Creator: Luc Besson
Luc Besson is a French director, writer and producer.Besson's parents were scuba diving instructors, and his initial ambition was to become a marine biologist. However, at age 17 he had a diving accident which left him unable to dive, and out of the resulting boredom he began to write stories and work in the film industry.Since then, he has worked on more than 50 movies with EuropaCorp (the studio he founded), although he only directed 15 of them.He is one of the three directors credited with creating the French "cinéma du look", a French film movement of the 1980s whose films favoured style over substance. At least that's what the critics say. They often featured young people, often in love with each other, lost in urban Paris.Besson has been criticized in Europe as the most "Hollywoodian" of French filmmakers. Cheap action movies written and produced by him have been panned by some as "slick and commercial".
Films directed by Luc Besson:
- Le Dernier Combat (The Last Combat)
- The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu)
- The Professional (Léon)
- The Fifth Element (Le Cinquième Elément)
- The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc)
- The Arthur and the Invisibles trilogy (Arthur et les Minimoys)
- The Extraordinary Adventuresof Adele Blanc Sec
- The Lady
- Malavita (known as The Family for international release)
Films written and/or produced by Luc Besson include:
- The Taxi series
- Banlieue 13, its sequel Banlieue 13: Ultimatum and its remake Brick Mansions
- The Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse
- The Transporter and its sequels
- Taken and its sequels
- From Paris with Love
- Danny the Dog
- Kiss of the Dragon (Le Baiser mortel du Dragon)
- Three Days To Kill
Tropes associated with Luc Besson's films
- Action Girls: Armed women is a common motif in his films.
- Always Save the Girl
- Dirty Cop: Corrupt cops factor into many of Besson's films.
- Invincible Hero: Besson's action heroes are typically supreme badasses set against impossible odds.
- Production Posse:
- Besson has cast Jean Reno in several of his films, including his first four.
- He cast his former wife Mila Jovovich as the female lead in two films.
- Not to mention composer Eric Serra, wo worked on all of his directed films.
- Le Parkour David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli are typically behind the stunts and fight choreography of his films, if not in front of the camera.
- Write What You Know: Not surprisingly for a former diver, Besson's first wide release film was The Big Blue, which is about... divers.