Fanfic / The Blue Blur of Termina
A Sonic the Hedgehog/The Legend of Zelda crossover fanfiction
by FanFiction.Net user
and troper Komodin
, The Blue Blur of Termina
is a retelling of the events of the game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
, with some story elements from Sonic Unleashed
Following his latest victory over Dr. Eggman and the resealing of Dark Gaia, Sonic the Hedgehog
, in the spirit of the situation, decided to go on a worldwide expedition in search of adventure and new places to explore. Two months into the global trip, however, he ran into a pair of pixie pranksters during an expedition through the vast jungles of the Adabat continent. Using Tael, the younger of the two, as bait to lull Sonic into a false sense of security, the pair ambushed the altruistic hedgehog right as he was fighting off one of Eggman's remaining robots in the area. Later joined by the mischievous imp known by the Skull Kid, the trio of thieves made off with, among other trinkets, Sonic's Mystic Melody flute. After regaining consciousness in the middle of the trio's robbery, he discovered that his treasured flute was missing. Always quick to react, Sonic gave chase, following their trail.
The thieves' trail led him into a mysterious cave deep within the jungle he didn't even know existed. Rushing headlong into the enigmatic tunnel, he found himself looking over an expansive chasm as black as night. Just as he was about to turn back, a mysterious force sent him careening into the chasm below. After a fall that seemed endless, he soon found himself in a room in an unknown location. Not long after, he found that the trio of thieves was waiting for him in the mysterious room. Using an arcane spell, the Skull Kid jinxed Sonic and transformed his body into that of a Deku Scrub. Forced to cope with his strange new form, Sonic must also deal with his newly forged alliance with Tatl Berylia
, the feisty older partner of the Skull Kid. After she was carelessly abandoned by the Skull Kid, she reluctantly guided her new partner through a portal to a new world — a world that is in the midst of a looming great danger from the heavens above.What once started as a leisurely search for fun and adventure soon unfolds into a race against time to save the land of Termina: a world that seemed destined to fade...
Unfortunately, as of March 6 2016, Komodin has passed away
, meaning that this fanfiction is now likely a Dead Fic
Some of the tropes used in this story are:
- Another Dimension: Termina, to Sonic's Earth, accessible only via a portal deep within the jungles of Adabat.
- Ascended Extra:
- Tael: In the original game, he only had four, though all important to the plot, appearances in the entire game. Here, he has more appearances and forms a friendship with Sonic early in the story.
- The Great Fairy of Magic: In the original game, she was a minor character, only appearing once in context of the overall story. In this story, she not only has a given name (Lady Venus Berylia), but she also has a more direct connection with the main villain.
- Brother-Sister Team: When the Skull Kid isn't around for whatever reason, Tatl and Tael fill this role. Otherwise:
- Freudian Trio:
- Tatl Berylia (Id).
- Tael Berylia (Ego).
- The Skull Kid (Superego).
- Clock Tower: It serves as not only the central landmark of Clock Town, but also the main entrance to the rest of Termina from the Subterranean Forest.
- Colony Drop: Termina's moon, that is on a collision course with Termina.
- Facepalm: Tatl does one in response to Sonic's initial experience with the Deku Flower.
- Giant Spider: The Skulltula, whose size "could rival even the largest thoroughbreds."
- Global Currency Exception: As Sonic found out at the Clock Town Bank, rings, the official currency from his world, are not legal tender in Clock Town.
- Heart Trauma: The Skull Kid does this to Lady Venus by ripping her Heart Container out of her body.
- Hub City: Clock Town, the central hub of Termina.
- Ignore the Fan Service: The East Clock Town Guard, who not only didn't buy Tatl's half hearted attempt at flirting with him, but actually threatened her with imprisonment if she persisted.
- Inexplicably Awesome: The Happy Mask Salesman, who provides Sonic with a means to regain his original form, as well as inform Sonic on Majora's Mask.
- Little People: The Deku Scrubs and the Fairies.
- Magic Music: Sonic's Mystic Melody, whose capabilities range from healing the souls of the lamenting dead to outright time manipulation.
- Mode Lock: Sonic being stuck in the Deku Scrub form for the first part of the story.
- Never My Fault: Tatl deliberately stops Sonic from following the Skull Kid and, as a result, gets left behind and accidentally injured by him. She immediately blames Sonic for her predicament. He, in turn, immediately calls her out on it:
Sonic: If it weren't for you and your friend, you wouldn't even be in this mess!
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Both Sonic and Tatl issue one on a Skulltula encountered in the Bombers' Hideout.
- One Head Taller: Sonic and Tatl, with the latter as the taller of the pair.
- One of Us: The author, Komodin, is a troper.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Instead of being tiny, winged orbs of light, as in the original game, the fairies are brightly colored winged humanoids around Sonic's general size.
- Our Souls Are Different: Heart Containers, the metaphysical manifestation of a person's soul. The more powerful a person is, the larger (and more crystallized) their Heart Container will appear. Heart Containers of particularly powerful entities can even take on their own separate forms, should they be separated from their "bodies". Beings of godlike caliber harbor Heart Containers of truly limitless power.
- Pointy Ears: The fairy folks of Termina have them.
- The title of the story itself. Its current title is partially a reference to one of Sonic's fan nicknames. Its original title, Sonic and the Mask of Majora, was intended to be a reference to the Sonic Storybook Series title, Sonic and the Secret Rings.
- The flute Sonic uses throughout the story is the Mystic Melody, a mostly optional power-up from Sonic Adventure 2 used to discover secret items and areas.
- Tatl's odd habit of emphasizing her words whenever it's something she thinks is of note is a reference to the use of Rainbow Speak throughout The Legend of Zelda series, specifically when anything of note is brought to attention.
- The Great Fairy of Magic's name, Lady Venus, is a reference to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, where there was a character named Venus, Queen of the Fairies. In terms of this story, Lady Venus, Great Fairy of Magic serves a similar purpose to that of Venus, Queen of the Fairies.
- Super Speed: Sonic the Hedgehog, said to be able to run at over the speed of sound.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Sonic and Tatl, despite being allied under the mutual goal of finding the Skull Kid, are neutral to each other at best.
- Think Nothing of It: Tatl says this after she saved Sonic from the Deku Scrub-hating dog:
Sonic: Um, thanks for that save there, Tatl.
Tatl: Think nothing of it.
- Winged Humanoid: With the exception for Venus, all fairies sport two pairs of wings.