"When the draconequus race left the world, one child was left behind."
—Opening story hook.
"The Last Draconequus" is the first in a series of stories, set in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
universe, that help expand and deepen Discord as a character. Written by Alara J Rogers on the 15th
of November, 2013. In this story, we learn more about the Draconequus species as well as Discord's own origins. Can be found here
The Last Draconequus contains examples of:
- Entropy and Chaos Magic: The story is focused around, Discord, a god spirit of chaos.
- Functional Magic: Specifically Rule Magic. Madonna, mother of Discord, is the Principle of Motherhood, meaning her magic can only be used to aid her child and not herself.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Discord is the only Draconequus and has been since early in his existance.
- Missing Mom: Discord's mother, Madonna, vanishes at the end of the first chapter, along with the rest of his species. It is left unclear whether she is dead or has managed to Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence.
- The Artful Dodger: While this trope usually applies to children who live on the streets, it applies in this case despite the fact that Discord lives in the wilderness. After initially attempting to find food in nature, and mostly failing, Discord comes to thrive on and greatly enjoy stealing food from earth pony farmers, and will deliberately taunt them with his exploits (for example, leaving behind apple cores after sneaking into an apple cart and eating several of the apples as the farmer pulls the cart to market.)
- Sliding Scale of Living Toys: Discord uses his magic to animate a toy draconequus he made out of a discarded and partially destroyed stuffed pony. The toy, Little Sister, is a Level 4 (I've Got No Strings) when Discord is actively using his magic to animate her, though he removes the animating magic when he is sleeping or not present.