Fan Fic / The Infinity League
Can be read here
Summary by the author: Five years ago, a crushing defeat made Ash vanish from the world of Pokemon. Now, at the advent of the I-R Pokemon Tournament
he reappears, a new person. The Pokemon Hunters have a new leader, people with god-like powers are appearing, and there are even whispers of Civil War
. In a seemingly perfect world, nobody could possibly stop the chaos from happening. Nobody until now.
Description: The Infinity League is one of those "Ash disappears then comes back" fanfics. This particular fanfic in that genre is a well written one. It features several characters familiar and not so familiar
. Ash becomes an Aura Guardian and is in a relationship with a girl named Miranda Eon. Ash is also a Frontier Brain. Also, Miranda is apparently the incarnation of an Eon God
. The Infinity League has went through at least two Retcons
, but the changes are for the better in several peoples' opinion. Because of those retcons though, some of the stuff here may not be accurate.
Part 1 of The Infinity League
The 1st arc was a Tournament Arc
where people competed in the Inter Regional Conference.
The 2nd arc was the Civil War
Part 2 of The Infinity League
Tropes contained in The Infinity League:
- Aura Vision: Par for the course for an Aura Guardian. It is hard to see aura in inanimate objects though. Cynthia is one of those that can, due to Secret Legacy and all.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Cain leads the Royal Guardians, and is one powerful trainer.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Cain's and Korinek's plans to change the human genome in everyone succeeded. However, the death toll was higher than Cain at least was willing to accept.
- Benevolent Boss: When Vince took over the Hunters after he tried to kill Hunter J, he implemented several policy changes that made him far more liked by his subordinates then J.
- Big Bad: Two. Vince Korinek and Cain Bernhardt.
- Big Eater: When Ash's old friends first met Miranda, they were surprised by how much she ate. Later, Sonia and Aria were also shocked at seeing Miranda eat enough food for three people.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Remember that elder who appeared in Ash's flashbacks to when he first begun training as an Aura Guardian? She appears again later on to judge Cain's actions.
- Civil War: Between the Guardians and the Royal Guardians.
- The Dragon: Aero for Vince Korinek and Nier for Cain Bernhardt.
- The Starscream: Nier has his own agenda, revenge on Cain. It's due to jealousy. He also caused the cave-in which killed Cynthia's mother and her mother's crew, leaving only Leon alive. While he was dissapointed Leon wasn't dead, he framed Cain for the cave-in so Leon would work for him.
- Dramatic Irony: We readers know that Cain is bad news. Unfortunately, Cynthia doesn't know that because he keeps such a convincing charade around her that even readers are fooled, albeit temporarily. But still, that is some damn good writing.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even other Hunters were shocked at Tyler's sadistic behaviour when they tried to capture Miranda.
- Evil Plan
- Vince Korinek wants to rewrite the natural balance between humans and Pokemon to give great power to the Pokemon and ultimate control to the human. He plans on doing this with Miranda's DNA, since Miranda is a natural version of his goals.
- Cain Bernhardt did not explicitly say what his plan is, but it appears to be the standard global domination thing in addition to sharing Korinek's ambitions.
- Eye Colour Change: Miranda's eyes would change colour when she activates her power. And now, so does everyone else when they use their's.
- Flirting Under Fire: During Chapter 21, General Annette Hale does this to General Kevin Grannis. Grannis was not amused.
- God in Human Form: Miranda used to be seen as this by her former people. As such, certain tropes would apply from their point of view.
- Divine Date: This would apply since she's romantically involved with Ash.
- Hot God: She is a pretty girl, and noted by several characters.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Anabel was jealous of Miranda because of Miranda's relationship with Ash to the point that she said words that can't be taken back.
- The High Queen: Queen Ilene, queen of Rota and Aura. All Aura Guardians are answerable to her, except those of the Royal Guardians.
- Interspecies Romance: Ash's Ninetails has explicitly stated she likes him that way and his Gardevoir has given of strong hints that she has a crush on him.
- It Amused Me: The reason Ash kept his status as a Frontier Brain a secret was just so he could say "Surprise!".
- Kick the Dog: A Hunter named Tyler pretended to be concerned for Miranda's wellbeing only to punch her. Even some of the other Hunters were disgusted.
- Kid from the Future: Miranda has a daughter, somehow from 200 years into the future.
- The Little Detecto / Magic Compass: The chain of events that led to Ash training to becoming an Aura Guardian began with a friend of Cynthia's giving her a compass that is supposed to point to people with large amounts of Aura.
- Love Triangle: Between Ash, Miranda and Cynthia.
- Manipulative Bastard: Cain Bernhardt is such a smooth talker that he convinced Cynthia that he's the good guy. His speech was so convincing that the only reason the readers know it's an act is because he only keeps up the charade when Cynthia is present. When Cynthia isn't present, we get to see his real self. He does however, care about Cynthia, but only as a daughter of Claire, but it won't excuse the things he has done.
- Meet Cute: This is how Ash and Miranda met. Ash fell through her roof, Miranda was naked and she saved him from the guards who thought he was a threat. That's one hell of a first meeting.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Vince Korinek is a brilliant scientist. Too bad he is using his skills and knowledge for something that's bad.
- Official Couple: Ash and Miranda. After Miranda is taken by someone with a Celebi, Ash and Cynthia.
- Original Character: Many in this fanfiction. Miranda is one of them.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Miranda when she gets angry and when her pokemon are with her.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Though Cain and Korinek succeeded, the death toll was higher than Cain was willing to accept. There's no word on whether Korinek feels the same way.
- Reformed Criminal: Nel, who used to be Hunter J.
- Retcon: The changes were for the better in several peoples' opinion.
- Orwellian Retcon: Shaydrall went back and edited the chapters. Good luck finding the original versions.
- One of the things that was changed repeatedly was Miranda's origin story, specifically, what time period she was from. Originally, it was the present, then a few centuries ago, and finally, a few thousand years ago.
- Another thing that was changed was knowledge of Ash being an Aura Guardian. First it was open knowledge, then not so open knowledge
- Relationship Upgrade: After Miranda disappears with Nel, taken by someone with a Celebi, after two months, Ash becomes a couple with Cynthia.
- Reverse Mole: Riley has a contact in the Royal Guardians. Leon Shirona, Cynthia's father.
- Save This Person, Save the World: If Vince gets his hands on Miranda, his plans become closer to fruition since he gets her DNA. Unfortunately, he succeeded in getting her DNA.
- Secret Legacy: Cynthia, on her mother's side, has a family history such that she has a claim to the throne of Rota. This is something Cain is trying to take advantage of.
- Sensor Character: Aura Guardians can serve as this. Especially notable is Ember, a specialist in the field.
- Ship Tease: Ash and several other girls, despite Ash's relationship with Miranda. The only teasing that's plot relevant, outside of those with Miranda, are those with Cynthia.
- Time Skip: There is a 2-months long one between Chapters 22 and 23.
- Time Travel: Ash believes this is how he ended up meeting Miranda and the Eon Tribe eventhough they should have disappeared thousands of years ago.
- Tournament Arc: The first part of the story consisted of this. It got interrupted by Vince Korinek.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: This happened to Hunter J when Vince Korinek tried to kill her during the 5 years Ash was gone from the public eye. She became Neliell, Nel for short, as a result.
- The War Room: Queen Ilene has one in her castle.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Vince Korinek believes that what's he doing is for the good of humanity. The Aura Guardians disagree.
- Wham Episode:
- In Chapter 17, Vince Korinek successfully acquires Miranda's DNA, bringing his plans further into completion.
- In Chapter 18, the Royal Guardians declares war on the Aura Guardians.
- In Chapter 22, The Bad Guy Wins and Nier was the one who killed Cynthia's mother.
- In Chapter 23, Miranda and Nel are taken to the future, 200 years into the future, oh, and the woman who took them there is Miranda's daughter.
- Wheelchair Antics: After Miranda ended up in a wheelchair, she got into one of these, though not because she wanted to, but because the DOCTOR, Aria, wanted to. Aria's little sister, Holly, was not amused, mainly because she was getting chased by her older sister while Aria was wheeling Miranda.