declared to have been abandoned by the author. It has been sporked here.
- Abusive Relatives: Taken Up to Eleven with the Dursleys. They lock her out of the house during a thunderstorm when she's six years old in the prologue alone. It's also mentioned that because of them, Holly is frightened of anyone touching her, is heavily black and blue under her clothes, and curtsies to all strangers because she has manners that the Dursleys "had all but beaten into her."
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Often done with chapter titles, such as "Diagonally Delightful," "Trains, Truces, and a Turning Point," "Halloween Havoc," "Talons, Tea Leaves, and Time Turners," and "Complicated Confrontation."
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Cinderella Circumstances: The fic takes the ones in canon for Harry and cranks them Up to Eleven for Holly, basically making her a near-copy of Cinderella in the beginning, complete with a treasured locket of her parents that is her only keepsake to remember them by.
- Damsel in Distress: Holly.
- Dead Fic
- Flat Character: While a lot of characters are introduced as a result of Holly befriending different people than Harry did, they get very little characterization beyond being Holly's friend, as well as the occasional Info Dump.
- Freudian Excuse: Blaise has an intense hatred of werewolves because one killed one of his fathers.
- Hates Being Touched: A result of the abuse she received from the Dursleys.
- Hypocrite: When Blaise calls Lupin a "damned beast" and hates him for being a werewolf on the grounds that a werewolf killed one of his fathers, Holly says nothing in disagreement, even mentally. When Lupin is outed as a werewolf and parents write in, on the grounds that a werewolf teaching their children is unsafe, Holly is furious about how narrow-minded and bigoted they are.
- Blaise himself is a hypocrite here, since he is often telling Holly about how open-minded and non-judgemental people who follow the Old Ways are.
- Informed Attribute: Holly is Sorted into Slytherin, implying that she has Slytherin qualities such as resourcefulness, cunning, and ambition. She hardly, if ever, demonstrates any of them.
- The Slytherins insist that they are unfairly prejudiced against, and are good people. They never demonstrate this, and after tormenting a muggle-born and a blood traitor (both first years) to the point where the muggle-born needs to be hospitalized, it's hard to fault the Gryffindors for assuming they're blood supremacists.
- In Spite of a Nail: Between Holly's powers and everyone fawning over her, she tends to get clues or even figure out the entire plot long before Harry did canonically. She always finds some excuse to not act on this information, so the plot won't change too much.
- It's All About Me: Whenever anything bad happens, everyone's immediate concern is how it affects Holly. For example, when her name is pulled from the Goblet of Fire, everyone including Lucius Malfoy devote their energies to seeing to it that she isn't bothered in the slightest by criticism or ridicule.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: The prologue literally opens like this, featuring six-year-old Holly huddling outside the Dursleys' house during a storm and watching them eat dinner through the window.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Though Holly sees Ron and Neville's suspicion of herself and Malfoy as being involved with the releasing the Basilisk as a sign of them betraying her, the fact remains that Holly has been ignoring her alleged friends from Gryffindor and letting her Slytherin friends mock and attack anyone (including Colin Creevey and Ginny Weasley) that annoy her in the slightest.
- Karma Houdini: Holly's friends attack poor Colin Creevey badly enough to send him to the Hospital Wing, all because he just wanted to talk to Holly and have a picture of her. They never get in trouble for this.
- MST: Done here.
- Muggles Do It Better: Heavily subverted. In spite of spending most of her life living in the Muggle world, Holly promptly discards all customs and traditions she observed in favor of the Old Ways.
- Purple Prose: The fic falls into this at times, often calling Holly's eyes "emerald orbs."
- Take Our Word for It: A rather unfortunate side effect of the fic's tendency to skip over the details of a lot of scenes.