Playing by Heart
is a 1998 romantic dramedy featuring an All-Star Cast
. The film follows a number of characters living in Los Angeles and their relationships.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Joan makes one for Keenan after he reveals he's got HIV.
- Dark Secret: Keenan avoids getting too close to Joan, until he reveals that he was infected with HIV by his last girlfriend.
- Drink Order:
Joan: [to waitress] I'll have a vodka martini, very dry, straight up. Three olives, and... my sullen friend here will have...
Keenan: A Coke.
- Faux Yay: Hugh attempts this at a gay bar, but the Drag Queen he's chatting to sees through the ruse.
Lana: Lana may be three sheets to the preverbial wind, but I don't believe a single word coming out of your pretty, straight, little mouth.
- Fiery Redhead: Joan. Meredith has the red hair, but not the personality.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: For Keenan, with devestating consequences.
- Happily Married: Paul and Hannah. Averted with Gracie and Hugh.
- Hyperlink Story: The final scenes of the film reveal how the characters are linked- Joan, Meredith and Gracie are Paul and Hannah's daughters; Hugh is Gracie's husband and Roger is the celebrant who is presiding over Paul and Hannah's renewal of their vows. A couple of scenes earlier, Mark is revealed to be Meredith's ex.
- Silly Rabbit, Romance Is for Kids!: Meredith's view of relationships- after getting hurt one too many times she's reluctant to get involved with Trent.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Joan
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Keenan
- Your Cheating Heart: Played straight with Gracie who is cheating on Hugh with Roger who is also cheating on his spouse.
- Keenan's first girlfriend cheated on him, and consequently infected him with HIV.
- Averted with Paul, who admits to Hannah that he toyed with having an affair with a former co-star in the past, but resisted temptation.