Fan Fic: Total Zeksmit Series
Never underestimate the power of Zeksmit!Total Zeksmit
is Great Pikmin Fan's second attempt at a Total Drama
competition, and unlike his first attempt this is set in an Alternate Universe
where none of the actual seasons happened. Instead, Ezekiel "Zeksmit" Smithy had competed on a show by Chris called Extreme Musical Drama High School
, where he happened to win a special "Host your own miniseason" challenge held at some point. As reward, he starts up a game where the story begins at: The prarie campgrounds of Zekitunakwa, with the eleven girls from canon's first season competing as well.
Thus is the plot of the first season, Total Zeksmit Plains
. Unlike plans for the following seasons,
there will only be twelve chapters (counting a pair of Aftermath talkshows) and a special connecting it with the sequel. Following Plains
will be Island
, and Campsites Around the World
in that order, each of these adding Original Character
s to compete alongside the canon cast and by adding a few new gimicks not used in the canon series. There is also going to be a spinoff series called Total Zeksmit Side Stories
, which do not take place in a singular competition but is instead a collection of various stories in the Total Zeksmit
The fan fic was originally published under the title Total Fan Service Plains
and had contained reward challenges, thickening out the total chapter count from thirteen to twenty. This made it up to chapter seven (with a portion of eight written), before Pikmin Fan decided to retool the season due to the current formatting drastically slowing down the production and changed several of his plans. The original eight written chapters are planned to be republished on another website, but details on that have not been fully decided.
The first and only season so far can be found here
This fan fic provides:
- A Day in the Limelight: This is another one of those fan fics based on such: The host and co-host are Ezekiel and Justin respectivley, and the main villain seems to Eva. All three of which were characters eliminated rather early in canon, and while Justin did get something of an arc in Total Drama Action, it's dropped about halfway and completely forgotten while he's all-but replaced with a "better" version of him.
- Chapter 3 just about confirms this. As of its ending, the first three contestants voted off were all part of the final five of the original first season. With Owen and Duncan only having a 1/9th shot at being important this season, that means that the entire final five of Total Drama Island may be shoved off to the sidelines for the main story. Word of God saying that both Heather's elimination as well as the eliminations of chapters 2 and 3 being needed to advance the plot more quickly makes this even more true.
- Anyone Can Get Voted Off: First the apparant antagonist, then one of the apparant protagonists.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Heather.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Bridgette is the only contestant that Ezekiel does not feel confterable seeing naked. The rest of them he finds funny.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each of the campers are given a color-coding based on something involving their auditions (as that was all Ezekiel had seen of them at the time).
- Demoted to Extra: Any male from canon first season who isn't Ezekiel, Justin, or Geoff. Out of the first season guy contestants (and Alejandro), another one of them is set to appear at some point in this season. Chris and Chef are also demoted, though Chris has gotten a quick appearance at the beginning.
- Development Hell: According to the author's note at the end of chapter 3, the entire story is on a long pause until he publishes something new that isn't a Stylistic Suck work. Although he's at the finalizing phase for Carl Stevens Universe, and implied that this will finally end the "Something New Hiatus."
- Development Gag: In chapter 2, Ezekiel briefly refers to the Killer Jackrabbits as the Killer Grass before correcting himself, saying that he accidentally called them by the team name back when the series was in progress in-universe. However, "Killer Grass" was the name of the team back before the fan fic got an overhaul.
- Disc One Final Boss: The pilot sets up Heather as the main antagonist, complete with giving her a speech about eliminating each of the contestants. However, it turns out that one of her own plans completely backfires as she throws away an oppertunity at getting immunity and is rightfully voted off by almost half of the contestants.
- Egopolis: The reality show itself is named after a sort-of portmantaeu of Ezekiel's first and last names. Inverted with Zekitunakwa, which Ezekiel was named after.
- Establishing Character Moment: The fan fic makes itself clear which route it's taking with Ezekiel right from the beginning, as during the first chapter he is largely characterized through his responces to the camper's comments on the environment. Also there's Chris's first and currently only appearance, where it's implied that he made the ride for the campers unpleasant by deliberately driving badly. Kathy, the first OC properly introduced (re: not only shown in the old reversion), makes her first appearance by picking a deliberate diction that would scare Lindsay with the addition of commenting on her butt.
- Everyone Has Standards: Both Izzy and Courtney think that Eva's apparant plans for winning the competition are rather brutal.
- Courtney specifically draws a few lines: It's okay to form a secret alliance with someone, and it's okay to use that alliance to threaten outsiders to get what you want. (Thanks to Beth and Lindsay's prior experience with Heather, insiders on the other hand is out of the question.) But you better follow your word through, do not lie about convincing your teammates to kick yourself off.
- Ezekiel relies on making his challenges cheap sometimes and lets violence pass through, but he will not downright rig the game in his favor, or do anything else like Chris does. No Loophole Abuses here, unless another contestant tries to do the same — even then, Justin's the one who comes up with a way out.
- First Episode Spoiler: The elimination on the very first chapter (not episode, chapter), which in a way seems to be the kickstart for the plot of the season.
- In-Series Nickname: Parodied, Ezekiel wants everyone to call him Zeksmit, but so far the only people who do are either blatant kissups (IE Heather) or, for all intents and purposes, trying to troll/mock him. A few of the contestants don't even bother remembering what his actual name is.
- Ironic Echo: At the beginning of chapter 3, Courtney gives a speech out loud to herself about being in the lead and life being sweet. In the end, there's a confessional where Eva, after witnessing Courtney's own alliance flop in her face, repeats a similar saying in a confessional, with use of Punctuating for Emphasis:
Courtney: My team is ahead by a load, I'm making two new friends that garuntee us all free from elimination until Leshawna is out, and my biggest enemy has been gone for three days. Life is sweet.
Eva: My team is ahead by a longshot, I'm making one new friend while splitting her from her old friend, my biggest enemy is in an emotional panic and the last two campers who have so much as a shot against me are both eliminated now. Life. Is. Sweet.
- Missing Episode: Seven of them, three and a half of which have been written down already. The ideas were scrapped and planned to be moved to season 2's challenge ideas when the fan fic was remade from Total Fan Service to Total Zeksmit.
- Morality Pet: So far Beth is becoming this to Courtney.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The Dance Dance Revolution matchups towards the end of chapter 2, to the extent that Pikmin Fan compared it to events later on in the series. What that means exactly is unknown.
- Odd Friendship: Courtney forms one with Beth and Lindsay. At first, it was purely for competetive reasons, however within the same chapter as the establishment Courtney takes concern when Izzy wins the final challenge by making Beth slipup and hit her head, leading the other two to assume that she was actually trying to be real friends with them in the first place. And as it turns out at the end, Courtney's okay with that and she just rolls with it.
- Opposites Attract: It's implied (and confirmed by Word of God, keeping the same relationship from the old version) that Izzy has some kind of crush on Bridgette. The former is highly wild, chaotic, a near compulsive liar, and a pyromaniac while the latter is calm, prefers order, honest, and... well, prefers the water.
- Pet the Dog: Chapter 3 has Courtney refusing to vote for Leshawna and trying her best to keep her word in that she will give up the game if her plans flop after Leshawna follows them. She risks damaging her own alliance just so that Leshawna can go knowing that Courtney really isn't that bad.
- Running Gag: Apparantly characters getting Ezekiel's self-given nickname wrong in their audition. It's hard to tell right now with only three so far, but Heather had gotten it right (presumably in an attempt to kiss up to him) while Gwen and Leshawna both mistake it, though the former at least questions if she heard his name right.
- Sinister Scythe: Ezekiel's enegmatic assistant Kathy weilds one. She currently has yet to actually use it, however.
- Stepford Smiler: Chapter 3 implies this for Izzy of all people, when it comes to Bridgette. On the outside she treats her in a very "lead, follow, or get out of the way" adittude, and that since Bridgette disagrees with her about stopping Eva she's not going to bother with her anymore. Yet in the confessions, Izzy reveals that she actually regrets pulling up such a tough facade to her, because of the consequences of Bridgette's opinion on her being colored significantly.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The days and episodes are all one chapter and the pilot contains an elimination, so Heather is voted off on the same chapter she's introduced.
The old version provides examples of:WARNING: Major spoilers for the first few chapters, that aren't "officially" out yet!
- Accidental Innuendo: Word of God says that the team names are this, out-universe. He found a double meaning in them after publishing the first few chapters and clairified on his profile that it was unintentional.
- Acrofatic: Sadie can run up trees when needed. And is a rather good swimmer.
- Author Appeal: It's been getting increasingly obvious that Pikmin Fan does not like Lindsay, having putting her through several slapstick scenarios throughout the series. By chapter 7, her whiney-ness from the canon pilot also comes into play a lot, spending most of the chapter complaining and screwing up very badly by intentionally tossing boomerangs at her own teammates, causing her to lose the challenge and marking the first elimination challenge loss for the Killer Grass.
- Ascended Extra: Kathy appeared in a previous fan fic by the same author, Total Drama World Tour Rewrite. In it, her role was limited to two brief appearances and might have had a role in the Aftermaths had the fan fic continued, and she was an intern. In the TFS universe, she's the game's designer and plays something as a "mentor" to the contestants. Word of God says that she will be a contestant in the later seasons.
- Ascended Fanon: Of Total Drama, not TFS. Ezekiel's cousin and one of the later season competetors Zelda seems to be a gender bent version of fanon Ezekiel.
- Affectionate Parody: The premise is this of some of the more... "edgy" Total Drama fan competitions.
- Air Vent Escape: Invoked in-universe. The maze in the first chapter has four fake air vents that lead to an open space where one can climb out through one of those openings. The problem is, one of these drops straight into the prison cell.
- Alternate History/Alternate Universe/Twenty Minutes into the Future: The premise.
- As You Know: The elemental classes are appearanly common knowledge and the "norm" for this universe, so Izzy's explanation to Bridgette of them comes off as this. Averted with Courtney's rant that exposits on eight of the nine types.
- Big Bad: The beginning hinted at Heather being this, then there were some clues that Courtney would break from being the team's expendable and become this, but as of chapter five it's clearly Eva.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Heather.
- Door Stopper: This was Pikmin Fan's longest written fan fic so far. It was only seven chapters into its first season, but already around 61,000 words long.
- Butt Monkey: Justin, Heather, and Lindsay.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Day 2's second challenge had all five Screaming Hills winning their one-on-one match against the Killer Grass.
- Decoy Protagonist:
- Bridgette had been written as though she is a main character and would be very important later throughout the season, and was even the team captain of the Screaming Hills. And then she gets voted off a fourth of the way into the fan fic. To add insult to injury, chapter 6 has a cameo of Heather and Katie, post-elimination. The fan fic point-blank says that Bridgette is nowhere to be seen.
- Gwen, who is the other captain and seems to have an important role in antagonizing Courtney starting around chapter 6. She's voted off fourth, one chapter later.
- Demoted to Extra: The whereabouts of Alejandro, Cody, DJ, Duncan, Harold, Noah, Owen, Trent, or Tyler are currently unknown. At least one of them will be seen by the end of the first season, though.
- Development Hell:
- The pilot took around half a year between when it was created to when it was published (circa April to October 3rd), and even then it's in a bit of a "beta" phase. The second chapter was actually worked on for just around two weeks before publish, the publish for the chapter in question only being apart by two days.
- The span between chapters 3 and 4 was nearly eight months. It's been updating around once a month ever since, but that led to chapter 6 being published one year after the pilot.
- Disk One Final Boss: Heather, who is set up as the antagonist for the first chapter, is voted off first.
- Dissimile: In chapter 4:
Ezekiel: Okay campers, how many of you do not know of the story of Adam and Eve?
* Everyone exchanged glances, but nobody raised their hands.*
Ezekiel: Well, it does not matter. Because this challenge has nothing to do with that.
- Divergent Character Evolution: Katie and Sadie are starting to undergo this. Although with the former being eliminated early, and all the main development going to Sadie, a contrast to usual fandom trends.
- Ecchi: Not really, no. Parodied if anything.
- Elemental Powers: In this universe, there are ten "classes:" nine elemental classes, and a "neutral" type that doesn't have any powers. At first, onlt fire/heat, water, air, and plant were revealed (in chapter 4), but then Courtney explains four out of the remaining five types. The last one has been confirmed (as well as the others prior to the reveal) by Word of God, and as it has not been revealed in-story yet, it will be in spoilers:
- Even Evil Has Standards: Ezekiel gives himself several guidlines as to not be like Chris. Even so, sometimes the campers call him out as being a jerk.
- Fan Disservice: Chapter 5 features a naked Izzy serverly bleeding from a broken nose. Not as extreme as most examples of the trope, but still, ew.
- Fanon: Averted. Ezekiel's personality seems to be based on his self-centered self seen in Total Drama in every episode following his elimination.
- Foils: The teams are set up this way.To Elaborate
- Follow the Leader: Of Total Drama Comeback, to some extent.
- Hot Springs Episode: Parodied. There isn't going to be an entire episode in the hot springs per-say, but a trip there is the reward for the challenge in chapter 6. Although the experience there isn't actually on-screen; the chapter ends just as the contestants and Justin arrive, and that's really so that Justin can give the sign-off.
- Hypocrite: For all his talk about how he's better than Chris, Ezekiel can be a pretty big narcisist jerk himself sometimes. The contestants are more than aware of this.
- Jerk Ass: Ezekiel. Not as bad as Chris (or so he says...) but still.
- Love Triangle: Something of type 4 involving Bridgette, Ezekiel, and Izzy. To elaborate: Ezekiel and Izzy both have feelings for Bridgette, Ezekiel attempting to be subtle (but Justin picks up on it) and Izzy being outright straitforeward. Bridgette wants to try to take the relationship slower, but still hints at being attracted to her. However, she does not like Ezekiel, and the relation between Ezekiel and Izzy seems to be a Just Friends type of deal at this point.
- Luck-Based Mission: Defied. All of the challenges are going to be based on phyical skill (often with some hinderances), as stated in the author's profile description for this series. The closest the series has gone to this trope is, ironically, the first challenge, due to involving navigation of a maze layout that none of the contestants knew of before hand.
- Manipulative Bastard: Eva. Also, it's implied Justin is going to be this.
- Mythology Gag:
- Chapter 6 has an intern heavily implied to be modled off of Jean. They even share the same name.
- The same chapter reveals that Bridgette's adoptive parents are named Carl and Walter. Hecksing Ulumate Crconikals had a small joke about Carl Stevens sleeping with Hellsing's butler, Walter C Dornez.
- Next Sunday A.D.: The reversion takes place on 2042, beginning specifically at the point exactly 30 years after the 2012 end-of-the-world theory.
- Non Indicative Title: The fan service is actually only Once or Twice and Episode at most. Although the title is really more of a parody if anything.
- Orwellian Retcon: Sometimes the author goes back to add or change a few scenes in the earlier chapters.
- Paintball Episode: Arguably the first chapter. Although the contestants themselves had to run away from the gun-weilding interns.
- Personality Powers: Averted with everyone who has a revealed element class except Izzy and maybe Heather.
- Precision F-Strike: Up to a certain point, the fan fic never even had swears like hell or damn. The point in question? The Zeksmit Clipz of chapter 4:
Ezekiel: Oh fuck I didn't think we would really find something haunted in here!
- And pulled off by the same character at the end of chapter 5, only with a more minor swear
"Just kick Eva's ass for me."
- Ship Sinking: Chapter 3 simultainiously sunk Ezekiel/Bridgette and Ezekiel/Izzy. How? By hooking said two girls up with eachother.
- Shocking Elimination: Being a scripted series, this was invoked. The first two eliminations were deliberatly set up to resemble common fanon eliminations, (Courtney and Sadie) when the other, slightly more unexpected person gets voted off (Heather and Katie). Although averted in context; both people voted off have had more foreshadowing and reason than the other in the bottom two. (Heather was very much hated by everybody and provided a threat, and almost won immunity, while Courtney was at worst being strict with Gwen and Leshawna. Eva specifically wanted Sadie because she thought Sadie could pose a bigger threat to Eva's enemies, and with Katie and Sadie basically distracting one another one of them had to go.) Played much more straight with the third elimination, Bridgette, especially since that very chapter has slightly hinted at Sadie being voted off.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Apart from the campers, there's a heafty ammount of female interns who get injured as well, up to and including recoiling from taking a picture.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Heather and Ezekiel.
- Speak of the Devil: Early on, every chapter following Heather's elimination mentions her in some way or another. She doesn't return to the competition (Word of God says that there will never be any returning contestants), but she does make an appearance when the Screaming Hills — and Lindsay and Justin — are on their trip to the hot springs. Word of God says that this is a coincidence, and he admitted that the post-elimination cameo scene was not thought up until he was writting that specific chapter.
- Spiritual Sucessor: To Total Drama World Tour Rewrite, in a very, very loose way.
- Start My Own: Ezekiel's adittute towards Chris's old show Extreme Musical Drama High School.
- Stop Being Stereotypical: Gwen points out how stereotypical Ezekiel was being when he reveals the hockey challenge in chapter 3.
- Straight Gay: Bridgette. Also her (adoptive) parents.
- Stylistic Suck: Zeksmit Clipz.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Bridgette has one. Implied to take over when she's off her meds.
- Team Shot: Modeled after canon, only this one includes the hosts.
- Tempting Fate: The end of the first challenge: Heather, instead of leaving the maze and winning, decides to pull a prank with Lindsay to try to show the other campers that she's Badass. It backfires.
- Viewers Are Goldfish: Averted to the point that it's practically inverted, with the fan fic basically expecting people to remember something without going forward to look at a reminder. (Except for the teams and the eliminations, which a list at the bottom of every chapter shows.) The first recap is not going to be until the first Aftermath, which is a dosen chapters into the fan fic. Season 2 will be kinder with this, since the Aftermaths will be every 6 chapters as with the original Total Drama series. Ezekiel flat-out says on chapter two that if you don't remember what has happened, chapter one is easily available.
- Walking Spoiler: Bridgette. Her early elimination, relationship with Izzy (which was supposed to be a surprise in chapter 3), appearant evil split personality; the end of chapter 6 implies that there will be more to her character.
- Wangst: Invoked with Ezekiel, who sometimes whines about Chris.
- What Could Have Been: Tons, including this entire reversion.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Because the days are all one chapter, Heather is voted off in the very same chapter she is introduced. However, she does make a quick appearance along with Katie towards the end of chapter 6.
- Widget Series.
- Word Salad Title: "Total Drama [season theme]," but with "Drama" replaced with "Fan Service."