Angelina Jolie, DCMG
(born Angelina Jolie Voight, June 4, 1975) is an American actress and Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency. She is the daughter of actors Jon Voight
and Marcheline Bertrand.
She has received three Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and an Academy Award
. Jolie has promoted humanitarian causes throughout the world, and is noted for her work with refugees through UNHCR. She has been cited as one of the world's most beautiful women and her off-screen life is widely reported. Divorced from actors Jonny Lee Miller
and Billy Bob Thornton
, she's currently married to actor Brad Pitt
. She and Pitt have six children: Maddox, Zahara, Pax, Shiloh, Knox and Vivienne. She has multiple tattoos, several of which she has had removed or covered over the years, most notably her "Billy Bob" and dragon tattoos. She has also been very open and honest about her "wild child" past and her bisexuality.
She is known for her varied roles (though she does tend to be cast as strong female characters, usually Action Girls as of late
) and her critically acclaimed acting, including winning an Oscar for her role in Girl, Interrupted.
Unfortunately, her incredible acting skills and charity work tend to be overshadowed by (usually false and malicious) rumours, her personal life, her estrangement from her father (they couldn't be more different), and, more recently, her relationship with fellow actor Brad Pitt
. Her career started off very quietly, with a lot of independent movies and low-popularity fare (which featured a ton of nudity and a lot of Wild Child-type parts), before a big break (in Girl, Interrupted
) got her an Award nomination and mainstream credibility. Unlike many actresses, she continued to do nude work well after she hit big.
In 2011, she made her directorial debut with In the Land of Blood and Honey
, a low-key drama about the Bosnian War. In 2014, she directed the World War II
She has recently become highly active in efforts to end sexual violence in conflict, heading up a major summit on the issue held in London.
Tropes concerning Angelina Jolie:
- Action Girl: Is well-known for playing them, although it certainly isn't the only type of role she can play. Examples include Lara Croft, Jane Smith, Evelyn Salt, Fox, and Maleficent.
- The most bankable Action Girl in Hollywood history; according to Box Office Mojo, three of the top seven highest-grossing films under its Action Heroine category are Jolie films, and the list doesn't factor in Wanted, in which Jolie had a prominent Action Girl supporting role and would place fourth on that list if it was included.
- Bi the Way
- Biopic: Portrayed Gia Marie Carangi in Gia.
- The Cast Showoff: She notably does many of her own stunts in her movies, such as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Salt.
- Dye Hard: Her natural hair colour is dark blonde. While she does sometimes appear in films with blonde hair, she's best known for dying her hair various shades of brunette.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: She's a master of this when the role requires it. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider is a good example.
- Fake Brit: Has put on English accents for her roles in the two Lara Croft: Tomb Raider movies, The Tourist, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Maleficent.
- Hollywood Hype Machine: A major success story. It got behind her around Girl, Interrupted and hasn't stopped since, and shows few signs of faltering.
- Howl of Sorrow: She is very, very good at this when the role calls for it, especially in A Mighty Heart.
- Knight Fever: She has been awarded an honorary damehood by the British government for "services to UK foreign policy and the campaign to end warzone sexual violence". As she is an American citizen, this does not make her Dame Angelina.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is one of the most prolific actresses in Hollywood history for showing her naked body in film - easily one of the most nude "mainstream" stars. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Wanted are recent examples. Her early work adds up to the point where she has more movies where she got naked than ones where she didn't.
- Never Live It Down: Her and Billy Bob Thornton's bizarre habit of wearing vials of each other's blood around their necks during their marriage (which they destroyed when it ended).
- Real-Life Relative: Made her film debut alongside her dad, Jon Voight, in Lookin' to Get Out. They later co-starred as father and daughter in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Her youngest daughter Vivienne appeared alongside her in Maleficent.
- Romance on the Set: With her husbands (Jonny Lee Miller in Hackers; Billy Bob Thornton in Pushing Tin and Brad Pitt in Mr. & Mrs. Smith).
- Star-Making Role: As Lisa Rowe in Girl, Interrupted.
- Type Casting: She's famous and talented enough to get any role she wants, but audiences tend to only buy her as a Femme Fatale or Action Girl. She's done several other character types, but they rarely do well at the box office.