Book Two of the Angelic Crisis Saga
. Vayne Shirewood, ruler of a budding empire, returns home from war in a distant part of the world. A year later, a terrible illness strikes his country, killing those with magical blood. Unfortunately, this includes his wife, whose death almost destroys him. Driven by grief, he tries resurrecting her. This backfires, horribly.
On the verge of death, Vayne is forced into a deal with the Angel of Chaos, Katosiel
, and to do whatever bidding the angel wants him to do. For Vayne, and his planet, this means the destruction of the magic that flows through the world. Vayne
is more than happy to oblige.
However, Vayne's mysterious friend Qin
just might have other plans. Toss a budding rebellion into the mix
, and things really start to hit the fan.
End Of An Era is part of a prequel series to a collaborative project that themagicdance
are working on. Presumably, it will be completed during NaNoWriMo
's new summertime counterpart, Camp NaNoWriMo
Now has a character sheet
, currently under construction.
This novel provides examples of:
- Always Identical Twins: Vayne and his brother Valian.
- Ban on Magic
- Big Bad: Vayne himself, or so he thinks.
- Black Magic: Necromancy, to the point where those practicing it are usually executed.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Feliaed to his sister Nikara, in a gambit to free the rest of their people. It doesn't quite go as planned.
- Celestial Bureaucracy
- Children Are Innocent: Played straight with Aelissa and Saelac. Subverted with Kalian, Dimitri, and Drucocu.
- Clock Punk
- Cool Sword: Both Vayne and Qin have one.
- The Corruption: Chaos and its effects.
- Creepy Child: Drucocu
- The Dark Arts
- The Dark Side
- Deal with the Devil: Two of them, both by the same person.
- Despair Event Horizon
- Dungeon Punk: Ended by the plague, forcing society to evolve.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Three of them.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones
- Evil Feels Good
- Evil Parents Want Good Kids: Vayne would rather his daughter grow up happy.
- Evil Twin: Vayne to Valian.
- Exact Words
- Fantastic Racism
- Five-Bad Band
- Five-Man Band
- For Great Justice: Vayne sees his goals as this.
- Freudian Excuse: A number of characters have this within their backstories.
- Functional Magic: Though it's vanishing for a number of reasons.
- Gilded Cage: What Princess Aelissa is being raised in. This will likely apply to Prince Saelac as well.
- Give Me a Sign: Invoked by Vayne.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: When Winnela takes the mantle of ruler, things change. A lot.
- Heir Club for Men: Lusec is highly patriarchal, as is dragon society.
- Hero with Bad Publicity
- Ignored Epiphany
- Ironic Echo: "Funny thing about promises..."
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Vayne attempting to bring Alais back to life.
- Kill the Cutie: Responsible for the breaking of Vayne.
- La Résistance
- Living on Borrowed Time: Selling your soul twice really puts a damper on your life.
- Love Makes You Evil
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: The Royal Jailer, Ceid.
- Magic is Evil: At least, Vayne thinks it is.
- Magic Versus Science
- Manipulative Bastard: Qin is very proud of himself.
- Married to the Job: Vayne, though he believes it’s for the greater good.
- Mind Rape
- Mystical Plague: Has wiped out almost all of the magical beings on the planet.
- Necromantic: Let's just say grief counseling would have been a big help.
- Oh Crap: When the tables get turned on Feliaed.
- Order Versus Chaos
- Our Angels Are Different: Katosiel, among others.
- Our Dragons Are Different: They can shapeshift into a humanoid form.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: They, too, can shapeshift.
- Parental Neglect: Vayne loves Aelissa, he really does. He's just very busy.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: Vayne is turning Lusec into this.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Winnela has many of these. She loves her frills.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Vayne and Valian, given that Valian was sent off to magic school.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: Vayne, of course. The dragon prince Kelith also has items of this nature.
- Sanctuary of Solitude: The chapel beneath the palace
- Shapeshifter: The Shifters, obviously.
- Slashed Throat: Happened to Drucocu as an infant. He survived, but it rendered him mute.
- Slave Collar: The dragons end up with these. They do double duty as mind control devices.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Vayne and Winnela’s son, Saelac.
- The Starscream
- Steam Punk
- Strong Family Resemblance: Though still a child, Aelissa bears quite a resemblance to her mother. This does not fair well on Vayne's psyche.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: The dragons, some of the wolves.
- There Are No Therapists: If there were, there would be a lot less problems.
- Tragic Dream
- Villain Protagonist: Vayne Shirewood, all the way.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Well, Vayne is a king, after all.
- Visionary Villain: Again, Vayne.
- Witch Hunt
- You Can't Fight Fate: Vayne learns this in a highly undignified manner.