Octavia is getting a bit suspicious of her roommate Vinyl Scratch, better known as DJ Pon-3. Her irrational fear of the sun. Her nocturnal habits of locking herself in in the dark and closing all the blinds. Wearing her sunglasses everywhere, even inside! Maybe it was time to invest in some silver, garlic, and a wooden stake.
Oh, and halfway through Octavia becomes a Lycan, figures.
. Can be heard read by aboredbrony here
- Actually Not a Vampire: Subverted, Vinyl claims to be just an albino in chapter 4, and that the blood bags in the fridge are just props filled with pomegranate juice.
- Mare Meets Ghoul
- The Cavalry: Luna, the Inner Circle, and the Night Guards show up just in time to rescue Vinyl and Octy.
- Enemy Within: Octy's lupine side, she has to fight it for self-control in one chapter.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Guns are Griffon weapons (seeing as they have hands) but have been adopted by hunters. Silver Streak's actions get them banned entirely in Equestria
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Fur Against Fang: Averted, Octavia asks about it after becoming a lycan but apparently there's no reason for conflict (though there is a little friendly rivalry).
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Octavia initially tries being the "good cop" when she and Vinyl are interrogating a captured Silver Horseshoe. When that doesn't work she threatens to eat him.
- Hemo Erotic: Subverted, Octy finds that being fed on isn't quite as romantic as the novel she read made it seem.
- The Hunter: The Silver Horseshoes, especially their leader Silver Streak, they attempt a city-spanning Van Helsing Hate Crime by contaminating the water supply with silver
- Innocent Innuendo: A bit of erotic sounding description of what turns out to have been a banana split.
- And another time it's a simple massage
- Lesbian Vampire
- Lethal Chef: Vinyl's one of those ponies who can burn juice apparently.
- Masquerade: Maintaining it is Vinyl Scratch's job, at least until she gets suspended for blowing up a newspaper office that got a photo of Octavia in wolf form
- Monsters Anonymous: The Inner Circle, they meet Fridays at the donut shop.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Octavia's parents are both unicorns, they consider her lack of a horn to be a "disability".
- My Instincts Are Showing: Lycan-Octavia "SQUIRREL!"
- The Nose Knows: Octavia tries to track Vinyl by scent, but she disguises it with perfume. Later she is able to pick up her scent at a motel where a bunch of hunters got mauled.
- Odd Couple
- Our Vampires Are Different: They're actually a subrace of pony, rather than undead; it can be hereditary or acquired (which takes more than a bite), and they're not immortal. Also seem to need ordinary food (no garlic).
- Our Werewolves Are Different: They're called "Lycans", and can transform at will, but involuntarily at the full moon. And need to be careful they don't become feral.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Vinyl's flicker between magenta and red
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Octavia describes Vinyl and herself as such in the first chapter.
- Stages of Monster Grief: After being infected with lycanthropy Octavia initially has some trouble accepting her new self, getting drunk and eviscerating a rabbit at the lowest point. But after a mental struggle for dominance with her wolf self she manages to reach Acceptance.
- Sunglasses at Night: Vinyl's family wear Cool Shades all the time.
- Transparent Closet: Octy apparently before the whole "vampire" incident.
- Vampire Monarch: Princess Luna, though she's much less formal in her role as founder of the Inner Circle than as co-ruler of Equestria.
- Vampires Are Rich: Averted by Vinyl (especially the "aristocratic" bit), played straight by pretty much every other named vampires in the story, including her parents Hoity Toity and Photo Finish.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Blood bank variety
- Warm Blood Bags Are Everywhere: Vinyl all but says it when she sees Octy's dad bleeding.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Shortly after being turned, getting into a fight with her mother, and telling off her bandmates, Octavia gets drunk and wakes up covered in (rabbit) blood.
- As an aside, the rabbit was the interrogated Silver Horseshoe's pet.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Bad enough to her parents that Octavia's an earth pony, if they knew she was a fillyfooler or involved in the supernatural...
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Turns out to be dye, Vinyl's mane is actually white.