Fan Fic / My Little Earth: Humans Are Special
My Little Earth: Humans Are Special
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic written by Skyler Walker
in which Twilight Sparkle screws up a spell, ends up in someone's pool, transformed into a human, and is now living with a human by the name of Kyle West until she figures out a way home.
But while she is in the human world, Twilight decides to study the human culture and as is turns out the Human culture is actually similar from not only the Ponies but other races of Equestria. Over time, Twilight adapts to her situation, and learns more about the good, the bad, and the downright awful about our world.
My Little Earth: Humans Are Special contains the following tropes:
- Adorkable: Twilight of course. Her eagerness to learn about humanity is simply adorable even while in human form.
- Alien Arts Are Appreciated: Twilight seems to like human video games and definitely loves the internet.
- All Myths Are True: At least the ones about unicorns, magic, and so on as Kyle learns.
- Alternate Universe: Word Of God confirmed more than once that the Earth Twilight ended up on is the same as ours, except that My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic was never made.
- Artistic License – Military: Sergeant Walter Concord, a customer at Kyle's job is mentioned as being a former squad leader. Squads is an American term with the equivalent being "sections" in the Canadian military.
- Berserk Button: Do not make a sexual remark about Big Macintosh with Applejack nearby. A Pegasus mare named Speed Wing nearly learned that the hard way.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed:
- Fevered Speech who hung himself rather than be captured.
- In chapter eight, Twilight mentions how Minotaurs have a "death before dishonor" viewpoint. However it was not as extreme as WWII era Japan.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Unicorns who listen to Fevered Speech's speeches would become soldiers fighting for his cause as his special talent was speech infused magic which was basically brainwashing.
- Cool Airship: Equestrian pirates travel via airships instead of wooden ships. Twilight compares them to the ones in Final Fantasy.
- Fevered Speech is one to Adolf Hitler. He is responsible for the latest Equestrian (as in 250 years ago) war known as the "Uprising War" where Fevered had convinced (i.e brainwashed) unicorns that they were the superior race and to make Spurlin a unicorn only state and clear out the Earth Ponies and Pegasi. He's a Hitler expy, you can probably guess what is meant by clear out.
- Super Mario Bros. has an Equestrian expy called "The Mighty Momo Sisters".
- Emperor Hannibal Steelclaw, Emperor Imperious Steelclaw, and Gore Howl, the griffin who was responsible for the genocide of the Snowcap Clan, are mentioned as expies of Josef Stalin.
- Fantastic Racism:
- Fevered Speech, a unicorn believed that Earth ponies and Pegasi were inferior.
- There was a period in Equestrian history where mares looked down on stallions.
- Gamer Chick:
- Aunt Polly is mentioned as being one. Kyle mentioned that she always loved the Mario games, even the bad ones.
- Twilight seems to be getting more and more into video games as the story goes on.
- Going Native: Twilight gets more into the human culture as part of her research, even eating an A&W Mama burger.
- Great Offscreen War: The Pony-Griffin War, the Separation Wars, Fallen Crown War, and the Uprising War. The last one being the pony version of the Holocaust and the bloodiest two months in Equestria's history.
- Harmless Villain: Equestrian pirates were said to be very sloppy and were rounded up by the Royal Guards in no time.
- Heroic BSOD:
- Twilight finding out that Earth cows can barely make a knowledgeable statement (thanks to a spell Twilight cast on them). This along with missing her friends and family back in Equestria drives her to tears.
- Again when Twilight watches a documentary on the Holocaust.
- Humans Are Special: As she researches more and more on humans, Twilight to think this primarily because of human technology and the fact of how much they have evolved. Hell, its right there in the title.
Twilight: And while the war (World War II) produced untold horrors it also showed what makes humanity great; individuals rising above and beyond the call of duty.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Averted. Twilight knows how low humans can go but knows that the amount of good humans outnumber the bad ones plus she is aware of pony equivalents of well known bad humans such as Fevered Speech, a pony expy of Adolf Hitler.
- Humans Are Warriors: As Twilight learns more about the major wars of humanity, she starts to think that humans can be warriors primarily due to the fact they are all "predator species" and even says that they are better at war than the Griffins, the closest equivalent of humans when it comes to warfare.
Twilight: "Humans are, sadly, better at warfare then Griffons and tend to engage in wars on a large scale."
- Humanity Ensues: Twilight after she ends up on Earth. Subverted in that she can change back into pony form at any time she wants.
- Interspecies Romance: Averted. Word Of God said that he has no plans on Twilight and Kyle's relationship to go anything past platonic. Despite this, it doesn't stop some characters to mistake them for a couple.
- Intrigued by Humanity: Twilight.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Briefly in chapter one.
"A bright light suddenly flashing and depositing a naked (And now wet) girl in his backyard was beyond 'not normal'. It was so weird that you could write a novel about it. Or a lame piece of amateur dribble online
- Like a Son to Me: How Polly, Kyle's aunt viewed him due to not being able to bear children.
- Ms. Fanservice: Twilight's human form.
- Meaningful Name: Lifting Sparrow, the Pegasus stallion that stole an airship from the Royal Guard. As pointed out by a reader.
Jack: 1. a device for lifting heavy objects, esp. one for raising the axle of a motor vehicle off the ground so that a wheel can be changed or the underside inspected.
Jack = Lifting
Lifting Sparrow = Jack Sparrow
- Mundane Fantastic: The technology we take for granted greatly amazes Twilight.
- Naked on Arrival: Take a guess.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Fevered Speech.
- Next Chapter Hook: In some of her letters, Twilight hints at the next ones being about religion, vehicles, or nuclear energy.
- Not So Different: The more she researches human culture, the more similarities Twilight finds with not just Ponies but with the other races of her world.
- Oh Crap!: Twilight's reaction when she first awakens as a human.
- Pirates in Equestria are mainly female and tend to embrace to romanticism of piracy, and are so sloppy that the Royal Guards have little trouble with them. They also travel by the skies.
- The Diamond Crest Pirates on the other hand, were lead by a Diamond Dog that knew what he was doing and were much more successful.
- Precision F-Strike: Kyle delivers one in chapter eight, when describing Hitler's insanity.
- Product Placement:
- Really Gets Around: Cloud Kicker according to Twilight.
- Schizo Tech: Equestria does not have cars, television, and so on but they do have video games with graphics equal to the "8-bit" era. Justified by the fact that Equestrian video games are made by magic rather than technology.
Twilight: "…Except Cloud Kicker, but her life's goal seems to be to sleep with all of Ponyville."
- During a period of sexism in Equestria, a Pegasus stallion named Lifting Sparrow leads a resistance along with other stallions and together, they steal an airship from the Royal Guards. He becomes Captain Sparrow.
- Shown Their Work: In-Universe. While playing Sid Meier’s Pirates!, Twilight is impressed on how accurate it is to actual pirating.
- Sky Pirate: According to Twilight, this is on of the key differences between Human and Equestrian pirates.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Twilight, twice during chapter eight.
Twilight: To be blunt once more, Your Highness, the anti-war Americans became very pissed off.
- Squee: Twilight emits an adorable one when she learns of the internet, Wikipedia, and Google.
- Sugar Bowl: Downplayed. Equestria is pretty peaceful but it has had its dark points in history.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Discussed. With all the time Twilight has been on the internet, Kyle is amazed on how she hasn't come across porn yet. Not that he's complaining.
If she missed all of the online porn then it was a small miracle that Jesus himself would have been hard pressed to pull off.
- Tomboy: Aunt Polly is this. Bonus points for also being a Gamer Chick.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Meat in general seems to be becoming this for Twilight, in her human form at least.
- Trapped in Another World: Twilight.
- Troll: Twilight comes across one while playing Starcraft multiplayer for the first time in chapter five.
Kyle: Most of the guys playing it are good people, but some tend to... Use the anonymity of the internet to be worse people than they really are. Add to that the facts that games like Starcraft tend to have a few elitist around, and, well...”
- Values Dissonance: Discussed In-Universe in Twilight's first letter to Celestia about the humans, using diets as an example.
Twilight: "Diet varies depending on where the human is located. In some areas insects are a normal part of the diet, in others people would not think of consuming them. "
- Villainous Breakdown: Twilight says this happened to somepony she once beat in chess.
- Your Cheating Heart: Kyle's last girlfriend, Linda cheated on him.
- Your Normal Is Our Taboo: Monogamous relationships and clothes are considered anti-social and for nobles only respectively in Equestria.